Adding a Cord to EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gshoq

I'm planning to purchase a Schneider Electric EVLINK EVSE. I want to add an electrical cord (instead of hard wire) to plug into a 14-50R receptacle. Given the EVSE is a 30A model, is it safe to use a dryer cord (rated 30A) or do I need to use a range cord (40-50A)? Any insight on the gauge of the wire 8-4 or 6-4 from the circuit breaker to the receptacle would also be appreciated.

The EVSE will come with a cord with bare wire ends ready to hard wire. You can just purchase a 14-50 plug to attach. Also, I have been advised to downsize the breaker at the panel to match the EVSE draw, just to be safe.

billg said:
The EVSE will come with a cord with bare wire ends ready to hard wire. You can just purchase a 14-50 plug to attach. Also, I have been advised to downsize the breaker at the panel to match the EVSE draw, just to be safe.
I read on here that NEC requires maximum amperage of the device to not draw greater than 80% of the breaker amperage. In other words, a 40 amp circuit breaker minimum is needed for a 30 amp EVSE to comply with NEC.

billg said:

Hard wire units typically require that the wires be installed inside the unit itself. My (Nissan) AV did not come with any wire, aside from the J-1772 cable. It had a couple of spots that could be knocked out for, IIRC 3/4" conduit, or in my case, a cable clamp. (I used an existing 6-50 socket that means I have to unplug the EVSE to use my welder.)

Why don't you just buy an EVSE w a cord? Siemens Versicharge, for instance, I'm sure there are others.

Look at the installation instructions for the Schneider EVLink EVSE - I believe you can get them in PDF form on line if you do a web search. When I installed my Schneider EVLink in 2012 the instructions provided the wire and breaker requirements - both of which had to be purchased separately.

billg said:
srl99 said:
Why don't you just buy an EVSE w a cord? Siemens Versicharge, for instance, I'm sure there are others.

This is probably the best idea. Here's another EVSE with a cord and 14-50 plug: Clipper Creek HCS-40P

Here's another EVSE with a 14-50 plug:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's also available with the following plugs. It will ship with a NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15:

....................................................VOLTS / AMPS.......kW
NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-50......RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

Back