Availability of Charging stations in LA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ophirmayer

Hey all,

How would you describe the availability of charging stations where such exists?

Meaning, how many times do you come across a "taken" charging station because some other EV is charging or an ICE vehicle is parking and blocking the station (Illegally or not)?

I'm particularly interested in the Los angeles area, in places Like LAX. downtown, etc

Many thanks!

Ophir Mayer,
EV Infrastructure planner

i very rarely, if ever depend on charging stations in LA when i go out; there are too few, too far apart and too often iced.

I rarely use the public charging stations, especially now that they cost money to use, but I disagree that they are few, far apart, and often iced. I see many of them in shopping areas - Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, The Grove, Glendale, the Convention Center. Most of the time they are occupied by EVs or empty. I think signage is generally clear so that ICE vehicles don't park there.

Obviously, it would be nice if there were more of them, but considering the small percentage of EVs on the road so far, I think LA has a fair amount.

I rarely charge away from home. But when I do, availability or functionality of chargers is definitely an issue. One simply can't guarantee that the charger you need will be in use by an EV or Ice'd, particularly in busy locations. Maybe Justin has a better handle on what's currently happening with respect to ICE'ing of EV spots in retail locations than I do, since I'm not known for being a shopper, and maybe it's gotten better than it was over the course of the last couple of years.

But as to an example of where I'm at - I need use of the DCQC in downtown LA tomorrow. According to a Plugshare user who tried it on Sunday it was broken. And since it's operated by Blink, I have real doubts that it's fixed yet, even though it's showing available on the Blink iPhone app. Am I willing to take that chance? Probably, but not without a firm plan B. And maybe even a plan C. Actually, I wouldn't roll-up anywhere. even for L2 charging, without mapping out at least one alternative solution.

JustinC said:
I rarely use the public charging stations, especially now that they cost money to use, but I disagree that they are few, far apart, and often iced. I see many of them in shopping areas - Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, The Grove, Glendale, the Convention Center. Most of the time they are occupied by EVs or empty. I think signage is generally clear so that ICE vehicles don't park there.

Obviously, it would be nice if there were more of them, but considering the small percentage of EVs on the road so far, I think LA has a fair amount.
I live and work in the Harbor/SouthBay area and am not a frequenter of these tonier locales.

Thanks for teaching me a new word!

But I wouldn't call Glendale or the Convention Center "tony." For the record, I only go to Beverly Hills because that's where all the doctors are. I can't afford to shop there. However I do applaud their city's investment in EV chargers - most of the public garages have chargers and they are installed before the pay gates, so EVs don't even have to take a ticket to park. While you do have to pay for charging, I think, you don't have to pay for parking at least.

I've never seen any Leafs over there in BH though. Mostly Mercedes, BMW, Porsche. Now that the Tesla is out and getting good reviews, I bet they will start popping up in the Hills.

From my experience it's highly variable. Some major retail locations may only have 1 or 2 charging stations, meaning no guarantee I'll be able to charge. Other locations may have a glut of EV stations which are never used. The LA basin in general is way behind other major metro areas such as Portland, Seattle, Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, etc. in EV infrastructure. Especially for DCQC stations.

And this is why you need a plan B. And maybe even a plan C.

At first glance, it appears you've been shut-out from using either of the two available chargers here by a Volt and a Model S, neither of which are charging. However, upon closer inspection, you see that what is actually going on is that both J1772 cables have been cut off (most likely stolen), rendering the charging stations useless. :(

This is the West lot at the Convention Center, BTW. Best mark it off your list of available stations for a while.

Attachments

• Img_7015_sm.jpg
    Img_7015_sm.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Img_7014_sm.jpg
    Img_7014_sm.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 48
mwalsh said:

At first glance, it appears you've been shut-out from using either of the two available chargers here by a Volt and a Model S, neither of which are charging. However, upon closer inspection, you see that what is actually going on is that both J1772 cables have been cut off (most likely stolen), rendering the charging stations useless. :(

This is the West lot at the Convention Center, BTW. Best mark it off your list of available stations for a while.

Just in time for the Auto Show too :roll: Thanks for the heads up, Michael.

I was down there last week for a project and talked to one of the managers there. Apparently this is the second time that they have been vandalized and the cables stolen and they have decided not to repair them again until they have some kind of plan in place to stop it from happening yet again. I see this as being a serious on-going problem for EVSEs in some locations...

mwalsh said:
At first glance, it appears you've been shut-out from using either of the two available chargers here by a Volt and a Model S, neither of which are charging. However, upon closer inspection, you see that what is actually going on is that both J1772 cables have been cut off (most likely stolen), rendering the charging stations useless.

mwalsh said:

Depressing. :( This is where the European standard (IEC 62196) got it right. You bring the cable. Same as RV or Marine shore power. Much harder to vandalize.

Thanks for heads up Michael.

KeiJidosha said:
mwalsh said:

Depressing. :( This is where the European standard (IEC 62196) got it right. You bring the cable. Same as RV or Marine shore power. Much harder to vandalize.

