Maxwell EPO lightweight e-bike

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

I'm a fan of e-bikes, but not their weight. This seems to solve that problem, via ABG:
Maxwell EP0 is the lightweight e-bike for bicycle purists
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/26/maxwell-ep0-lightweight-e-bike/

26-31 lb. depending on variant (single speed, two-speed hub or 9 cog freewheel).

Converting watt-hours to amp-hours doesn't seem straightforward. Does that make this a 2.5AH pack? Does that mean 45minutes of runtime from full to depleted battery? Does the 300 watt motor pull much more than that from the pack under load?

LeftieBiker said:
Converting watt-hours to amp-hours doesn't seem straightforward. Does that make this a 2.5AH pack? Does that mean 45minutes of runtime from full to depleted battery? Does the 300 watt motor pull much more than that from the pack under load?
I didn't see Ah anywhere in the link, or much detail beyond 250Wh/300W. Typical hub motors start at 250W and go up from there; I've seen 350W recommended for many, but this bike is about half the weight of those. The main thing from my perspective is that this thing could be pedaled pretty much like a normal bike, without feeling like it's loaded for a bike camping trip. And the 'carry it up the stairs' weight is also right in the same ballpark as the regular bikes I've been riding/carrying for decades.

I'm familiar with ebikes - I have several. I'm trying to say that either they don't want us to be able to estimate range (no ebike manufacturer or retailer has ever, AFAIK, given an accurate real-world range for their products) or they fear that the low capacity of the pack will scare people away even if the bike will go 15 miles on it - which seems unlikely in real-world riding. I agree that there is a market for bikes like this, and they at least didn't make the common mistake of giving it an anemic 250 motor. 300 watts is probably just enough for a light bike.

Back