Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
That guy is a moron
Worse he seems like an obsessed nutjob. Probably no accomplishments of his own in life and needs to compensate by fixating on someone with great accomplishments and somehow diminish them. Really should be under FBI surveillance.

Typical for "considerate" Tesla owners, i.e. use an EV parking spot for convenience?

TeslaPark_zpsunzcad9e.jpg

Didn't even fake it by simulating a connection!

Bjorns video:
Tesla Model S P85 battery degradation after 150k km/94k mi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afxacp5wIZo

4% after 150k km/94k mi is IMO very good.

="Rebel44" Bjorns video:
Tesla Model S P85 battery degradation after 150k km/94k mi...
For those who prefer reality-based data on the Tesla "85 kWh" pack:

2014 Tesla Model S 85 kWh
Advanced Vehicle Testing – Baseline Vehicle Testing Results

https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/fsev/fact2014teslamodels.pdf

Unfortunately, AVTA will not be monitoring degradation for these packs, but it is reporting degradation for the Tesla-battery-equipped Mercedes-b-class:

https://avt.inl.gov/vehicle-button/2015-mercedes-b-class

Showing over 3% capacity degradation on average, after the first ~4,000 miles.

Via IEVS [x-posted to the Model X thread, as this provides info about a possible immediate safety concern]:
Fatal Accident Of Tesla Model S In AutoPilot Mode Opens NHTSA Investigation
http://insideevs.com/fatal-accident-tesla-model-s-autopilot-opens-nhtsa-investigation/

Additional insight, i.e. an objective analysis with supporting data, into the Model S fatality accident:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3986304-detailed-view-tesla-autopilot-fatality#alt1

Basic Conclusion: The combination of TACC (adaptive cruise control) and autopilot resulted in overconfidence
in vehicle guidance control systems, thereby allowing the driver to become totally distracted ignoring potential
safety hazards.

Wasn't sure which Tesla thread this should go into...

Mystery shoppers love Infiniti, hate Tesla
The study shows "huge variation" in the Tesla purchasing experience.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/12/mystery-shoppers-love-infiniti-hate-tesla/

Above points to:
Mystery Shoppers Put Tesla Dealerships in Cellar – Again
http://wardsauto.com/dealer/mystery-shoppers-put-tesla-dealerships-cellar-again

Interesting... Whatever their criteria and questions are, Tesla apparently doesn't do so well on them.

cwerdna said:
Wasn't sure which Tesla thread this should go into...

Mystery shoppers love Infiniti, hate Tesla
The study shows "huge variation" in the Tesla purchasing experience.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/12/mystery-shoppers-love-infiniti-hate-tesla/

Above points to:
Mystery Shoppers Put Tesla Dealerships in Cellar – Again
http://wardsauto.com/dealer/mystery-shoppers-put-tesla-dealerships-cellar-again

Interesting... Whatever their criteria and questions are, Tesla apparently doesn't do so well on them.

Look at the reader comments below the last article; Tesla doesn't use the 'dealer' model; it's a 'store' with Tesla employees -- its no wonder they don't score well against the typical dealer model which is outmoded. I remember when I stopped in to put my deposit down on a Model 3 at a 'store' and I simply loved the experience -- very refreshing compared to many who put the hard sell on --- I'd pick a Tesla 'store' over most dealers any day of the week!

Tesla Launches Model S P100D & Model X P100D, Up To 315 Miles Range, 60 mph in 2.5 Seconds
http://insideevs.com/tesla-launches-model-s-p100d-model-x-p100d/

100 kWh pack and only 300 miles? Most Teslas I see on the highway are in the middle lane going close to speed limit as I pass them. Surely they can get 4m/kWh or more, so more like a 400 mile range?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
100 kWh pack and only 300 miles? Most Teslas I see on the highway are in the middle lane going close to speed limit as I pass them. Surely they can get 4m/kWh or more, so more like a 400 mile range?
Don't forget that the packs are getting heavier as well. It will be interesting to see just how much of a difference it makes at freeway speeds. 15 kWh from the S75D to S90D only gets you an extra 25 miles of range (250 -> 275) @ 70 mph/70 deg.F. per Tesla.

