Nissan BladeGlider - Performance EV Concept

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drivesolo

Bladeglider.jpg

Autoblog Article: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/08/nissan-bladeglider-concept/

With the narrow front track, perhaps not the greatest
geometry for its turning stability?
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/nissan-bladeglider-concept/#photo-1538444/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garygid said:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/nissan-bladeglider-concept/#photo-1538444/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was the same beef drivers had when they saw the Deltawing race car for the first time. It turned out the car could still turn very well, and the aero/weight advantage of the design was substantial. No one else is really jumping on the bandwagon in the ALMS series with such narrow front track designs, but the front stability and grip has not proven to be a problem.

This concept car is interesting, but I don't see it coming to production in the same guise anytime soon, or ever. Just give me a small, light, simple, cheap, two-seater ESFLOW EV in the next two years, Nissan!

TT

I wish auto makers would stop making concept cars that we all know will never be produced and spend more time making their existing crappy designs better. Remember the Toyota Volta? How about all those EV concepts that are never made? Lots of amazing designs are shown that are viable and yet they spew out the same junk. I think these concepts are projects designed to keep talented designers from leaving the companies from boredom. :lol:

Insideevs has posted more videos and the press release from Nissan excerpted below.

Advances such as in-wheel motors and carbon fiber for weight reduction will both probably be commonplace in all BEVs soon, IMO.

I give Nissan a lot of credit for going long with the concept, but I want a smaller, lighter, more efficient and longer range sport BEV soon, so I hope Nissan either bring an Esflow into production in the next few years, or that it fast-tracks this next-generation design.

Yeah, the delta looks weird to our ICEV-formed conceptions of vehicle design, but if function determines this form, I hope Nissan has the guts to build it.

...A Provocative Shift in the Engineering Paradigm

With its narrow, 1.0 meter lightweight front track and wide, stable rear track, BladeGlider looks as if it could have sprung from a “skunk works” project. But the radical architecture all boils down to aerodynamics and balance. Having the front wheels close together reduces drag and enhances maneuverability for high G cornering power, assisted by its 30/70 front/rear weight distribution ratio. Aerodynamic downforce is created by the highly rigid yet lightweight carbon-fiber underbody, hence the lack of drag-inducing wings.

When BladeGlider matures into a production car, it could be Nissan’s first use of in-wheel motors. The in-wheel motors provide rear-wheel propulsion with independent motor management, while also contributing to freedom of upper body design and space-efficient packaging.

To power the electric motors, BladeGlider employs Nissan’s innovative lithium-ion battery technology, proven in Nissan LEAF. Battery modules are mounted low and toward the rear to enhance stability and handling.

Revolutionary Breakthrough in High-Performance Design

BladeGlider embodies a fearless vision of the EV future. Its tightly streamlined deltoid body comprises a tough and structurally optimized chassis wrapped in ultra-lightweight, yet strong and stiff, carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) finished in a pearlescent white color that evokes the pristine freedom of a glider. The racing-inspired exterior features a sculpted contour that is both functional and breathtakingly beautiful. Starting from the low, flat and narrow nose, the body line rises gracefully to the cockpit canopy and then curves forcefully back over the large rear wheels, evoking a sense of dynamic movement even when the vehicle is standing still...

http://insideevs.com/nissan-bladeglider-concept-headed-for-2013-tokyo-motor-show-wvideos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This concept car is interesting, but I don't see it coming to production in the same guise anytime soon, or ever. Just give me a small, light, simple, cheap, two-seater ESFLOW EV in the next two years, Nissan!

Yes, please Nissan give us the ESFLOW!

By Nissan introducing the BladeGlider concept w/ no mention of the Esflow as slated for production indicates that Nissan really does not plans for a performance oriented Production EV at this time. So it looks like we may be about 5 (or more) years away from a Nissan performance oriented EV car on showroom floors. But the Tokyo motor show is still a couple of weeks away and supposedly there will be 2 concepts regarding performance cars from Nissan; one intended to be a BRZ/FRS challenger for a youth oriented the mass market and the other a higher-end specialty car. I'm not completely sure which one the BladeGlider represents but I would think the latter. However Nissan has also also recently indicated that the R36 GT-R will be receiving an electric hybrid-drive powerplant. I'm not sure how that will factor in to what will be presented at the motorshow.

garygid said:

And combine this with a 70% rear weight distribution! :shock:

Drivesolo said:
By Nissan introducing the BladeGlider concept w/ no mention of the Esflow as slated for production indicates that Nissan really does not plan for a performance oriented Production EV at this time.

As of today, I am not going to disagree with this^. It would seem that Nissan is moving the goalposts on their EV's into a more "exotic", "far future" category. Nissan design always described LEAF as "from the near future". EsFlow was "a fully resolved and realistic electric sports car". Bancon has made no secret that Nissans next generation of EV's would be more radical and try to exploit new architecture/packaging made possible by electric propulsion. I would say BladeGlider is it! But there does seem to be something missing in how Nissan made such a huge leap from EsFlow to BladeGlider. The sub-Z (EsFlow?) at Tokyo may shed some light into this gap. If the cup is half full, Ghosn has said that ALL future Nissans will be Hybrids, so a ZEOD powered FRS/BRZ fighter option may be in the mix some day. If the cup is half empty, BladeGlider may indicate that Nissan has lost their way and now unclear how to move forward on production EV's "Today" and "Now". BladeGlider is SO radical, I am a little afraid it's the latter.

