Clippercreek LCS-25P

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb

Any feedback about the Clippercreek LCS-25P would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on buying it but don't know whether to get the L6-30 or 14-30 plug? What's the difference between the two plugs? And does anybody know how long it take to charge their Leaf with this EVSE?

Why would you buy that when you can upgrade your existing EVSE that came with the LEAF and get more features?

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's half the price of the clipper creek.

And then with the EVSE upgrade you can buy all the adapters that you want so that you can plug in anywhere!

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's an Album of photos I took when I added a 30A 2 Pole Breaker at my Parents house and the last image shows me charging up my LEAF and tells what the GOM said after every hour

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.660747094002338&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the EVSE Upgraded Stock LEAF EVSE plugged into a L6-30 Twist lock connection and pulling 20 Amps I can charge up my 2013 LEAF at around 19.5 miles added per hour.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=667017900057765&set=oa.660747094002338&type=3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lasareath said:
Why would you buy that when you can upgrade your existing EVSE that came with the LEAF and get more features?

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only additional features that the EVSE Upgrade gives you is the ability to charge at 120 volts/12 amps or 240 volts at 16 amps. The LCS 25(P) requires a 25 amp or more 240 volt circuit.

One advantage of going with a dedicated 240 volt EVSE is you're not having to find an alternate charging source while the OEM one is being upgraded. Rush service is $75 extra and requires an $800 hold on your credit card until you ship yours back in new condition.

Please do some research before you post.

Your statement is incorrect.

You can dial in as many amps as you want in 1A increments from 6A to 12A @ 120V and 6A to 20A at 220V

The unit is programmable on the fly as you need it.

I live in NJ and it took 6 days round trip. No additional $75 and I did not pre-pay $8 hundred whatever you're talking about.

Lasareath

RonDawg said:
Lasareath said:

The only additional features that the EVSE Upgrade gives you is the ability to charge at 120 volts/12 amps or 240 volts at 16 amps. The LCS 25(P) requires a 25 amp or more 240 volt circuit.

One advantage of going with a dedicated 240 volt EVSE is you're not having to find an alternate charging source while the OEM one is being upgraded. Rush service is $75 extra and requires an $800 hold on your credit card until you ship yours back in new condition.

Lasareath said:
Please do some research before you post.

Your statement is incorrect.

You can dial in as many amps as you want in 1A increments from 6A to 12A @ 120V and 6A to 20A at 220V

The unit is programmable on the fly as you need it.

I live in NJ and it took 6 days round trip. No additional $75 and I did not pre-pay $8 hundred whatever you're talking about.

It still doesn't make it that much more useful except to a small subset of users. 6 Amps at 240 volts is the same as 12 Amps at 120 volts, meaning it's not much more useful than L1 charging (except to minimize losses which will be greater at 120 volts). 6 Amps at 120 volts is really "trickle" charging and would take nearly 2 days to fully charge a fully depleted Leaf. I would recommend spending the money to upgrade your electrical before putting up with such a slow charging rate.

6 days to get your EVSE back is still 6 days that you can't use it, and if you don't have convenient alternate charging access it's 6 days that you can't charge your car.

The EVSE Upgrade is a great product, but it's not for everybody, just like a 32 amp EVSE is not for everybody either. I am saying don't just go blindly with people telling the OP that the EVSE Upgrade is the greatest thing in the world, because it too has its limitations.

BTW before telling me I need to research better, since you have not heard about EVSE Upgrade's Advance Replacement Service, here's the quote from their FAQ page: http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=4&faqs_id=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are 2 options if you cannot be without your EVSE: One is to buy an additional from us. You can buy this regardless of which existing unit you have and we ship world-wide. The other option applies only to US owners who have a Nissan-Branded unit in like-new condition; our advanced replacement service. This costs an additional $75 service fee and you must also provide a security deposit (this is the $800 hold on the credit card -- RD). We then send you out an already upgraded unit, then once you receive it, you promptly ship us back your original unit. Once we receive your original unit in like-new condition, we then issue a refund for your security deposit. This service is contingent on having available units in stock, so there can sometimes be a wait time before your unit ships, but in the meantime you still have your original unit for Level 1 charging. Note: Your original unit must be tendered back to the shipper within a few business days in received in like-new condition to avoid late fees and receive your full deposit. This is so others have a chance to use the service, so please do not order an advance replacement if you do not yet have your car! (or your unit is not in new condition) To order this option, simply select it before adding the upgrade service for your unit to the cart. Please contact us if you have any questions about this option.

Maybe he wants a second evse to use. You can build an openevse that has user adjustable amperage for not much more. Openevse is a great format. I have built plenty. If you need help let me know.

