Boston Metro (incl. NH, RI, ME & Worcester)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arlington

I'd like to start a relationship with a dealer in Metro Boston who I'd go to for warranty / service bulletin type work, Any recommendations based on a mix of honesty and Leaf savvy? Just from general media mentions, Kelly Nissan seems like they "get" EVs, but I'm hoping you have more direct experience.

I just took delivery of a 2013 coming off-lease that I bought on eBay, so I don't have any relationship good or bad, owed or owing with any local Boston dealer. And for all I know my car has been affected by a service bulletin or something and nobody knows I have it yet, so I'd like to get "in the system" for Nissan.

Kelly Nissan (two closely-spaced locations: Woburn MA &Lynnfield MA) is very clear that they have specific Leaf-certified technicians. This is a good thing (they do do Leaf work regularly enough), but it also means that the whole service team isn't certified. From their advice that the Leaf-trained techs don't work Saturday hours I conclude (1) Don't take your leaf in on Saturday and (2) they're probably senior guys who don't have to work Saturdays like the junior service techs do. They also have a "real" DC fast charge

I worry about Colonial Nissan in Medford, the closest one to me :-( They have no Chademo, and the two L2 chargers, but both spots were ICE'd last night. :-/

Arlington said:
Kelly Nissan (two closely-spaced locations: Woburn MA &Lynnfield MA) is very clear that they have specific Leaf-certified technicians. This is a good thing (they do do Leaf work regularly enough), but it also means that the whole service team isn't certified. From their advice that the Leaf-trained techs don't work Saturday hours I conclude (1) Don't take your leaf in on Saturday and (2) they're probably senior guys who don't have to work Saturdays like the junior service techs do. They also have a "real" DC fast charge

I worry about Colonial Nissan in Medford, the closest one to me :-( They have no Chademo, and the two L2 chargers, but both spots were ICE'd last night. :-/

My experience in this week has confirmed the above. Kelly Nissan Woburn is a regular airport of modern glamour and brisk efficiency (I dislike paying for all that sleek decor) and they seem familiar-enough with Leafs. Colonial Nissan seemed relieved that I'd gone to Kelly--nice enough to call me back (days later) but not really hustling for EV service visits.

Here's a crazy thought: any non-Nissan mechanics specialize in Leafs?
And here's my immediate shoot down of that crazy thought: Probably not: too few cars, too many still under warranty, and too little needing fixing. Still, a brake fluid change isn't uniquely Leaf. For my next one, I'm going to my ICE mechanic who charges $70 instead of dealer list of $120.

I agree with Neil, Marlboro or Milford are both good. Kelly may be OK, I've never been there. The decor seems to be a franchise requirement, all the Nisssn dealers had to create a similar look. LEAF certification requires special training and equipment, a franchise expense with little payback, given the low need for maintenance. Most dealers only have one or two certified techs, some have none. Contact Nissan (or any dealer) with your VIN and they can tell you if there's any outstanding updates for your car. You do want to be in their system in case of recalls.

Back