Which EVSE's support 6.6Kw charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonnylax

I've read tons of posts and maybe I've missed it... but which residential EVSE's support the new 2013 Leaf Charging (6.6 kW/6 kW output)? Is there a master list somewhere?

I'm willing to install a new 208-240V circuit in my garage. The existing breaker panel is on the opposite side of the garage where I'm going to install the EVSE.

thanks.

30 amp and above should be fine. There are several to chose from and they all have output ratings clearly listed. 7.2Kw output should supply 6.6 to the car. One of the electric nerds will correct me.

You will need a 40 amp breaker and at least a 40 amp circuit
to support the 30 (or 32) amp EVSE.

You could use heavier wiring if you ever expect to support
even faster charging, since the heavier wire costs little more,
and the labor is most of the cost. The breaker and socket
can be upgraded easily.

I guess that is my question. Which residential EVSE's support the most recent Leaf quick charging (6.6kW)? Which ones are 30/32 amp?

I'm ok with installing whatever circuit/outlet/breaker necessary to support the above.

garygid said:
You will need a 40 amp breaker and at least a 40 amp circuit
to support the 30 (or 32) amp EVSE.

You could use heavier wiring if you ever expect to support
even faster charging, since the heavier wire costs little more,
and the labor is most of the cost. The breaker and socket
can be upgraded easily.

For me, it's more important to learn which commonly installed public EVSE support the faster OBC.

Most home charging is likely to be less time-critical; it's generally more urgent to be able to charge ASAP while shopping, dining, running errands, etc.

Anyone aware of the amp output ratings of common ChargePoint and Blink public L2 EVSE? Do they meet the 30-amp threshold to take advantage of the upgraded OBC? Then there's Clipper Creek, Eaton, etc., but far fewer of those in the wild in So Cal than those of the ChargePoint and Blink networks.

timhebb said:
Anyone aware of the amp output ratings of common ChargePoint and Blink public L2 EVSE? Do they meet the 30-amp threshold to take advantage of the upgraded OBC? Then there's Clipper Creek, Eaton, etc., but far fewer of those in the wild in So Cal than those of the ChargePoint and Blink networks.
They're just about all rated at 30 amp. However, as many of them are on 208v instead of 240v, they might supply a little less power than the car can use (~6kw instead of 6.6).

SQUIIREL !!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBWrMQVsuak[/youtube]

timhebb said:
For me, it's more important to learn which commonly installed public EVSE support the faster OBC.

Most home charging is likely to be less time-critical; it's generally more urgent to be able to charge ASAP while shopping, dining, running errands, etc.

fooljoe said:
http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessory-tracker?type=Charge+Station,+SAE+J-1772&level=2&nrtl=All

If maximum amps is at least 30 it'll provide all the 2013 Leaf can take. Note that even if it's less than 30 (like the clipper creek LCS-25, or evseupgrade.com, which do 20 amps) the Leaf will still charge fine and probably only 10-15% slower.
That link is a good one to use, though I notice they were confused about the Clipper Creek LCS-25. Clipper Creek names their EVSEs based on the circuit rating required, rather than the power delivered, so, as fooljoe said, the LCS-25 is 20 amps, not 25 amps.

But I would also like to stress his other point. A 20 amp EVSE will charge your car in considerably less time than it takes at night to recharge your personal batteries (i.e.sleep). For most people that is all you need at home. As timhebb said, where you will really appreciate the faster charger built in to the 2013 LEAF is when charging away from home. I don't know that anyone has reported a public EVSE that is less than 30 amps.

Ray

DarkStar said:
TomT said:
I doubt there are many, if any at all, that do not support 30 amps...
Exactly what I was thinking. Currently in the Portland area, I'm unaware of any public EVSE stations that do not support 6.6 Kw charging.
But as I pointed out earlier, as many public EVSEs use 208v commercial power, a 30 amp EVSE does not translate to 6.6 kw - in that case it would be more like 6.2 kw.

fooljoe said:
DarkStar said:
TomT said:
Exactly what I was thinking. Currently in the Portland area, I'm unaware of any public EVSE stations that do not support 6.6 Kw charging.
But as I pointed out earlier, as many public EVSEs use 208v commercial power, a 30 amp EVSE does not translate to 6.6 kw - in that case it would be more like 6.2 kw.

Most public charge stations are typically 30 amps, with the following different voltages. At 27.5 amps for a 2013 LEAF (except base "S" model), the following applies:

Power -- Voltage -- at 88% efficiency into the battery

6.9kW --- 250 ------- 6.1 kW
6.6kW --- 240 ------- 5.8 kW (typical residential power in North America)
6.3kW --- 230 ------- 5.5 kW (typical voltage in the rest of the world)
5.7kW --- 208 ------- 5.0 kW (typical voltage at a public charge station in North America)
5.5kW --- 200 ------- 4.8kW (typical voltage in Japan)

TonyWilliams said:
Most public charge stations are typically 30 amps, with the following different voltages. At 27.5 amps for a 2013 LEAF (except base "S" model), the following applies
I know the Leaf pulls 27.5 amps on 240v (hence 6.6kw input power - which is very confusing since the old charger is called 3.3kw, but that's output to the battery as in your table), but wouldn't it pull the full 30 amps when on 208v? I wasn't sure about this so I just said ~6kw in my earlier post.

The old chargers puts 3.3 kw into the pack the new one a max of 6kw. A 20A EVSE will charge the LEAF in 3-4 hours on average. For charging at home the difference in time is very small. At home the speed is not an issue the issue is finding public stations that support 240V (not 208) where faster charging is a real benefit.

fooljoe said:
TonyWilliams said:
Most public charge stations are typically 30 amps, with the following different voltages. At 27.5 amps for a 2013 LEAF (except base "S" model), the following applies
I know the Leaf pulls 27.5 amps on 240v (hence 6.6kw input power - which is very confusing since the old charger is called 3.3kw, but that's output to the battery as in your table), but wouldn't it pull the full 30 amps when on 208v? I wasn't sure about this so I just said ~6kw in my earlier post.

Yes, it very well may do that!! It certainly makes sense, but so far, the highest actually measured was between 27 and 28 amps. That's why I specified 27.5 amps in the table.

My guess has always been 200v (Japan) * 30 amps = 6.0kW, but it's still just a guess until I throw an ammeter on one charging at 208v. I can tell you that I was frothing at the mouth thinking I could put 277v in my Rav4 and get 11kW (instead of 9.6kW, 40 amps * 240v). But, when we actually plugged it into 277v, it appears to ramp down the amps so as to not exceed the 10kW rating (or 40 amps max). I suspect something similar is true for the LEAF.

DarkStar said:
TomT said:

I purchased the SPX Oct 2011 before my Leaf was delivered. It is has a switch to select max amps up to 32. I had 50 amp cable ran from the box to the plug, and a 40 amp breaker in the box. I kept the default switch setting to 30 amp because that was the rating for the plug provided. But at 30 amps I should be able to max out the 2013 6.6 charger.

I do not use the stop timer function of the leaf but I do use the start and have never had a problem with this unit from day one.

Back