Why would you not lease right now?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaduman

For those on the fence of buying/leasing vs waiting out, here is something to consider (at least for California bay-area commuters with a avg 30-55mile RT commute a day) - I would think this is a very slam-dunk case of going with lease ASAP on 2012 model (because of rebates available now vs waiting for 2013).

* 36-month total cost: $8770.
------ lease $11270 (I got 36month/12K/yr miles, 0-down lease for $322 all-inclusive OTD (35months, 1st month taken out of rebates) - $2500 California rebate (arriving in less than 60days typically).
* savings/month switching from gas to electric: $145 ($215 for gas at $4.5/g with 21MPG car - ~$70 for PG&E cost)
* total fuel-cost savings in 36months: $5220

Total monthly cost after state rebate and savings: $3550 ($8770-$5220) (divide by 36) $98/month (+ insurance cost).
What you get with this:
* HOV lane sticker for use until Jan 1, 2015
* new car with 36-month factory warranty (only pay for maintenance - on electric cars which don't even have oil changes)
* govt funded 240v free (Blink) charger + $1200 worth of installation free - I paid $300 out of pocket (as install was $1500)
* option to buy the car at lease-end for $17600(+tax) or walk-away with a small fee ($300)

Agree for some, the lease/month could be $350-$370, but that is still very much within an effective $150/month cost.

I would scream out loud - just go for it! There is really nothing to lose here (or is it something I am missing?). Yes, the cost of this is that we are being the official-testers for Govt & auto-makers in adopting a revolutionary technology. Those waiting out for so long should have noticed that things haven't been bad actually in adopting this new way of life. Risks seem very low.

cheers
PN, San Jose, CA

The 2013 leaf is supposed to have a 25% larger battery with new cell chemistry that won't die out after a few years. The 6.6 kw charger would be useful too.

Also, in LA they have stripped us of our HOV lanes and turned them into evil HOT lanes.

coolfilmaker said:
The 2013 leaf is supposed to have a 25% larger battery with new cell chemistry that won't die out after a few years. The 6.6 kw charger would be useful too.

Also, in LA they have stripped us of our HOV lanes and turned them into evil HOT lanes.
It will have differently sourced packs. This article, a week old, does not indicate it will have a larger battery: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1078770_2013-nissan-leaf-electric-car-to-use-new-cheaper-battery-cells-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nor would I read there alone that this represents an update in the chemistry to any meaningful degree.

In any case, it's very possible/likely indeed that the 2013 Leaf will cost a lot more than the 2012--and really if you're leasing the car the battery has already proven it's going to get you to lease end, unless you live in a very hot state AND suffer from worse-than-average degradation.

I agree with the OP that leasing these is highly attractive now. I stated in my other thread I just signed off on 24 months and that was $239/month inclusive of everything incl. taxes, and $0 out of pocket. That's $5739 to drive this car for 2 years. Absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, all of these fit. I pick it up tomorrow and am half expecting the police to pick me up on the way out of the parking lot and charge me with grand theft auto.

If you've always wanted a Leaf--and heck even if you haven't--now is the time to get one. Right now, as there's no guarantee the incentives are going to remain in play later.

LTLFTcomposite said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I stated in my other thread I just signed off on 24 months and that was $239/month inclusive of everything incl. taxes, and $0 out of pocket.
Man did I get screwed.

didnt we all? after a supposed wonderful discount, my 36 month lease is $162.02 a month with $10k down and residual of $15,000 and change but everyday its less and less likely i will buy my 2011. the 2014's are starting to look way too tempting.

every year Nissan has improved the model which tells me the 2011 was a bit of a rush job. i have no battery issues, but the CC could be better. i am lucky the weather is not too extreme but it does get cold enough and my aftermarket seat heater is ok for normal days but with GCC on the rampage, who knows what this winter may bring?

If you have PG&E, it's a good bet the charging will push you into the higher/highest tiers of electric rates 34c/kWH. This does seem to be included in your $70 mo for PG&E/1000 miles scenario (residential E-1 12/14c up to some number "some of your electricity", then 32/34c). Count the marginal costs of kWH.

