EZ-Charge vs "No Charge to Charge"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick0101

My understanding is that EZ-Charge and "No Charge to Charge" are two separate (but related) programs.

EZ-Charge gives you a card that will work with four EVSE networks: Aerovironment, Blink, ChargePoint, & NRG eVgo.

Whereas, "No Charge to Charge" gives you two years of free charging (via the EZ-Charge card).

I bought my Leaf in 2011, so I am not eligible for the "No Charge to Charge", but I thought I'd at least be able to get an EZ-Charge card to reduce the cards that I have to carry around.

electric-car-charging-network-cards-photo-by-tk_100390414_l.jpg

I called the number on the EZ-Charge website and they told me that I could not sign up for an EZ-Charge card. The only way to get a card was from a dealership when you buy/lease a new car. I explained that I didn't expect free charging, I just wanted to join the EZ-Charge program and pay the normal rates for charging. The support guy put me on hold (this seemed to be the first time anyone asked him this question).

He came back and told me that was not currently an option, the EZ-Cards are only being given out currently for the No-Charge program. And he was not aware of any plans to allow people to get EZ-Cards any other way.

Has anyone else with an "old" Leaf tried to get an EZ-Card?

I can only assume you are in Portland from your signature instead of the info on the left on the post.

I have not seen some of these places in Oregon. Where are they used?

I have opconnect (Portland state university) blink, chargepoint and aeroviroment

Where are the others? Thanks

EV Connector - Portland state DC charger (not the Eaton)
Sema Charge - Walgreens charging stations

I have not seen the last one.

Neither DC needs a card. The eaton was replaced with a dual connection DC for SAE and CHADEMO

camasleaf said:
EV Connector - Portland state DC charger (not the Eaton)
Sema Charge - Walgreens charging stations

I have not seen the last one.

kieranmullen said:
Neither DC needs a card. The eaton was replaced with a dual connection DC for SAE and CHADEMO

There used to be a Kanematsu DC charger at the oposite end from the Eaton charger, maybe it is still there. I have not charged at the Electric Avenue for about a year. That charger did require an "EV Collective" card, at least it did a couple years ago.

I signed up for EZ-Charge, and a bit of No Charge To Charge yesterday.

The claims that the EZ-Charge card gives you a single card to replace the stack of cards were offset immediately when I signed up for Blink - their web page told me I would need one of their in-something cards, but that they would send me one free. So, no EZ-Charge doesn't apparently replace all the other cards.

EZ-Charge told me it would take two hours for the other networks to activate access. eVgo, when signing up under EZ-Charge said it would take 3 - 5 days. This is particularly amusing because EZ-Charge is run by eVgo - they cannot get the time straight between their own functions.

I don't know how many other networks will want their own card, but it looks like at least one of the two tested did.

kieranmullen said:
I dont understand why they all have to use RFID Ciredit card swper is really a better way no? Too many networks and toomany cards. PITA
Not unless you want people attaching skimming devices to credit card readers. Locations where there's nobody watching are especially vulnerable.

First Tech Credit Union in Bellevue, WA had someone put on a skimmer on the ATM card reader that lets you into the vestibule w/the ATM. Later, someone put a skimmer in the ATM itself. Both of these were at the same physical branch w/cameras! I heard about the incident and spoke to their workers about it.

A local chain had skimmers installed inside their store's readers: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/12/06/lucky-supermarket-chain-reveals-scope-of-card-reader-scam/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I believe another reason is that the credit card transaction fees on a whole bunch of tiny transactions in addition to the risk of chargeback fees would kill them (vs. that of smaller set of larger/batched transactions (e.g. Chargepoint requiring a $25 minimum if you wish to put on money)). Hopefully someone w/experience in this can chime in.

The USA is moving to a chip and pin system like the rest of the world in 2015. It was slow to develop her because we did not have that much fraud before. So they would need more than a skimmer. Also a pin pad or camera.

I received an EZ-charge card in the mail, with a letter on NRG evGo letterhead.

I bought in April 2014, and am not eligible for "no charge to charge" since I live in L.A. which is not one of the markets (San Diego is).

Still, I received the card and have it in my car's glove box with the others. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

My understanding is that the EZ-Charge card is to take advantage of the "No Charge to Charge" promotion. From my experience, the card does not work with non-participating stations. I.E. I went to my local library in NorCal and try to use it but the Blink machine would not recognize my card eventhough I have an account with Blink through my EZ-Charge card. When I called support, they mentioned the associated charging station 'does not' participate in the "No Charge to Charge" promotion. My feedback to them was, even if they are not participating, they should prompt me to use the charger at their normal cost.

Also, the "No Charge to Charge" is Not entirely free. It's free for the first 30 minutes with super chargers and 60 minutes free with L2 chargers. After the time mentioned, you'll go back to the normal cost. Hope this helps.

I was under the understanding that the EZ charge free charge card all charging was free. Even the dealer sales reps told me that charging was free. I am convinced now that only the first 1 hour is free on the stage 2 chargers. I tried them out today. Also had no luck finding a fast charger that worked. 3 out of 4 fast chargers needed repair. I wanted to use the EZ charge card on that.

Back