Negotiating Extending 24 Month Lease to Qualify for CA Rebate

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pkelly47

I've been tempted by all these great lease offers in the Bay Area...$59-$99/month, but noticed they're all for 24 months, too short to qualify for the CA rebate. I'm wondering what to expect when I go to a dealer and try to move them to a 30-36 month term. I would guess they're purposefully using this term to get people like me in the door. If anyone's had the experience of "upterming" to qualify for the lease please let me know how it went. General suggestions for negotiating this would also be welcome. Thanks.

It isn't usually hard to get a lease extension, especially if the reason is "I want to lease another Nissan next year." They won't especially want '17 Leafs returned, so the prospects should be good for at least one year's extension.

LeftieBiker said:
It isn't usually hard to get a lease extension, especially if the reason is "I want to lease another Nissan next year." They won't especially want '17 Leafs returned, so the prospects should be good for at least one year's extension.

@Leftie - the problem is the original lease term must be 30 months or longer in CA to qualify for the various state/local rebates.

I've wondered the same thing on why they would intentionally offer a lease term that precludes the lessor from qualifying for the rebates...

But everything is negotiable.

Cheers.

BakoDuck said:
LeftieBiker said:

@Leftie - the problem is the original lease term must be 30 months or longer in CA to qualify for the various state/local rebates.

Correct. Eventually, CVRP folks added language about the original lease part.

I’d gone thru this saga before the language change. I had a pointer to it at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=444180#p444180. Originally I (and others) was told yes, I could qualify by extending my (original) 24 month lease to 36. Later they changed their mind. :(

So, at the 2 year mark, I returned my car.
BakoDuck said:
I've wondered the same thing on why they would intentionally offer a lease term that precludes the lessor from qualifying for the rebates...
When I was in the market, a 2 year lease effective price per month even though it didn’t qualify for CVRP was cheaper than a 3 year lease with the $2500 deducted. There seemed to be a steep drop off in residual between years 2 and 3, making the lease for a 3 year quite expensive per month.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure I was clear when I used the term "extend". I don't have a current lease that I want to extend...instead I'm looking into my first lease. I'm wondering what to expect when I ask them for a 30 month lease instead of a 24 month lease so I can qualify for the rebate. I honestly wasn't really considering the Leaf until I came upon their amazing deals...with the rebate it would be too good to pass up.

Back