Is this what I need?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdxc90

Looking to lease a 2015 Leaf SV. My plan is to get a 240 volt outlet and then go with the EVSE upgrade.

Getting an electrician come tonight to give me an estimate for a 240 volt plug in my garage. I have 2 panels with plenty of space left in one. I need to ask for 40 amp breaker, NEMA L6-30R (30A 240V Twist-Lock) plug and 8 gauge wiring from what I understand reading from the forum and EVSE upgrade dot com and various websites

Is this correct? Am I on the right track? Is there any way to future proof the plug installation by the electrician?

Would really appreciate some advice from knowledgeable board members.

mdxc90 said:
Looking to lease a 2015 Leaf SV. My plan is to get a 240 volt outlet and then go with the EVSE upgrade.

Getting an electrician come tonight to give me an estimate for a 240 volt plug in my garage. I have 2 panels with plenty of space left in one. I need to ask for 40 amp breaker, NEMA L6-30R (30A 240V Twist-Lock) plug and 8 gauge wiring from what I understand reading from the forum and EVSE upgrade dot com and various websites

Is this correct? Am I on the right track? Is there any way to future proof the plug installation by the electrician?

Would really appreciate some advice from knowledgeable board members.
if you want to future proof it get 50 amp service! I had to install a 50a line for my tesla after getting a 30a one for my Leaf

Code will require 30 amp breaker with the L6-30 outlet. This will work perfect with EVSEUpgrade.
#10 wire is minimum unless the pull is unusually long.

You cannot have a 30 amp outlet on a 50 amp breaker.

You can however install #6 wire with 30a breaker and 30a outlet. You can then easily swap to 50 amp in the future without pulling wire.

I'd do a 50 amp breaker with #6 wire and a 14-50 outlet then just use an adapter from L6-30r to 14-50p to plug in your upgraded EVSE.

I just had the electrician install a 14-50 plug and then got the adapter from EVSEUpgrade - a bit more future proof and I figure the flexibility if I ever did travel with the EVSE could come in handy. Ironically for me, while I may be ready to plug into just about any plug now, I am probably least likely to ever need to... ha. OH well - better prepared than sorry.

fooljoe said:
I'd do a 50 amp breaker with #6 wire and a 14-50 outlet then just use an adapter from L6-30r to 14-50p to plug in your upgraded EVSE.

Unwise. The goal isn't to sidestep the code. The reason for the code is that the breaker size should correspond to the current demand of the appliance. Having a breaker that is oversize for the device means that in the event of an internal problem, the device will have to pull enough current to trip the larger breaker. While your circuit wiring will be adequate to handle that load, the internal wiring of the device is designed with the appropriate breaker in mind.

Nubo said:
Unwise. The goal isn't to sidestep the code. The reason for the code is that the breaker size should correspond to the current demand of the appliance. Having a breaker that is oversize for the device means that in the event of an internal problem, the device will have to pull enough current to trip the larger breaker. While your circuit wiring will be adequate to handle that load, the internal wiring of the device is designed with the appropriate breaker in mind.
By your logic a 30 amp breaker would also be unsafe, as the upgraded EVSE is a 20 amp device and so should be on a 25 amp breaker. Similarly, you should be calling the cops on Clipper Creek for specifying that their HCS-40P, a 30 amp EVSE, be installed on a 50 amp circuit.

The breaker is there to protect the home wiring and receptacle, not devices that might plug in to the circuit. If you're concerned about your EVSE drawing more than it's rated to draw then get one with internal fuses or add your own inline. But if your Leaf is somehow pulling 30-50A with its 6.6kw charger then you've got a lot bigger problems to worry about than a burnt-up EVSE.

Yes, having a 30A (or, more appropriately, a 25A) breaker will give you that tiny ounce of extra protection, but intimating that plugging into a 50A receptacle is somehow "unwise" or "sidestepping the code" is unnecessary alarmism.

Ok> lots of great advice here but I am still a little confused. Is this true that the 50 Amp breaker will not trip when you are pulling max 30 amps thus causing a safety issue???

So I am still confused what is the best path to take for future proofing? Basically he is recommending that we install the plug right under the panel to avoid going through studs etc? How far should I stay from the panel?? I can easily ask him to use #6 wire, but should I use a 30 amp breaker for now and upgrade to 50 amp breaker later if it becomes necessary?

Also getting the 14-50 plug with the L6 adapter is the way to go???

I am a total electrical newbie. Thank you for your advice so far!

If the pull is short and simple there is nothing to future proof. Just get 30 amp breaker, 30 amp outlet, and #10 wire. Plug in and drive.

If you were paying a bundle to trench, bend conduit, pull through the attic, down two floors, repair stucco/drywall, through the concrete etc. then yes get the big wire so you don't have to do it again.

smkettner said:
If the pull is short and simple there is nothing to future proof. Just get 30 amp breaker, 30 amp outlet, and #10 wire. Plug in and drive.

If you were paying a bundle to trench, bend conduit, pull through the attic, down two floors, repair stucco/drywall, through the concrete etc. then yes get the big wire so you don't have to do it again.

+1

Just put the new receptacle where it's convenient to hang your EVSE next to it.

Back