Who killed the electric car? PG&E. If you had SMUD you'd pay about 1/3 for your electricity (1-R, 10c up to 700 kWH then 18c).

srl99 said:
If you have PG&E, it's a good bet the charging will push you into the higher/highest tiers of electric rates 34c/kWH. This does seem to be included in your $70 mo for PG&E/1000 miles scenario (residential E-1 12/14c up to some number "some of your electricity", then 32/34c). Count the marginal costs of kWH.

Who killed the electric car? PG&E. If you had SMUD you'd pay about 1/3 for your electricity (1-R, 10c up to 700 kWH then 18c).
That sucks. I read about these tiered residential rates and they'll do a great job of making people not want to bother. I am in a different state and we have no tiering. I spoke to customer service last week (realizing that I had bought the car before checking, though I guess in the back of my mind I guess I must have known) and was told that I'd have to be consuming gobs of juice to get tiering kicked in, like a small business might. I think my power bill won't increase by more than probably 30% anyway.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
It will have differently sourced packs. This article, a week old, does not indicate it will have a larger battery: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1078770_2013-nissan-leaf-electric-car-to-use-new-cheaper-battery-cells-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No - it won't have "differently sourced" packs. Hitachi ones are likely for hybrids, not BEV.

TN ones will have batteries made in the TN plant. Ofcource the battery chemistry keeps improving year after year.

It will be interesting to see if Nissan will sell an optional hot weather cooling pack.

The deal EatsShootsAndLeafs got is so ludicurous, I look so stupid leasing not too long ago, in April, for $200 more per month for the same 24 month duration.

I started out leasing with about $3800 down. I later bought it out and am now spending $488 per month at 3.5% interest.

There are many times when I regret not buying a beater like every other college student. It doesn't help that i'm stuck with the CARB 36 month thing.

All inclusive. I just edited my original post. If you get $4650 off list as dealer discount (then additional $7500 federal + $1000 nissan rebate), and money factor of 0.00071 (credit score of 740+), and ask for zero down (they deduct the initial payments out of the federal rebate), you will get $322 for 35months (for a 36month lease, 12Kmiles/yr), out the door, zero-down. PM me if you want more details. I am circulating this to my other friends - those who are on the fence, shouldn't let such a great deal go by without knowing.

this also helps Nissan as they register more Leaf sales (hopefully), they will continue to invest in this line-up of cars and improve features etc.

coolfilmaker said:
Stop dreaming. No larger capacity in 2013, no change of chemistry. Yes, you can get the 6.6kW charger if you pay extra for it, but for 99% of owners 3.3kW is all you need at home. 6.6kW is really only useful if you need to do a lot of charging at public charging stations, and can leave the car there 1-3 hours, and can count on an available charging station when you get there. Those are pretty restrictive limitations in my book.

In my case, for example, it would allow us to go to San Francisco (60 miles each way) for something like a musical theatre performance. The catch is that I probably wouldn't be able to find an available EVSE, and then we'd be stuck with an unexpected overnight hotel stay. The DC-QC in Belmont is a lot more effective, and works just fine with my 2011.

Ray

I also said no increase in range, but according to this, maybe there will be one?

http://www.plugincars.com/report-2013-nissan-leaf-get-25-percent-improvement-range-124051.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I also said no increase in range, but according to this, maybe there will be one?

http://www.plugincars.com/report-2013-nissan-leaf-get-25-percent-improvement-range-124051.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

active thermal management of the pack will give nearly all that increase in range during Winter. i cant see how they will manage it without a larger pack

gergg said:
planet4ever said:
Stop dreaming. No larger capacity in 2013, no change of chemistry
Just curious if you know this as a fact, or just an educated guess?
Somewhere in between. What I know for a fact is only that all of the rumors I have seen of larger capacity or change of chemistry have been pretty thoroughly debunked in various threads of this board.

Ray

Looks like they dropped the lease price again for Sep 4- Oct 1, 2012. SV $249, SL $279. Perhaps this was the reason they thought post summer sales would increase?

Ugh, if only the MY 2013 with a better heater would be released. I assume New England winters with a 56 mile RT commute would be much more enjoyable in the 2013.

wow, $249/m is rather nice. In the DC area with no quick chargers yet, $30/m more for the SL and the quick charge port doesn't seem worth it.

* govt funded 240v free (Blink) charger + $1200 worth of installation free - I paid $300 out of pocket (as install was $1500)

How did you get 1200 worth of installation ? I read $400 off. can you provide the details ?

Back