Which EVSE's support 6.6Kw charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My lease is coming up on 2011 Leaf and I'm thinking about moving over to Ford's focus electric just to try something new. I have gotten *very* spoiled with DC quick charging on the off hand I need it as NRG/eVGO has made several DC quick charge stations in the San Diego area. So I've never given 3.3kW vs 6.6kW a second thought .... until now (focus electric does not have a quick charge port)

Looks like from what most people are saying the majority of public chargers are something close to 30amps/208/240Volts. I understand voltage is a factor but something in the 5-6kW range should suffice for a half hour's worth of charge. That might be all I have patience for

I have 2 questions if anyone could chime in please...:
1) I see this thread is a little dated. I'm wondering if Blink's (and any other companys') decisions to down the amperage due to the Rav4EV is still going on? IE: are all Blink's now at 3.x kW?
2) How the heck do I tell when I'm at a charger if I'm sucking in 3.3 or 5-6kW of charge? Is the amperage often displayed on a sticker at the charger? Is there any way to calculate it from the "time left to 100%" type messages on the car's display? I don't know what all the focus displays yet but does the leaf show anything in the way of 3.x vs something higher?

Thanks all.

Most level 2 stations in San Diego do not advertise their available power available...Since my car tells me what it is drawing, I have noted what they can deliver...Most are 24 amps at 208v in San Diego, but some are 30 amps....

Most public Blinks are detuned to 24 amps at 208v around San Diego at least to help minimize connector heating...

Most ChargePoint units have 30 amps available at 208v, unless it is one of the new load sharing types (and then it depends on who else is connected).

Seems like the SEMA connect units at Walgreens are 208v 30 amps....

Most eVgo L2 units deliver 30 amps at 208v...

If you see a Clipper Creek in public, the ones in San Diego at the hospitals and convention center are 30 amps, but there are some up north that are higher powered units and can deliver 70 amps at 208v, which is great for a road trip. They were originally installed for Roadsters and you can tell them apart by their model number on the case and also the thicker J-plug cable....

Randy said:
..Since my car tells me what it is drawing, I have noted what they can deliver.....

Is it built into the car's messaging or do you have one of those add on plugs that hooks into the diagnostic port under the steering wheel (if so... any recommendations?)?

rizrashdi said:
Randy said:
..Since my car tells me what it is drawing, I have noted what they can deliver.....

Is it built into the car's messaging or do you have one of those add on plugs that hooks into the diagnostic port under the steering wheel (if so... any recommendations?)?
Did you ever get an answer to this? I still can't figure out where to see this info in the car so I'm assuming it must be from another source.

You can use a 30-32A EVSE on a 40A breaker. The Leaf will take 27.5A of the offered current. A RAV4 EV will take 32A even though it can charge at 40A. A Volt will take 16A of the offered current.

AlanSqB said:
Did you ever get an answer to this? I still can't figure out where to see this info in the car so I'm assuming it must be from another source.

The previous comment was made by someone that drove a Tesla S. I guess there's an information panel in there which tells you what it's currently drawing. The Leaf, or the Ford Focus EV for that matter, cannot tell you this information by default. At least not that I've ever seen...

AlanSqB said:
Thanks! I guess I need to find my old clamp meter.
Latest version of LEAF Spy Pro has a wonderful improvement in that there is a graph on screen 2 that shows charging power, status of charge %, and % GIDS.
That is what you want.
May be on the free and / or $9.99 versions too, you'll need to check.
Jim has done a wonderful job.
Buy Pro, he deserves the $15 and you will love it!!

TimLee said:
Latest version of LEAF Spy Pro has a wonderful improvement in that there is a graph on screen 2 that shows charging power, status of charge %, and % GIDS.
That is what you want.
May be on the free and / or $9.99 versions too, you'll need to check.
Jim has done a wonderful job.
Buy Pro, he deserves the $15 and you will love it!!

Wish LeafStat for iOS had that feature; charging power would be useful info to know.

Back