Just bought used CPO Nissan LEAF, does license fee include the yearly tabs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

be236

I just bought a used CPO Nissan LEAF 2017 S from Nissan dealer, and there was a $650 license fee included as part of the purchase.

I know that pays for the license plates itself (which I was told the dealer would get soon and I would come in to pick them up) but does that include the yearly tabs as well?

I'm in WA state.

'tabs' are the little stickers you attach to your license plate every year. Here in CO you get a month tab and a year tab when you get the new plates. Then every year at the appointed month, you re-register your car and get another year tab that goes over the old one(s) on the license plate to show your registration is up to date.

goldbrick said:
'tabs' are the little stickers you attach to your license plate every year. Here in CO you get a month tab and a year tab when you get the new plates. Then every year at the appointed month, you re-register your car and get another year tab that goes over the old one(s) on the license plate to show your registration is up to date.

Yup. That's what I mean about "yearly tabs."

So, assuming I get those tabs with my new plates... how do I recover the balance of what I overpaid?

So, I paid $650 to the dealer for these license plates, and say it only cost $250 from WA state, how do I get my $400 back??

I'm not in WA but there is a good chance that the first, original registration will cost more than subsequent years. At least that is the case for me. I don't know why but it could be due to the lower value of a several year old car vs a new car.

Don't know the WA DMV procedures, but in Oregon - you normally renew your registration every 2 years (and get a new little sticker). However, when you buy a new vehicle you register it for 4 years and the fee is accordingly higher. There is also a one time charge for the title and for a new plate, unless you are transferring a plate from a previous vehicle. You can look up all the fees on your state DMV website.

goldbrick said:

Ah, just different lingo. I've always heard them referred to as "registration stickers" but ours have the month and year together. Tabs makes sense if you've got to distinguish between two different ones.

^^^
I've heard them referred to as both tabs and tags. But I've only lived in CA and WA.

In WA, they even refer to them as tabs at https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/renewyourtabs.html.

I see numerous hits for tags when Googling for site:dmv.ca.gov tags.
be236 said:
So, assuming I get those tabs with my new plates... how do I recover the balance of what I overpaid?

So, I paid $650 to the dealer for these license plates, and say it only cost $250 from WA state, how do I get my $400 back??
Beats me. Ages ago, I bought my 06 Prius new here in CA at Toyota Sunnyvale.

Out of the blue, maybe a month or two later, I received a check from the dealer for over payment or them apparently overcharging me for registration. I was surprised. I had no idea I was somehow overcharged and figured that most dealers would just pocket it. I don't think it was a huge amount of $... somewhere between $3 and $50. I don't think it was anywhere near $100.

I'm guessing you double checked https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/fees.html. Do note there is a $150 electric car fee.

be236 said:
You think the dealership put in all that effort* for free ?
I have always made it a habit of telling dealerships that I would take care of the registration myself at the MVD so that those charges are off the table. I figured it was a good investment of my wife's time ;-)

*That is a joke, in case you were wondering. However, the dealership does have the right to charge for the service; and charge they do, as the market will bear out of ignorance/laziness.

cwerdna said:
^^^
I've heard them referred to as both tabs and tags. But I've only lived in CA and WA.

In WA, they even refer to them as tabs at https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/renewyourtabs.html.

I see numerous hits for tags when Googling for site:dmv.ca.gov tags.
be236 said:

Beats me. Ages ago, I bought my 06 Prius new here in CA at Toyota Sunnyvale.

Out of the blue, maybe a month or two later, I received a check from the dealer for over payment or them apparently overcharging me for registration. I was surprised. I had no idea I was somehow overcharged and figured that most dealers would just pocket it. I don't think it was a huge amount of $... somewhere between $3 and $50. I don't think it was anywhere near $100.

I'm guessing you double checked https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/fees.html. Do note there is a $150 electric car fee.

Thanks for the WA link! I knew I should have gone there to look up more info... still trying to figure out why to get my extra dough I overpaid to the dealer ($650 is their standard fee they add when buying the car)... The sales guy said somehow I got it back from the WA State Licensing dept.. he was very clear about it or I didnt hear him well...

SageBrush said:
be236 said:
You think the dealership put in all that effort* for free ?
I have always made it a habit of telling dealerships that I would take care of the registration myself at the MVD so that those charges are off the table. I figured it was a good investment of my wife's time ;-)

*That is a joke, in case you were wondering. However, the dealership does have the right to charge for the service; and charge they do, as the market will bear out of ignorance/laziness.

Oh, I didnt know I could negotiate to pay that license fee myself when I bought the car! D'oh! Now I gotta figure out how to get back this dough I overpaid the dealer...

Back