Vacaville is online with new Eaton QC!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyW

You heard it here first. ;)

I'm charging right now. No secret handshake, just pull up and charge. Finally! How long has it been?

GSN727Dl.jpg

JeremyW said:

I'm charging right now. No secret handshake, just pull up and charge. Finally! How long has it been?

Will post a pic when I get to a regular computer. Can't seem to get it to work on my iPhone.

MY FESTIVUS PRAYERS HAVE BEN ANSWERED !

Festivus 2010, that is...

Hey Jeremy,
Congrats! Is the camper still in the parking lot with the J1772 connector gettin' the free juice? That photo from a few months ago made me laugh....

The wife and I headed out to see for ourselves. Happy to report it's true.
We headed out from Roseville (60 miles).
Charged fully in 30 minutes and headed home.
Making a trip to Napa next weekend, so this is a welcome development.

Is the camper still in the parking lot with the J1772 connector gettin' the free juice?

Yes!

quickcharger.jpg

Hooray!!! Though it might be a while before ol' #2407 makes it back there. Charge one up for me! ML

Today was a fun adventure. Quick charged six times. I stopped in Vacaville, Concord Hilton, and San Ramon each way (145 miles) with 5 hours of L2 in between. I managed to keep the battery temp under six TB's by only stopping 10 minutes. That is, until the last quick charge in Vacaville. I was getting antsy and wanted to see if I could make the return trip before 7pm. I let the quick charger go for 27 minutes (getting 15.1 kWh) and cooked the battery to 8 TB's. :oops: :? I could have probably stopped it at 10 min but I figured I'd need at least 9 bars to get home with spirited driving. Average speed was 65+ most of the time, except for some traffic in to Davis on the way back.

Uploaded the pic to the OP. I guess it's appropriate that I have the CHAdeMO logo on the back of my car. :)

JeremyW said:
Today was a fun adventure. Quick charged six times
and cooked the battery to 8 TB's. :oops: :?
FWIW - the '13 owners manually specifically says this about repeated QCs in a day on page EV-24 regarding LI-ION BATTERY LIFE:

Avoid sustained high battery temperatures (caused, for example, by exposure to very high ambient temperatures or extending highway driving with multiple quick charges).

Pretty impressive that you took the battery from 6 temp bars (no more than 100F) to 8 temp bars (120F) in one QC, though!

drees said:
JeremyW said:
Today was a fun adventure. Quick charged six times
and cooked the battery to 8 TB's. :oops: :?
FWIW - the '13 owners manually specifically says this about repeated QCs in a day on page EV-24 regarding LI-ION BATTERY LIFE:

Avoid sustained high battery temperatures (caused, for example, by exposure to very high ambient temperatures or extending highway driving with multiple quick charges).

I guess the "Mark Perry" addendum to the 2012 owners manual has been overridden.

TonyWilliams said:
I guess the "Mark Perry" addendum to the 2012 owners manual has been overridden.
Indeed. Perhaps it's just me, but I'm still waiting for a Phoenix addendum. It was good to see you the other day, Jeremy. Thanks for making the trip. The new QC is just icing on the cake, can't believe it's finally here.

I drove over there yeaterday for a sip. Went from 50% SOC to 80% SOC in about 15 minutes. Bat temp never got above 4 bars. This was about 9 AM. Two unfortunate things I noticed. There are two commuter ICE's that park right in front of the QC. Unfortunately, the spaces in front of it are not marked for EV charging like the level 2 spots are. Hopefully the city will get around to fixing that. I parked on the back side and the cord reached. But, it is not long enough to reach the next spot over in front of the unit. The other thing is that when I got there, the QC was in fault. Luckily it reset OK. When my car got to 80% SOC, and stopped charging, the QC went back into fault. I reset it again before I left.

edatoakrun said:
JeremyW said:

Will post a pic when I get to a regular computer. Can't seem to get it to work on my iPhone.

MY FESTIVUS PRAYERS HAVE BEN ANSWERED !

Festivus 2010, that is...

Another festivus miracle!

rawhog said:
I drove over there yeaterday for a sip. Went from 50% SOC to 80% SOC in about 15 minutes. Bat temp never got above 4 bars. This was about 9 AM. Two unfortunate things I noticed. There are two commuter ICE's that park right in front of the QC. Unfortunately, the spaces in front of it are not marked for EV charging like the level 2 spots are. Hopefully the city will get around to fixing that. I parked on the back side and the cord reached. But, it is not long enough to reach the next spot over in front of the unit. The other thing is that when I got there, the QC was in fault. Luckily it reset OK. When my car got to 80% SOC, and stopped charging, the QC went back into fault. I reset it again before I left.

Probably about ~$20,000 spent for the charger?

About the same cost for the installation?

And quite possibility, even more costly bureaucratic "overhead" for the municipal and PG&E approval?

And They didn't spend the ~$50 to put up the sign?

PARKING WHILE DC CHARGING ONLY. 30 MINUTE LIMIT. VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED.

Sort of makes you wish some evil large corporation was charging an unconscionable amount per kWh, just so they would have some profit incentive to work out the details to insure reliable DC charging, doesn't it?

JeremyW said:
Today was a fun adventure. Quick charged six times. I stopped in Vacaville, Concord Hilton, and San Ramon each way (145 miles) with 5 hours of L2 in between. I managed to keep the battery temp under six TB's by only stopping 10 minutes. That is, until the last quick charge in Vacaville. I was getting antsy and wanted to see if I could make the return trip before 7pm. I let the quick charger go for 27 minutes (getting 15.1 kWh) and cooked the battery to 8 TB's. :oops: :? I could have probably stopped it at 10 min but I figured I'd need at least 9 bars to get home with spirited driving. Average speed was 65+ most of the time, except for some traffic in to Davis on the way back.

Uploaded the pic to the OP. I guess it's appropriate that I have the CHAdeMO logo on the back of my car. :)

that was a mistake. being able to make it by driving conservatively should ALWAYS be your #1 choice especially if there are no time constraints. Sounds like the "7 PM" was a goal and not a requirement. venturing to say that 7:15 would have been ok? but you most certainly lost capacity.

and i have to think that the extra time spent charging was NOT made up by driving faster...

DaveinOlyWA said:
JeremyW said:

that was a mistake. being able to make it by driving conservatively should ALWAYS be your #1 choice especially if there are no time constraints. Sounds like the "7 PM" was a goal and not a requirement. venturing to say that 7:15 would have been ok? but you most certainly lost capacity.

and i have to think that the extra time spent charging was NOT made up by driving faster...

Ehh, it's not that cut and dry. The distance from Vacaville to Folsom is almost 60 miles, so I had to charge longer then I did in the other locations, regardless of speed. Could have probably done the trip with 7 bars or so, but that's limping at 50 miles an hour. I've done that once before and quite frankly going that slow creates a safety issue. It's a higher speed corridor and I'm not getting run over, battery temp be damned.

So far I am really disappointed with how unreliable most of the CHAdeMO stations appear to be.

That appears to be one big thing that Tesla got right:

1. Their SuperCharger stations appear to be rock solid and generally appear to work as you expect them to.
2. They generally install 2-4 plugs per site so that you're unlikely to be completely stranded should one plug.

Now if only they'd install some 80A capable J1772 at these stations for the Roadster and other owners...

Back