Can a Schneider EVLINK be used outdoors with an enclosure?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up a new Schneider EVlink 30 amp evse at a great price, and belatedly I see it is rated for indoor use only. I was wondering if I put it in an enclosure, would that meet code requirements? I am running a dedicated 40 amp breaker with #8 wire from the breaker box to a Post in my driveway to mount the EVSE.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!!
Dave

If you build a phone-booth-like enclosure for it (plexiglass would be Nifty), that should do. It's the housing that's not outdoor-rated, not the cable and plug. Hopefully you used UF type weatherproof cable?

Subsailortrainman said:
I just picked up a new Schneider EVlink 30 amp evse at a great price, and belatedly I see it is rated for indoor use only. I was wondering if I put it in an enclosure, would that meet code requirements? I am running a dedicated 40 amp breaker with #8 wire from the breaker box to a Post in my driveway to mount the EVSE.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!!
Dave

Are you near a salty environment. That can be an issue even if covered, near the ocean you want a really well sealed unit.

No, not near the ocean. I live in the midlands of the state. I found a composite board at lowes that might work well. 30 bucks for a 1x12x8' plank. Should be more than enough to make an enclosure.
Dave

Well, I made the enclosure out of a 12"x8' composite deck plank. I installed the wiring and hooked up the evlink by myself and it works like a charm! Did my first 220 volt charge last night. Woo Hoo!

Dave :D

Back