So back to BladeGlider design. I will call it "interesting" and intriguing but not especially easy on the eyes. I know a great deal about glider design and all that clumsy stuff hanging on the nose is definitely NOT it! A quick walk around ZEOD should have made that clear. But that F1 drivers seat view is absolutely amazing and very seductive. To pull this concept down to earth though, some actual performance numbers and specs would go a long way in peaking the interest of the go fast crowd.

Tokyo is still a couple of weeks away but I feel that the BladeGlider Concept is very bad news regarding an Electric Sports Car from Nissan. If the plan was to triangulate segments by offering EV's in Practical, Luxury and Performance categories, Nissan is now showing us fairy dust in two of them.

With 30% of the weight on the front and the narrow front track, this thing's gotta push. I'm thinking you need to dial in some toe out on the loaded rear tire, the outside wheel, and some toe in on the inside rear tire to help it turn. This can be accomplished within the suspension by adjusting the steering and control arm defection angle differences as the vertical deflection changes. I like the style and the aero improvements.

^ This will help. Here's Chris Harris's take on the Delta Wing. Ben Bowlby, the man behind the DeltaWing explains the black magic that makes it work. Harris is amazed by how it can corner w/ tires as narrow as as a Citreon 2CV. Yes, the front is so light that Ben Bowlby even picks it up. But it works. Yeah... crazy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_INdbXMqsw[/youtube]

From Motor Trend;

"Because Nissan bosses say that this concept hints at an upcoming production version. This is a big claim, and a lot would have to transpire for the car to clear safety and crash regulations in order to show up on Main Street. But Nissan is serious. If the company's bean counters have their way, we could see the concept on the road within three years."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_vehicles/1311_nissan_bladeglider_concept_to_smash_barriers_at_2013_tokyo_motor_show/#ixzz2k5simsvG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The video is COOL!

OK, if Nissan is REALLY serious about this car then I'm in. The aesthetics can get cleaned up with all the R&D that is certain to be coming. I actually do not need to be sold on the efficiency benefits of the DeltaWing since I have followed it from the beginning. Come to think of it a three across bench seat in the back would work pretty well for my family of four. Some target specs would be helpful Nissan!

I wish manufacturers would find some other way to project "futuristic", besides blue-ish luminescent exterior accents. You never see these on production cars nor are you ever likely. At least in the US, blue lights are reserved for police and emergency vehicles.

TRONZ said:
From Motor Trend;

... we could see the concept on the road within three years."

...OK, if Nissan is REALLY serious about this car then I'm in... Some target specs would be helpful Nissan!

My own suggested 2017 MY intro target specs would be:

~2,000 Lbs. If Nissan can keep it light (while still meeting fed crash test standards) the handling and acceleration will not disappoint.

~6 m/kWh @ 60 mph, with ~25 kWh available, providing ~150 mile highway range.

~$40,000 base price.

I don't know why they would want to add another layer of controversy .

You already have to convince people that an EV is a valid choice, now you want to convince them that a space ship is the way to go?

Tesla made a 2 seat rocket ship for years, and even sold a few.

Then they made a beautiful sedan, comfy seating, a shape you could be proud to show your friends, with enough range to make it a solid choice, and look what happened.

The Leaf looks weird.
I think it's OK; but the Nismo version is beautiful.

We don't need a spacecraft.
We need a 9Kw charger, and 150+ mile range

I will admit, it is taking almost a full two days for the shock to wear off, but its getting clear that this is an incredibly ballsy (or really stupid) move by Nissan. Sometimes a very fine line separates madness and genius! But check my signature. If they REALLY are going to do this then what the heck! All beginnings are like this so game on! But with everyone's jaw on the floor, it has been easy to not hear that unlike EsFlow, Bladeglider is coming with a production announcement by Nissan. That's pretty huge for EV's, but those of us paying attention immediately think of the MIA LE. So while part of me is very excited about the performance potential of a DeltaWing road car, another is sad (betrayed) that the EsFlow may be getting a gas tank during Tokyo, AND most afraid that Nissan may be just kicking the EV can down the road 2-3 years at a time. EsFlow = No production. BladeGlider (AKA-the craziest thing ever) = Production. Is Nissan Serious???

IF they are serious then Nissan is announcing that they have no intention of parody with the competition. They have plans to outflank and knock down EV rivals through proprietary chasis knowledge and unique EV solutions. Race to where the puck will be! BladeGlider could be a sign that Nissan is far more serious about EV's than even the most eager fanboy ever thought. So, instead of giving us a conventional electric sports car, Nissan is saying "if you wait just a few more years, we can get you something VERY special!".

Or

It's all fairy dust!

From Nissans perspective, they are playing multiple games of Chess with lots of R&D, across lots of models in multiple segments. By comparison, those of us singularly obsessed with the consumer side of pure EV's are just playing Pong. The success or failure of ZEOD will be the real indicator to watch.

IF they are serious then Nissan is announcing that they have no intention of parody with the competition.

This may be correct as written, but I'm pretty sure you meant "parity". If the car comes with the newest battery and a whole raft of other things that got fixed post Leaf, I might be interested in leasing one...

8.5+m+per++kwh.jpg

13.7 km/kwh is 8.5 miles/kwh which is about double what I get in my LEAF. I'm sure that the dash on that BladeGlider is correct (I zoomed in on one of the photos) but what was the average speed? The tease on efficiency along with there being enough seats for my entire family, a target price below the 'Z-car' (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows/nissan-bladeglider-sports-ev-unveiled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and the dramatic and ingenious design - where do I pre-order? I want an Esflow, but will definitely take the BladeGlider.

Back