$3500 cash back

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubel

I just noticed this offer at Yark Nissan:

Manufacturer Offer
$3,500 NMAC cash back on select Nissan LEAF models

$3,500 cash back

Customer Bonus Cash

Offer only valid 6-03-2014 through 6-30-2014

2014 Nissan LEAF Hatchback SV Front-wheel Drive
2014 Nissan LEAF Hatchback SL Front-wheel Drive
2014 Nissan LEAF Hatchback S Front-wheel Drive

Does anyone know if this is a reduction to the $7500 "lease cash" (tax credit), or is this a separate offer? If it can be stacked ($11,000 cap cost reduction is tasty), I might be taking a drive to the dealer this weekend.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Federal Tax credit. Per Edmunds, the $3500 cash back offer only applies to purchases. Leases have a $8225 contribution towards the Capitalized Cost Reduction.

Interesting... For the SF Bay Area, at http://www.choosenissan.com/san-francisco-oakland-san-jose-area/leaf_all_offers/?next=cn.vsp.featuredoffers.menu.alloffers.vsp_alloffers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I currently see $3500 cash back WITH 0% APR financing for up to 72 months on both '13 and '14 Leafs.

cwerdna said:
Interesting... For the SF Bay Area, at http://www.choosenissan.com/san-francisco-oakland-san-jose-area/leaf_all_offers/?next=cn.vsp.featuredoffers.menu.alloffers.vsp_alloffers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I currently see $3500 cash back WITH 0% APR financing for up to 72 months on both '13 and '14 Leafs.

very typical MY change process to move inventory. nothing really new here

kubel said:
I just noticed this offer at Yark Nissan:

Manufacturer Offer
$3,500 NMAC cash back on select Nissan LEAF models

$3,500 cash back

Customer Bonus Cash

Offer only valid 6-03-2014 through 6-30-2014

2014 Nissan LEAF Hatchback SV Front-wheel Drive
2014 Nissan LEAF Hatchback SL Front-wheel Drive
2014 Nissan LEAF Hatchback S Front-wheel Drive

Does anyone know if this is a reduction to the $7500 "lease cash" (tax credit), or is this a separate offer? If it can be stacked ($11,000 cap cost reduction is tasty), I might be taking a drive to the dealer this weekend.
At my dealer in Evanston IL, they have new 13 S for $14,600 after the Nissan, dealer, federal and state rebates.

I should stock up on a few at that price!!

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 253
I talked to the dealer and was told the $3500 can be combined with 0% for 72 months, but it can't be combined with the $7500 cap cost reduction (tax credit passed down) on a lease.

greengate said:
At my dealer in Evanston IL, they have new 13 S for $14,600 after the Nissan, dealer, federal and state rebates.
Similar in CA right now:

$28800 MSRP - $3500 NMAC Cash - $7500 Tax Credit - $2500 State Rebate = $15300

Even if you trade in your old LEAF for only $10k you effectively leased your LEAF for an amazingly cheap price. Of course, that's the base model, upgrade to the SV and it will double your effective cost, but even then it's not bad (better than leasing from the start) and then you get upgraded to 6.6 kW L2 charging and a new battery pack.

What is Nissan going to do with all these old LEAFs down ~20% capacity that will inevitably come in on trade-ins?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Gotta get rid of em before they roll out the 15s? Or has somebody bought a 15 already?
I went to dealer today to discuss purchasing one of the 2015 they have on order. The $3500 isn't being offered on 2015 models so I thanked then for their time and left. I suspect it won't be too long before Nissan has to do something with 2015 if the scuttle about different battery sizes in 2016 comes to fruition. Yes, I am considering replacing 1561.

TaylorSFGuy said:
Yes, I am considering replacing 1561.
Why a '15 and not a '14 if the '14 is $3500 off? There's basically no changes to the '15 except for a couple different colors.

So they are putting $3500 on the hood if you buy but not on leases? An indication they want to reduce their exposure to residual values and get more people buying?

LTLFTcomposite said:
So they are putting $3500 on the hood if you buy but not on leases? An indication they want to reduce their exposure to residual values and get more people buying?
I think of it as more like evening the playing field between leasing and buying. With the current lease pricing there is no incentive to buy and a lot of people are simply adverse to leasing vehicles.

LTLFTcomposite said:

If they wanted to discourage people from leasing, Nissan could choose to limit or even eliminate the amount of the Federal tax credit passed onto the consumer, raise money factors, etc. But there's no sign of them doing that, based on the deals people are boasting about here.

As drees said, they want to entice more people to buy a car that otherwise wouldn't due to cost, but for some reason can't or won't lease it either.

drees said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I think of it as more like evening the playing field between leasing and buying. With the current lease pricing there is no incentive to buy and a lot of people are simply adverse to leasing vehicles.

that is what it sounds like to me as well. it is simply way too cheap to lease. I am leasing just an S but with quick charge for nothing down, over $500 in forgiveness on my previous lease and for $245 a month. factor in gas savings and there is hardly a car in the world that can compete on that level much less provide the same level of "fun to drive" experience.

add to that rumors of a larger pack in less than 2 years and its hard to not want to lease if you are in the market right now. as it is, my lease has 2½ years to go and it will be torture driving around in my 80 mile LEAF while others are doing double the range!

LTLFTcomposite said:
If Nissan really wanted people to buy this car then they would offer replacement parts (battery packs) at a reasonable price.

+1

I had never leased before but did this time due to the uncertainty of the technology and the anticipated rapid progress of offerings. It turned out to be fortuitous in light of the Leaf battery problems... Whatever my next EV is, I anticipate leasing again for the same reasons...

KJD said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
If Nissan really wanted people to buy this car then they would offer replacement parts (battery packs) at a reasonable price.

TomT said:
+1

I had never leased before but did this time due to the uncertainty of the technology and the anticipated rapid progress of offerings. It turned out to be fortuitous in light of the Leaf battery problems... Whatever my next EV is, I anticipate leasing again for the same reasons...

KJD said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

leasing is the only way to go. I told myself, i would not buy until I have a car that does 150 miles but considering the immaturity of the technology, infrastructure, etc. I might have to re-evaluate that statement as well.

I made that statement based on waiting to get the 150 mile range in the first place (i expected to have it this year but...) along with a continuing maturity of the public charging infrastructure (which has nearly stalled here...) for those now rarer occasions I would need it. but neither has happened and realizing that the bottom line for EV manufacturers is the same as it always was. Milk the cow until it is comatose before bringing in new blood

KJD said:

Agreed. Even with $3500 knocked off the asking price, I'm not going to make a long term commitment on the LEAF without some assurance that Nissan will have a replacement pack available for purchase. Uncertainty about the practicality of long term ownership is not going to help residual value.

I fear the cow being milked is the US taxpayer, with Nissan collecting a $7500 spiff for putting EVs on the road with a 3-4 year lifespan, and collecting CARB credits in the process. If those cars wind up prematurely on the scrap heap there's a good chance the media will catch on. Not to mention the subsidy funds may run out, and several years from now we could be right back where we were a few years ago with no EVs on the road.

But yeah, as long as you can lease cheap I see no reason to take the risk on buying. Not a lot of comfort Nissan has my back.

OT I know but it does make me think how many of those tears shed over the EV1 would have turned to anger had GM let people keep the cars but not been there to support them. You really need a manufacturer to stick with you for the life of a product.

Is there a chance that they are offering this to help soften the car's price in preparation for a cheaper 2015 model? Nothing has been published about the 2015's price, as far as I can see.

Back