10-30 level 2 EVSE, Please help!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafTurn

Can anyone recommend a level 2, 30amp EVSE that will plug into a 10-30 outlet?

This must be a very typical outlet for most (oldish) garages, but I'm having a difficult time finding an EVSE for this outlet type. I do not want to hard wire an EVSE in my garage.

Can anyone recommend an EVSE manufacturer/model?

Thanks so much!

You can not use a 30A EVSE on a 30A circuit. The most you can use is 24A (80% of 30A).

An EVSE is considered a continuous load and you must derate to 80%.

You can put a plug on a hard wired EVSE, it's a simple job and you could do it yourself with the right research or any electrician could do it for you. There are also many adapters you can get too.

I went with a clipper creek 25 amp and my electrician hard wired a nema 14-30 plug on the end, it was $20 or so.

You guys are so great! Thanks for all of the responses!

I think my best option is to get a Clipper Creek, LCS-25, 20A EVSE and hard wired a 10-30 plug.

Is there a modification/add-on out there that will let me delay the charge? I get home at 5pm and would like to start charging at 11pm.

Why don't you just use the charge timer built into the car to finish charging just before you go to work in the morning ?

KJD said:
Why don't you just use the charge timer built into the car to finish charging just before you go to work in the morning ?

I have not bought the car, yet. And I was not aware it has a built in "charge timer." To me, it makes sense to get a level 2 EVSE before the car. In my situation, (50 mile round trip commute) the car might be pretty useless without a level 2.

Do most EV's have a built in 'charge timer' or only Leafs?

Not sure if all EV's have a timer, but I think most of them do. All the LEAF's have a charge timer and it works great. Just set the finish time and the car figures out the start time, depending on how low the charge is. Just plug it in when you get home at night and next morning its ready for another day.

Good choice on the clipper creek, they make good products.

LeftieBiker said:
In my situation, (50 mile round trip commute) the car might be pretty useless without a level 2.

I had no trouble with a 43 mile round trip commute and L-1 charging. Even in Winter.

How many miles per year do you put on your car, leftie? How many miles average per day would be the limit for level 1 if you could only charge at home?

I know id be riding the bus after work if I didnt have level 2. I never stay home that long.

JESLA can plug directly into a 10-30 outlet to pull the recommended 80% amperage of 24 amps.

It's also portable and capable of 100-250 volt operation, with 12 to 40 amp automatic adjustability with the correct plug. You don't have to program anything.

Thank you so much to all of the responses!

I went with Clipper Creek LCS 25amp hard-wired version. I bought a 10-30 plug at Lowe's and wired it myself. Tomorrow morning I'm going to buy an EV!

Thanks again, everyone!

johnrhansen said:
LeftieBiker said:
In my situation, (50 mile round trip commute) the car might be pretty useless without a level 2.

I had no trouble with a 43 mile round trip commute and L-1 charging. Even in Winter.

How many miles per year do you put on your car, leftie? How many miles average per day would be the limit for level 1 if you could only charge at home?

I know id be riding the bus after work if I didnt have level 2. I never stay home that long.

I put just 7600 miles or so on it the first year, because I worked a three day "week." Because I don't do a lot of driving except commuting and local trips, though, I could have worked five days on the same routine, with no problems. Or seven.There were no 'catch up days' required. Now that I'm retired (WooHoo!) I take a few longish day trips, but the L-2 station I bought is still in the box, waiting for me to manage to dig a 25' trench, and I'm still fine on L-1.

Latest posts

Back