The bigger story, ISTM, is that upgrading from an S60 to an S75 costs you $8,500, or about $566/kWh, but going up from 90 to 100 kWh costs $10,000, or $1,000/kWh. Tesla had to redesign the cooling system so they'e got some extra R&D costs in there, but for a company that's claiming that their packs are well under $200/kWh (manufacturing cost; figure double that for MSRP), that's some serious profit margin. However, it amounts to pocket change for someone who can seriously consider paying $134,500 (P100DL base MSRP) for a car.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Oh definitely. 315 miles is their estimate for the EPA rating. Here's an old graph that includes range curves for the old 85, 60, and 40:
range-speed-model-s.jpg

There's an interactive "Range per Charge" calculator that will give you the range of the various models as you input speed, temperature, and tires: link. It's not yet updated for the P100D, but the 90D at 55mph, 70° F with 19" wheels gives 366 miles of range.

garsh said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Oh definitely. 315 miles is their estimate for the EPA rating. Here's an old graph that includes range curves for the old 85, 60, and 40:

There's an interactive "Range per Charge" calculator that will give you the range of the various models as you input speed, temperature, and tires: link. It's not yet updated for the P100D, but the 90D at 55mph, 70° F with 19" wheels gives 366 miles of range.
They sure as hell can't get 4 mi/kWh at anything approaching normal freeway speeds, which is when range is most critical. Per Tesla's range estimator, an S90D/19" wheels can go 403 miles at 50 mph/70 deg. F, with no HVAC use. Up the speed to 55 and the range drops to 366 in the same conditions; @ 60 mph it drops to 332; @ 65, 302; @70, 275. This is with no wind and no climbing.

There are only 7 states in the contiguous U.S. that have rural interstate limits of 65; 10 allow 75, 7 allow 80, and the other 24 allow 70. If people drive the same way in the rest of the country as they do in the west, most people cruise at least 4-5 mph over the speed limit, if it's set well under the road's design speed. You can knock 8-10 miles of range off those ranges for the P90D/19" wheels & AW tires, even more for the 21" wheels with performance tires. Even an S100D/19" may still be under 300 miles @ 70 mph as above, although it will be close. It should be noted that achieving any of the above ranges requires using the full usable capacity of the battery (bad), and no reserve. While this income demographic may not care that much about battery life, presumably most of them are prudent enough to keep an emergency reserve.

GRA said:
garsh said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

They sure as hell can't get 4 mi/kWh at anything approaching normal freeway speeds, which is when range is most critical. Per Tesla's range estimator, an S90D/19" wheels can go 403 miles at 50 mph/70 deg. F, with no HVAC use. Up the speed to 55 and the range drops to 366 in the same conditions; @ 60 mph it drops to 332; @ 65, 302; @70, 275. This is with no wind and no climbing.

There are only 7 states in the contiguous U.S. that have rural interstate limits of 65; 10 allow 75, 7 allow 80, and the other 24 allow 70. If people drive the same way in the rest of the country as they do in the west, most people cruise at least 4-5 mph over the speed limit, if it's set well under the road's design speed. You can knock 8-10 miles of range off those ranges for the P90D/19" wheels & AW tires, even more for the 21" wheels with performance tires. Even an S100D/19" may still be under 300 miles @ 70 mph as above, although it will be close. It should be noted that achieving any of the above ranges requires using the full usable capacity of the battery (bad), and no reserve. While this income demographic may not care that much about battery life, presumably most of them are prudent enough to keep an emergency reserve.

Yeah, yeah, yeah it's called physics.......All vehicles get less range at 70mph on the freeway, including your beloved FCEVs. Why do you make a big deal about it when it's a BEV but never mention it with other types of vehicles? You're so negative towards BEVs I can't help but wonder why you post on a Nissan Leaf forum? Why not come here to support them? You don't have any threads where you post positive info about BEVs, but you do for FCEVs? What gives? Why not join a forum that focuses on FCEVs? You claim you're neutral and you like both but your posts say otherwise.