Then somebody steals your multi-hundred-dollar cable any you can't charge ANYWHERE.

davewill said:
KeiJidosha said:

Then somebody steals your multi-hundred-dollar cable any you can't charge ANYWHERE.
Cable locks to the car when car is locked. I already carry two EVSE cables (12A and 32A) and still have to hope the one on the public charger works.

KeiJidosha said:
Cable locks to the car when car is locked. I already carry two EVSE cables (12A and 32A) and still have to hope the one on the public charger works.
That's not going to help when the thieves cut the cable to steal $5 worth of copper.

At least Leviton is selling 30A cable/connector assemblies for only $134 now.

It's probably the same person who's stolen the cable twice now. Just need to catch the bastard. I hate thieves. Using shorter cables will also help deter thefts - 7 ft of cable is a less enticing to steal than 15 ft.

TomT said:
I was down there last week for a project and talked to one of the managers there. Apparently this is the second time that they have been vandalized and the cables stolen and they have decided not to repair them again until they have some kind of plan in place to stop it from happening yet again. I see this as being a serious on-going problem for EVSEs in some locations...
Unfortunately, I see copper theft to be an ongoing serious problem for almost all public EVSE locations in the US unless there's some way to very securely lock the cable away. I hear that aluminum wire is less enticing to thieves. Not sure if that'd help.

And, unfortunately, if that happens, there's even less incentive for whoever owns/manages the EVSE to fix it, due to cost and likely little revenue coming in. :(

I think they're going to need to be monitored w/cameras, which means yet more cost.

cwerdna said:
Unfortunately, I see copper theft to be an ongoing serious problem for almost all public EVSE locations in the US unless there's some way to very securely lock the cable away. I hear that aluminum wire is less enticing to thieves. Not sure if that'd help.

And, unfortunately, if that happens, there's even less incentive for whoever owns/manages the EVSE to fix it, due to cost and likely little revenue coming in. :(

I think they're going to need to be monitored w/cameras, which means yet more cost.
Yah. It's one argument for inductive pads in the ground...which I otherwise don't particularly favor.

Over 17 months of LEAF ownership I have charged at public EVSEs about 40 times at perhaps 25 different locations in LA, Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties, so I can report from direct experience.

I try to plan my extended trips and select charging locations where I can profitably spend .5 to 1.5 hrs or more, usually eating a meal or (rarely) do some shopping. The bare minimum requirement is access to a public restroom. Now that I have an iPad, Wifi is a definite plus. It takes time on Google Maps to find restaurants adjacent to charging stations, because no restaurant chain in my area seems to have committed to EVSE installations.

At first only Nissan dealers had EVSEs in my area, and they met only the restroom requirement, but many of them do offer Wi-fi. Of course one can buy the food separately and eat it at the dealership, but this wastes time, and there are often distracting sounds, TVs, etc in the dealership waiting rooms. They are not open 24/7, but this is not a problem for me.

The number of public stations in good, useful locations has grown substantially over the last year, but so has the problem of EV parking space abuse as more Volts, Pips, and Active-Es appear alongside the LEAFs.

BTW I encountered my first Tesla Model-S in the wild last night. Its owners were leaving their brand-new 85 kWh car in the Caltech parking lot overnight to get a full charge, since they had not yet installed charging at their house. They were happy to pay the 2$/hr for 7 kW. They were going to need 9-10 hours of charge.

EV parking space states:

0. Space and EVSE available. No problem, begin charging.

1. No space available, and EV is charging. No abuse, execute Plan B or C.

2. A space is available, but EVSE is plugged into an EV whose charge is completed. I would unplug them if they have left a note, or it is a LEAF with its dashboard still showing completion, but I have never had this opportunity. Volts can never be unplugged because their owners have probably neglected to disable the default alarm that sounds when they are unplugged.

This condition is becoming more common for free EVSEs. The solution is to charge a modest fee. Charging a fee has not been possible for non-networked EVSEs such as ClipperCreek, but they now offer a keypad-phone system for billing.

3. EV is parked in space, but it is not plugged in. Clearly abuse, should be reported. Adjacent spaces may be available if the cable is long enough, as shown below.

4. ICE is parked in the space. This has been the most common problem. It occurs at Nissan dealerships, where parking is often scarce. Signage is often missing, but signs are often ignored as well. One mall where I charge has to field frequent complaints to their mall police for this problem. Signage plus painting the spot white appears to work the best.

drees said:
I hate thieves. Using shorter cables will also help deter thefts - 7 ft of cable is a less enticing to steal than 15 ft.
Unfortunately I see a need for more long cables, not shorter. In the picture below, a pair of ClipperCreek EVSEs are mounted between the two posts, adjacent to 4 parking spots, but all 4 spots are occupied by EVs not charging, one in state 2, the others in state 3. Fortunately these units had 25' cables, and the cable not plugged in reached my blue LEAF on the extreme left.

Although there was no note, I would have unplugged the LEAF in state 2 if necessary. As it was, I was able to eat a nice healthy meal at this location at the Helms Bakery mall in Culver City while I got the 1.3 hrs of charge I needed to get home. Plan B would have been some chargers at an office location several miles away with no food and no restroom.

IMG_0057-L.jpg

Latest posts

Back