L2 Charging between LA and Santa Barbara?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricH

On a trip to Santa Barbara (in my backup ICE, alas) on July 30, we stopped by the Camarillo Premium Outlets, located just off the 101 freeway and just within Leaf-range of most of the Los Angeles basin. We followed the signs along the street to "Electric Vehicle Charging Station", only to find the old paddle/Avcon chargers.

I used the Camarillo Outlet website to submit a comment about the outdated EVSE's, and got this prompt reply:

Thank you for your email regarding Camarillo Premium Outlets. We are currently working with the Ventura County Transportation Department and have plans on updating the car charging units by the end of 2011.

Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Brian Sikoff
Assistant General Manager
Camarillo Premium Outlets®
740 E. Ventura Blvd., # 504, Camarillo, CA 93010

So let's keep an eye on this location - I think there was infrastructure for at least 3 chargers, and two large outlet malls (and a movie theater) within easy walking distance. This would be an outstanding L2 location, based on the shopping (easily 2-3 hours without a movie) and the geographic location. I could reach Santa Barbara easily with a 'boost' charge here.

EricH said:
On a trip to Santa Barbara (in my backup ICE, alas) on July 30, we stopped by the Camarillo Premium Outlets...

While this is great news (and would indeed make a trip to Santa Barbara possible), I found myself temporarily confused. I really thought that there was a place that had premium electrical outlets in Camarillo... in which case, it'd be silly of them to have old-style chargers if that's the sole purpose of their business :)

Yeah, but you want to be particularly careful to avoid those streets that are signed, "No Outlet"

haykinson said:
EricH said:
On a trip to Santa Barbara (in my backup ICE, alas) on July 30, we stopped by the Camarillo Premium Outlets...
While this is great news (and would indeed make a trip to Santa Barbara possible), I found myself temporarily confused. I really thought that there was a place that had premium electrical outlets in Camarillo... in which case, it'd be silly of them to have old-style chargers if that's the sole purpose of their business :)

We live in Ventura County and drive our LEAF to Santa Barbara multiple times. The trip would not be possible without an AVCON adapter, where there are several sites to chose from when needing a charge along the way. We appreciate everyone's efforts to have places like the Camirillo Outlet update their EVSEs. In the meantime, I'll keep my adapter... So much for the EV Project... :cool:

It can be done. There are two options...

Stop in Malibu
It's 72.6 miles from Malibu to Santa Barbara. There are 3x J1772 EVSEs in Malibu; 2x ClipperCreek units at the Malibu courthouse and 1x AeroVironment unit at the Malibu Country Mart. At the Santa Barbara Downtown Lot #7 there are L1 sockets next to the Avcons (which hopefully will be upgraded). Just a little further out in Goleta there are J1772 plugs at the Rabobank and at Santa Barbara Nissan. Both those destinations are about 80 miles from the courthouse in Malibu.

Stop in Ventura
ChargePoint also shows two J1772 chargers in Ventura which is 34 miles from Santa Barbara and 60 miles from LA. I haven't been there so can't verify these stations but ChargePoint is fairly accurate.

Devin said:

Stop in Malibu
It's 72.6 miles from Malibu to Santa Barbara. There are 3x J1772 EVSEs in Malibu; 2x ClipperCreek units at the Malibu courthouse and 1x AeroVironment unit at the Malibu Country Mart. At the Santa Barbara Downtown Lot #7 there are L1 sockets next to the Avcons (which hopefully will be upgraded). Just a little further out in Goleta there are J1772 plugs at the Rabobank and at Santa Barbara Nissan. Both those destinations are about 80 miles from the courthouse in Malibu.

Stop in Ventura
ChargePoint also shows two J1772 chargers in Ventura which is 34 miles from Santa Barbara and 60 miles from LA. I haven't been there so can't verify these stations but ChargePoint is fairly accurate.

I wasn't aware of the AeroVironment J plug at the Malibu Country Mart (see the updates on Recargo, EV Charger Finder and PlugShare). Good stuff. I'll have to investigate. I spoke with the Santa Barbara superintendent of parking, Victor Garza, and he said they hoped to have J1772s installed soon. In the meantime, an AVCON adapter is nice to have so we can take advantage of the multiple sites along the 101 freeway corridor.

