Brake intensity info on rear STOP lights - LED VU-meter bar

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikexilva

I think it would be easy for Nissan to also innovate with a system like this in Nissan Leaf because:
- The stop lights in the Leaf are already like 2 LED VU-meter vertical bars.
- The regenerative power information is already shown in the dashboard (although I'm not sure if it is directly related to the breaking pressure, it's a start)

I think over all this would increase the safety of the car, because there are some drivers that should keep a safe distance behind and when the front car breaks, they might break too hard and so on for the driver behind. This is a known problem in Portugal where lots of drivers tend to keep glued to the front car at any speed.

I don't understand why I haven't seen any car with a similar system, could this be considered not legal under current laws? (anyway the middle STOP light should act normally as it always have been (ON/OFF).

Actually, BMW had a system exactly like that on the 7 series a number of years ago so it is legal. I also had a cyberlight system for my motorcycle more than a decade ago that provided that same function.

Tom

mikexilva said:
I think it would be easy for Nissan to also innovate with a system like this in Nissan Leaf because:
- The stop lights in the Leaf are already like 2 LED VU-meter vertical bars.
- The regenerative power information is already shown in the dashboard (although I'm not sure if it is directly related to the breaking pressure, it's a start)

I think over all this would increase the safety of the car, because there are some drivers that should keep a safe distance behind and when the front car breaks, they might break too hard and so on for the driver behind. This is a known problem in Portugal where lots of drivers tend to keep glued to the front car at any speed.

I don't understand why I haven't seen any car with a similar system, could this be considered not legal under current laws? (anyway the middle STOP light should act normally as it always have been (ON/OFF).

I think if Nissan planed from the beginning, it would be cheap to include this... Nissan or any other brand, why don't we see them?

mikexilva said:
Nissan or any other brand, why don't we see them?

Maybe because it's not exactly obvious why someone's tail lights are acting all funny, thus not really transmitting any useful information to the driver behind you. Might even be a mild distraction.

The closest I've seen to this is on public transit buses, which flash their 4-ways when coasting. They're normally gong to be stopping soon if the driver lets up off the pedal so the hazard flashers really only have to attract attention so drivers will see the brake lights that come on soon after.
=Smidge=

There is already a system like that on most cars today.. The "hazard flashers" or what you call them.. They start to blink if you break very hard..

Then.. the problem that people are to close behind you.. It wont help with any warning lights for them, if you break hard they will never have time to bring their foot to the break pedal.. They should go to driving school again and learn to keep distance..

I usally either flash my "hazard flashers" at thoose being to cloose.. Or i break a bit hard to have them move back...

taztaz said:
I usally either flash my "hazard flashers" at thoose being to cloose.. Or i break a bit hard to have them move back...

I usually find time to clean my windshield with the sprayers. Good and clean, nice and clean..

GroundLoop said:
taztaz said:

I usually find time to clean my windshield with the sprayers. Good and clean, nice and clean..

Haha true.. Actually i do that too :) Its a more descrete way.. :) Its not that often people here get too close.. Especially not now in the winter.. Right now we have 2-3cm thick plain ICE on the smaller roads around here..

Back