eBay dealer/crooks/swindlers & the like selling used Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caffeinekid

Just to put it out there, I cannot help but notice that over the last year or so that I have been tossing around the idea of buying a 3rd Leaf, there remain many listings on eBay that are patently inaccurate and (at best) misleading with everything from 'selective' photos of the instrument cluster (ex: item 261819602778) to completely false listings regarding features (ex: item 161637471979). And naturally when you send the seller a question, there is no response...let alone a modification of the description to remove the false or misleading details. This removes ANY possibility of simple mistakes by sellers and points to downright chicanery. Is it possible to adequately beat a dead horse regarding how crappy eBay Motors is or eBay in general has become? :roll:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity (or ignorance).
caffeinekid said:
from 'selective' photos of the instrument cluster (ex: item 261819602778)
link
Most likely, they just wanted to show the odometer, which is the only important value for most vehicles. They don't realize that the battery bars are just as important in a Leaf.
Plus, I noticed that this leaf has a 1.0L engine. ;)
to completely false listings regarding features (ex: item 161637471979).
link
I don't see anything too blatant.
  • Telescoping steering
    Xenon headlights
Did I miss anything else?

Oh, and this is a listing for a NISSNA LEAF. ;)

garsh said:
to completely false listings regarding features (ex: item 161637471979).
link
I don't see anything too blatant.
  • Telescoping steering
    Xenon headlights
Did I miss anything else?

Oh, and this is a listing for a NISSNA LEAF. ;)
This "loaded" S is listed as having:

Telescoping steering wheel
Xenon headlights
Cruise control
Homelink
Premium sound system
Fog lights

For a real chuckle, check out the dealer's terms of sale and then Google the dealership for their REAL feedback including complaints to the BBB and "rip off" reports. Apparently, they even have a practice of operating in direct violation of eBay's own terms of service by completing sales outside of eBay, which is how this guy has managed to keep his deceptive "100% positive feedback."

If you haven't seen it already, check out the article I wrote on InsideEVs about buying a used Leaf and some of the crap I've dealt with and how to get around some of it:

http://insideevs.com/used-nissan-leaf-buying-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adric22 said:
... check out the article I wrote on InsideEVs about buying a used Leaf ...
Good article David.
How did you confirm that some 2014 LEAFs have the heat resistant battery like the 2015s :?:

adric22 said:
If you haven't seen it already, check out the article I wrote on InsideEVs about buying a used Leaf and some of the crap I've dealt with and how to get around some of it:

http://insideevs.com/used-nissan-leaf-buying-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey! That's a really nice writeup. :D Good work.

Another thing I have been tossing around with regards to these used eBay Leafs is the fact that they (dealers) tend to spray out the drive compartment. One of the cars in question here on this thread has pretty obvious corrosion on the inverter case that appears to be from sitting water. I am not sure whether this matters if the connectors are well sealed throughout, but I am particularly cautious in a fully electric scenario like the Leaf.

caffeinekid said:
Another thing I have been tossing around with regards to these used eBay Leafs is the fact that they (dealers) tend to spray out the drive compartment. One of the cars in question here on this thread has pretty obvious corrosion on the inverter case that appears to be from setting water.
I don't think that is a real problem. I wash out the engine bay every time I wash our Leaf and Volt. So far it has never caused a problem.

Just send the seller a message telling him that he's on the hook for installing official Nissan cruise control and fog lights onto this car if you buy it. It's in the description of the car; if he doesn't provide those things, it's a fraudulent sale.

Plus it's just obvious the car doesn't have fog lights. C'mon man!

adric22 said:

Nice article. I guess the battery type on 2014 (and 2013) models is pure speculation/guesswork? How long is the battery warranty if someone plays the below-nine-bars game?

One thing I've found handy as I've been searching for used EVs is this link on Mitsubishi's site: http://www.mitsubishicars.com/rs/file/monroney?vin=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can put any VIN at the end and see the vehicle's factory configuration. Does anyone know of a similar site for Nissan?

Back