Devin said:

Stop in Ventura
These chargers are part of a condo complex aimed at tech savvy owners. They are for residents, and frequently iced, as no signage.

Management has requested removing visibility from locator software. You should use only in an emergency and get permission from the management. All other J1772 EVSEs in Ventura County are at Nissan Dealers.

TangoKilo said:
I wasn't aware of the AeroVironment J plug at the Malibu Country Mart (see the updates on Recargo, EV Charger Finder and PlugShare). Good stuff. I'll have to investigate. I spoke with the Santa Barbara superintendent of parking, Victor Garza, and he said they hoped to have J1772s installed soon. In the meantime, an AVCON adapter is nice to have so we can take advantage of the multiple sites along the 101 freeway corridor.
Great news about the SB J1772 upgrade!

I'm going to submit an update for the additional Malibu station to carstations.com as well. In the meantime, here's a picture...

malibu_av_evse_110828.jpg

KeiJidosha said:
These chargers are part of a condo complex aimed at tech savvy owners. They are for residents, and frequently iced, as no signage.

Management has requested removing visibility from locator software. You should use only in an emergency and get permission from the management. All other J1772 EVSEs in Ventura County are at Nissan Dealers.
Figured it might be too good to be true. The charger at Rabobank in Goleta has been converted from a Tesla connector to J1772 now so that'd be the only current non-Nissan-dealer.

Devin said:
KeiJidosha said:

Figured it might be too good to be true. The charger at Rabobank in Goleta has been converted from a Tesla connector to J1772 now so that'd be the only current non-Nissan-dealer.
Legacy chargers at Thousand Oaks Transit, National Parks Department, Ventura Mall, and in Ojai are also in process for upgrade.

I can't believe I walked right by the AV EVSE at the Malibu Market without noticing it! I was so close that if it had been a snake, it would have bit me... :mrgreen:

TangoKilo said:
I can't believe I walked right by the AV EVSE at the Malibu Market without noticing it! I was so close that if it had been a snake, it would have bit me... :mrgreen:
Don't feel too bad, I would have completely missed it if my girlfriend hadn't pointed it out. :roll:

mwalsh said:
Shhhh! I'm trying to keep that one a secret! ;) Call it my Plan E for if SM Place; the SM Pier; SM Nissan; and a certain SM resident of our acquaintance are all no-go! ;)
What, no plan F?! ;)

malibu_courthouse_cc_evse_110807.jpg

SRBast said:
Are these Rapid chargers or the normal that will take 6-8 hour depending on battery level? Thanks so much for your info!
All L2, if that is what you mean by 6-8 hour. Used them at both locations. Should really scout for a L1 pirate 120 plug around there too... :)

The City of Ventura has announced that they will be installing L2 Charging points at three locations, 2 at the Ventura Pier Parking Structure (at the base of California St.) 2 behind City Hall (at the other end of California) and something like 5 at the parking structure just off California at Santa Clara.
I do not have a time line yet, but will keep you posted.
I am also pushing to get the city to consider installing more points at the east end of the city.

If you are a Ventura Leaf owner, get in touch with me, we should do a gathering sometime.
badamsfx and I both plan on being at the Santa Monica Plug-In-Day on October 16th in our Black units.

Kent

Bullard said:
The City of Ventura has announced that they will be installing L2 Charging points at three locations, 2 at the Ventura Pier Parking Structure (at the base of California St.) 2 behind City Hall (at the other end of California) and something like 5 at the parking structure just off California at Santa Clara.
I do not have a time line yet, but will keep you posted.
I am also pushing to get the city to consider installing more points at the east end of the city.

If you are a Ventura Leaf owner, get in touch with me, we should do a gathering sometime.
badamsfx and I both plan on being at the Santa Monica Plug-In-Day on October 16th in our Black units.

Kent
These ChargePoint EVSE are in and operating. Signage and cost to charge ($0.50/hr?) still to be completed. Great locations with lots to do nearby.

KeiJidosha said:
These ChargePoint EVSE are in and operating. Signage and cost to charge ($0.50/hr?) still to be completed. Great locations with lots to do nearby.
Thank you for posting this information. I will be using these this weekend. :cool:

Back