ga 2012 lease ending questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkshack

My lease ends this summer and I am trying to decide what to do. Currently I have the offer to purchase the car for 5000 off residual. I can also extend the lease or turn it in.
Tonight I had the car appraised by CarMax. They said the car is worth 10000 for them to by. They said the tires need replacing and I have a scratch.

I have a few questions.

1. Given that the leas does not end until august will they likely give me a further discount if I get closer.
2. I am missing a key. Should I replace that prior to turning in the car.
3. Should I worry about the tires?

rkshack

All NMAC lessees should download and read NMAC's guidelines on Fair Wear and Tear which also contains other lease-end information such as the pre-return inspection process:

http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/owning/Wear_and_Use_Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If CarMax says it needs new tires, NMAC will probably not accept them as-is. Per that guide, if your tires have less than a consistent 1/8" (4/32") tread depth, you will be charged for excess wear. Note that is DEEPER than the legal minimum of 2/32" in most states, so just because the wear bars aren't showing doesn't mean it's acceptable to NMAC. You can also be charged if there is sidewall damage, or if not all 4 are part of a matching set (e.g. 3 tires are Ecopias but one is something else because it replaced a damaged OEM tire), or other conditions as soecified in the Guide.

The Guide also specifies what level of body or paint damage is considered OK (hint: not much).

I am doing my inspection in a few weeks. Should I go ahead and get new tired prior to the inspection or wait until after the inpection is done and then replace them? Are there any restrictions as to brand of tire. I am going to try to find the cheapest I can find. So far its $56 per tire plus installation etc.

Rkshack

rkshack said:
My lease ends this summer and I am trying to decide what to do. Currently I have the offer to purchase the car for 5000 off residual. I can also extend the lease or turn it in.
Tonight I had the car appraised by CarMax. They said the car is worth 10000 for them to by. They said the tires need replacing and I have a scratch.

I have a few questions.

1. Given that the leas does not end until august will they likely give me a further discount if I get closer.
2. I am missing a key. Should I replace that prior to turning in the car.
3. Should I worry about the tires?

rkshack

If carmax is willing to buy for $10,000 doesn't that mean they'd sell it for at least $12,800?

What are the private sales looking like in your area?

What is the price they want you to pay to purchase the car, $5000 off what?

I see used Leafs listed in our area from 12,500 to 14,500.

I just bought a 2012 SL (with quick charge) for $13,300 (plus taxes and reg) with 17,000 miles and it was in near perfect condition cosmetically. It seemed to be the best deal out there at the time for features, year and mileage in my area. I seem to be getting 80+ miles of range (sometimes it starts out at 100+, but I'm a very good hyper-miler after years of a Gen 1 Honda Insight to teach me) but I've not driven the Leaf's battery all the way down but it looks all intact.

Are you trying to figure out whether you should return it or purchase it for resale? Sounds like you don't want it.

rkshack said:
I am doing my inspection in a few weeks. Should I go ahead and get new tired prior to the inspection or wait until after the inpection is done and then replace them?

Unless they are obviously bald or have glaring defects like bulging sidewalls, I would wait for the inspection.

Are there any restrictions as to brand of tire. I am going to try to find the cheapest I can find. So far its $56 per tire plus installation etc.

Regarding tires, AFAIK there is no brand restriction, but they do have to "match vehicle’s original tire type, quality, size and rating" and all four have to be matching. If those $56 tires are old manufacture (but never used) and/or are from a no-name overseas manufacturer, NMAC might object.

Back