EVlink 30 Amp Generation 2.5 $499 at Home Depot

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapeze

New to the site, first post.

New EV owner, 2015 S with charge package (6.6 kw and quick charge port)
The new Morning Sky Blue color.

I searched and found a few mentions of the Home Depot promo for the EVLink 30, but no post on the topic. I purchased one of these this morning, it is in stock, online only,

EVlink 30 Amp Generation 2.5 - Enhanced Model Indoor Electric Vehicle Charging Station Model # EV230WS $499

Price Valid : 07/03/2014 - 09/30/2014
Save $100 Add the Schneider EVlink Charging Station to your cart & use promo code EVLINKSUMMER.

Enter promo code EVLINKSUMMER during checkout to receive $100 off the purchase price of the Schneider Electric EVlink Residential Charging station (model EV230WS).  Limit one unit per order. Valid through September 30, 2014 only while supplies last.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schneide...ic-Vehicle-Charging-Station-EV230WS/203670265

Yes, that has been posted before, but it's worth mentioning again as the promotion period nears an end.
That's a very good unit and a great price for a full-strength (at least for the LEAF) EVSE.

Welcome to the forum!

Got my EVLink early May, same promo price even then.

This unit has been a solid performer ever since it was installed. The delay timer is about as simple as it can get. The bells and whistles on most of the more expensive units have no real utility other than to justify the higher prices.

We've had a number of voltage dips in our area over the past several months, many in the wee hours, which is when I set the timer to start charging. Either the outage occurred outside the charging time, or the station doesn't care if it loses power momentarily. I verified this by resetting the circuit breaker during a daytime charge and it restarted immediately. All I got was the blue lights blinking to show that the power to the OBC had been interrupted.

Pete1burn said:
Hmmm, this or an OpenEVSE box... That's a tough decision.

Didn't you mention in another thread that your EVSE will need to be mounted outside, and that there was already conduit and a post in place? If so, I think you will need a unit that is certified for outdoor use, and I don't believe that either of these are.

Yeah, I noticed. I'm looking into getting an outdoor enclosure from Home Depot to keep it in. Opens up my options a bit. Since I have a 2012 I only need 15a charging so I might end up with a Clipper Creek LCS

Pete1burn said:
Yeah, I noticed. I'm looking into getting an outdoor enclosure from Home Depot to keep it in. Opens up my options a bit. Since I have a 2012 I only need 15a charging so I might end up with a Clipper Creek LCS

You might consider, if you haven't already, the EVSEupgrade. It comes with a L6-30 plug, and you can mount an RV type receptacle like this on your post and keep your cord safe and dry in the car.

edit: I just double checked that RV outlet link, and it looks like it's a 120 volt version. However, it seems like you should be able to find a 240 volt version with the L6-30P outlet, but I didn't see one under $100 on the HD website.

Pete1burn said:
I did, but I think I'd prefer a unit that I can set up charge times, etc.

The LEAF comes with a rudimentary timer where you set the time that you want it to finish, and the car will calculate the start time. Works fine.

also available on Amazon at that price.

http://www.amazon.com/Schneider-Electric-EV230WS-Generation-Enhanced/dp/B00CXXCVLI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418391195&sr=8-2&keywords=evse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had bought mine from HD for $499. I logged in my account and chatted to the CSR about a price adjustment. She gave me 5% back so a refund of about $27 with tax. Easy peasy. Took 2 minutes.

I love this unit! Works great and the LED are a real bonus and give you a lot of information. I was torn between this and the clipper creek which has a longer cord but sooo glad I went with this unit for a much lower price.

It's about time, the street price for some of these commercial, "brand name", 240V (L2) EVSEs are down under $500! A few years ago, $1000 or more was typically the list price for most comparable units. I paid close to $1500 through Home Depot Online for a 32A unit from a competing manufacturer (Leviton). I believe that same unit sells for at least half price today.

This Schneider unit appears to be a "hard wired", so the lower, reduced price may be a bit misleading. It does NOT include the cost of hiring an Electrician to wire it up at fixed location on a wall in your garage, plus the extra cost of getting a city permit and inspection. That could easily add several hundred dollars. However, it may be possible to attach a relatively inexpensive input cord and plug it in to a 240V outlet, provided you already have a dedicated 240V AC outlet in the "right" location for charging your EV. If not, you're back to hiring the services of rather costly Electrician.

One nice feature of this unit is that it apparently comes with a separate hanger for the J1772 connector and charging cable.

This unit can be installed with a dryer pigtail plug (available at Amazon for $20-25). I have mine plugged into NEMA 14-50 outlet. My electrician charged me $750 for a 40 amp circuit on 8 gauge wire and a 60 foot run through a couple of walls.

I looked at alot of units and i really like the case they use on that unit. This might be a little off topic but GlennD and I both sell custom built evse's in the private for sale section WITH lcd displays and volt/amp meters for about $400 and less to members here. :D

Back