Mwalsh Invades Santa Monica!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
This week I participated in a customer research program for a major electronics manufacturer, and had some Korean visitors wanting to ride with me on an "escape" from my normal routine.

I decided to take them from my home in Garden Grove to Santa Monica, where we'd take in a little lunch at Ye Olde King's Head and wander down Ocean Blvd. to the pier. While there, I would take advantage of the Charge Point charging stations in the nearby parking lot for Santa Monica Place, and also reconnoiter the EV charging at the pier parking lot.

Though we had the car loaded with 5 people, and considering that I didn't really watch my speed too closely on the drive up (between 65mph and 70mph the whole way), AND had the A/C on Auto to keep everyone comfortable, we covered the 45 miles using 7 SOC bars.

At Santa Monica Place I charged on L2 for 2.5 hours, returning me to 9 available bars and arrived back in Garden Grove with 3 bars left, driving at a slightly more leisurely pace due to heavier traffic (no more than 65mph), though still with the A/C on the entire way. So 6 bars used coming home. That isn't massively worse than my normal 30 mile/65mph solo commute (generally ~4-5 bars used each way, with or without A/C).

First of all, thanks to lettcco for his accurate reporting of the precise location here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2741&start=125

Much more helpful than Charge Point's map!

So here is me at the first of the four Charge Point EVSEs at SM Place. These are J1772/120v plug combos and then there is one legacy inductive paddle charger. When we were there, there were no other EVs charging, but one spot was taking up by a parked ICE SUV and when we came back from our visit someone pulled another ICE SUV for loading his passengers. Clearly those prime spots are too great a temptation to those without an EV!

Here is me at the Charge Point EVSE #1, having just tapped my card and started charging:

Img_5273.jpg

Here is my car charging, with my visitors waving and giving words of encouragement:

Img_5274.jpg

The charging stations on the pier. Three inductive. One Clipper Creek L2 J1772. One Charge Point L1 only 120v outlet:

Img_5276.jpg

The Clipper Creek and the Charge Point EVSEs:

Img_5277.jpg

Yowza! I did not even notice that they changed that connector! NICE!!! Maybe my email to ChargePoint was taken seriously. I asked for them to provide L2 for at least one of the pier stations. Does that CC unit unlock with the CP card???

TRONZ said:
Yowza! I did not even notice that they changed that connector! NICE!!! Maybe my email to ChargePoint was taken seriously. I asked for them to provide L2 for at least one of the pier stations. Does that CC unit unlock with the CP card???

The Clipper Creek is simply a free standing unit, not a Charge Point one. Completely free, all the time (except I believe that you still have to pay the pier parking fee)!

Mmmmm...Ye Olde King's Head...

Used to work just up the street and would drop in for lunch frequently. Saw Cary Grant there during one of those lunches.

Alright, enough of this reverie, back to Leaf stuff. Nice to see some public charge stations, within a few block of each other. I look forward to the day we can take that sort of thing for granted.

lonndoggie said:
I prefer "experienced". Have you ever been experienced? Well, I have...
Well, in spite of the LEAF audio; now I've gotta listen to Jimi on the ride to work... (it's an "electric" thing) thanks for the cue!

lonndoggie said:
Nice to see some public charge stations, within a few block of each other. I look forward to the day we can take that sort of thing for granted.

I agree. Wish it was like that everyplace!

So now I know that there are four at SM Place, 1 on the pier, and then several(?) over at SM Nissan, I am completely at ease over traveling to SM. Or I will be until those are all constantly in use.

BTW, I don't see the legacy EVSEs going away anytime soon....there are a ton of RAV4EVs bopping around SM. There were two on the pier charging as we were there:

Img_5279.jpg

Pay no mind to Byung....he videotapes EVERYTHING!

Your pics aren't working anymore...I'd love to see those pics... especially the ones on the pier so I know what to look for next time.

fyi, want to mention that I was on the Pier yesterday and noticed that parking there is a flat $12 fee. I recommend parking at Santa Monica Place and walking over if you want to go to the Pier. It's too hard to even get into that lot and that's expensive parking.

mwalsh said:
So now I know that there are four at SM Place, 1 on the pier, and then several(?) over at SM Nissan, I am completely at ease over traveling to SM. Or I will be until those are all constantly in use.

don't forget the ones over at Santa Monica Toyota that are (supposed to be) free to any EV driver. They're at Lincoln and Santa Monica Blvd, so only 3 blocks from the Promenade. I should try to charge over there one of these days. Would be fun to flaunt my Leaf in front of those Toyota folks!

Back