Audi Traffic Light Assist helps you hit every green light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/09/audi-traffic-light-assist-ces-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/03/10/audi-traffic-light-recognition-could-save-240-million-gallons-of/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any hypermiler will tell you that the way you drive your car has a huge impact on how much energy it uses. But these greenfoot drivers haven't had a car that's smart enough to tell them about the inner lives of traffic lights. That's what a prototype system in an Audi A6 Saloon that the German automaker recently tested in Las Vegas can do. Since the car can communicate with local traffic signals and is able to predict when lights will change, the car can help reduce CO2 emissions by up to 15 percent. Further, Audi says that the system could save some 238 million gallons of fuel (900 million liters), if deployed across Germany. We can only imagine what hypermilers could do with this...

I doubt it can communicate with the simple electro-mechanical stoplights we have all over the country. They are talking about the so-called "smart lights" only.

Does it really help get more vehicles through the light during rush hour?
If it takes 2+ cycles to even get through the light how does it help?
Sure if traffic is very light....

Also helpful to sinc the lights a bit better. ;) And better signal sensors to detect approaching vehicles.

smkettner said:
Does it really help get more vehicles through the light during rush hour?
If it takes 2+ cycles to even get through the light how does it help?
Sure if traffic is very light....

Also helpful to sinc the lights a bit better. ;) And better signal sensors to detect approaching vehicles.
+1. If traffic is heavy/congested, it won't be of much help.

Back