Ps even if it does cost you a little more you then have 2 chargers. You could leave one in the car and one in the garage. It's so much easier when you have one that's left in the garage.

I have a ClipperCreek LCS-25 hardwired in the garage. They make high quality hardware, and have been making these products for a long time. They have great support on their products.

Note that I also did the EVSE upgrade on the EVSE included in my 2013 Leaf SV. Having both allows me to have L2 charging both at home and on the road at all times without the hassle of stowing the EVSE in the car every morning.

Deb said:
Any feedback about the Clippercreek LCS-25P would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on buying it but don't know whether to get the L6-30 or 14-30 plug? What's the difference between the two plugs?
The plug should match the outlet. For portable use get the L6-30.

I bought this unit and installed it in my garage for backup as I normally charge with the 110.

I bought the hard wired unit and to it I attached a dryer plug that I insert into the 30 amp dryer receptacle. I made it portable to use at my son's house where it is easy to connect to his dryer circuit.

While I have only used it on 2 or 3 occasions, it performed beautifully.

greengate said:
I bought this unit and installed it in my garage for backup as I normally charge with the 110.

I bought the hard wired unit and to it I attached a dryer plug that I insert into the 30 amp dryer receptacle. I made it portable to use at my son's house where it is easy to connect to his dryer circuit.

Do I even want to ask why you would charge on 120v when you have a perfectly good 240v EVSE sitting there as "backup"?

Deb said:
Any feedback about the Clippercreek LCS-25P would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on buying it but don't know whether to get the L6-30 or 14-30 plug? What's the difference between the two plugs? And does anybody know how long it take to charge their Leaf with this EVSE?

Have one with L6-30 for the last 6 months and use it daily at home with no problems.
Bought adapters for it, e.g. L6-30 to 14-50, to use at various customer locations.

davewill said:
greengate said:

Do I even want to ask why you would charge on 120v when you have a perfectly good 240v EVSE sitting there as "backup"?

I was told that it is better for the battery to slow charge it..that's why.

Attachments

• Apple-and-Sony-Pay-1-3-Million-Yen-in-Battery-Fire-Lawsuit-2.jpg
    Apple-and-Sony-Pay-1-3-Million-Yen-in-Battery-Fire-Lawsuit-2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 59
I've had an LCS-25 for 1.5 years with my i-MiEV with no problems at all. Now I have a 2015 LEAF S and it's fine with the charger too, including the timed pre-heating/pre-cooling of the cabin. I added a NEMA 14-50 plug on the end of mine so I could use it (if necessary) at RV parks.

greengate said:
Absolutely not true. All L2 charging qualifies as a slow charge on these batteries. All you're doing is wasting time and power. Power, you say? Yes, there a fixed overhead of about 300w for the cooling system and supporting electronics during charging. On 120v, which supplies only 1400w, that's a big overhead. If charging takes an extra 3 hours because you're on 120v, that's almost 1 kWh wasted. If it takes an extra 10 hours, that's 3kWh wasted. Fairly significant.

davewill said:
greengate said:
Absolutely not true. All L2 charging qualifies as a slow charge on these batteries. All you're doing is wasting time and power. Power, you say? Yes, there a fixed overhead of about 300w for the cooling system and supporting electronics during charging. On 120v, which supplies only 1400w, that's a big overhead. If charging takes an extra 3 hours because you're on 120v, that's almost 1 kWh wasted. If it takes an extra 10 hours, that's 3kWh wasted. Fairly significant.
Good information.

No reason for me not to use the L2 then.

@Lasareath - You should do some further research yourself on EVSE upgrade before you replied. One either pays $287 upgrade service fee and mail in your current OEM EVSE for the upgrade, or there is a refundable $595 + $37 non-refundable extra fee if one doesn't want to be without an EVSE for a few days. They mail you an upgraded one first, then in return one mails back one's OEM EVSE and the $595 is refunded back once they receive it. $287 still applies since it is technically only a upgrade service fee. So the $800+ that @RonDawg mentioned is from the $595 refundable deposit+$287 upgrade service fee.

Personally I just bought the LCS-25P + a NEMA L6-30-to-NEMA 10-30 adapter from EVSE Upgrade and left my Nissan Leaf OEM charger alone. Here's my reasoning: 1) Don't have to worry if dealer demands return of the EVSE (there's several discussions and views about returning (or not) charging accessories at end of lease), 2) I don't give up any personally paid EVSE when lease ends and still get to keep the LCS-25P for future vehicle, 3) I have both L1 (i.e. OEM Leaf EVSE) and L2 (i.e. LCS-25p) at my disposal, and 4) if dealer allow me to keep the OEM L1, then I can sell that or upgrade it then.

I figure I would keep the L1 cable in the car while the LCS-25p is plugged in to the dryer receptacle in the garage.

Back