GRA said:
Most people aren't going to need 300 miles of range on more than a handful of days per year. All they have to do is slow down a bit (e.g., 60 MPH) if they need a bit of extra range. Much ado about nothing.

The really great thing about 300+ miles of range is that they *might* be able to bypass every other SuperCharger location, which are usually about 150 miles apart. There were many stops I made in my 70D that only required about 15-20 minutes of charge to get to the next SC, so a P100D could probably have just kept on driving.
Unfortunately, it seems that every Tesla I see on Route 95 is doing WAY over the speed limit. They must enjoy longer SC stops. My lifetime energy usage is around 285 watt hours per mile, or 3.5 miles/KwHr, which I think is pretty good. Its not as good as my Leaf, which is doing about 4.1 this summer, but my Tesla is much heavier and has wider tires. On my trip from Florida to PA and back, I actually averaged only 270 WHr (3.7 Miles/KwHr) running at the speed limit the whole time (65-70 mph). Pretty impressive for a 4800 lb vehicle.

rcm4453 said:
GRA said:
garsh said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah it's called physics.......All vehicles get less range at 70mph on the freeway, including your beloved FCEVs. Why do you make a big deal about it when it's a BEV but never mention it with other types of vehicles?
We were talking specifically about the Tesla S100D here, and what kind of efficiency it could get.

As to your question. BEVs suffer more range loss from other causes in addition to higher speeds, and take longer to refuel. I've mentioned winter range loss on ICEs and other cars, but we all know what those causes are. BTW, I've been trying to get real world range vs. speed info in various conditions from FCEV owners as well, but there are so few posting on those boards that there's very little to go on as yet. I have posted some data from Edmunds' Long-term test Mirai, but they have yet to take it on a road trip.

FCEVs aren't beloved by me - they're tools, and have pluses and minuses just like any tech. They happen to be a much closer fit for my operational requirements at the moment than BEVs, although neither with the necessary characteristics is currently affordable, but that will change. I'll be happy whichever way it goes. As ti happens, I'm writing this from the library in June Lake, which is currently (conveniently) unreachable from the Bay Area owing to lake of range/quick charging infrastructure/H2 fuel statiosn by any BEV/FCEV other than a Tesla Model S (85 kWh or larger battery). On the way here I scoped out the permitted SC location in Groveland to see if there was any construction (nope), which will be needed to allow S60s and Models 3s, plus S70s in some conditions, to reach Mammoth Lakes SC from the Bay Area. OTOH, the trip is quick and convenient in my far less expensive ICE, thanks to more than a century of development of both technology and infrastructure. The hope is to get a ZEV/infrastructure with the same capabilities for about the same price, so we can ALL kick fossil fuels for good.

rcm4453 said:
You're so negative towards BEVs I can't help but wonder why you post on a Nissan Leaf forum? Why not come here to support them? You don't have any threads where you post positive info about BEVs, but you do for FCEVs? What gives? Why not join a forum that focuses on FCEVs? You claim you're neutral and you like both but your posts say otherwise.
What you call being 'negative' I call being objective. BEVs have their uses, and I've posted plenty of 'positive' threads about them here and elsewhere, but 1st gen BEV uses remain seriously constrained compared to far less expensive ICE/HEV. Tesla is starting to change this, but there's still a long way to go, as they're simply unaffordable for most people. PHEVs are starting to become practical and cost-effective for mainstream buyers, while BEVs remain niche vehicles, primarily for well-off multi-vehicle families. Gen 2 BEVs should expand the market, and I'll be far more willing to recommend them to people I know in that category without first needing lots of info about how they plan to use the car, but it remains to be seen if it will be enough to move beyond early adopters and reach mainstream consumers. FCEVs are just starting to be available in more than token numbers and have a nascent infrastructure, and they're also restricted to well-off owners, but they can be a family's sole car (albeit currently restricted to major metropolitan areas of California and a few in state get-away destinations), and with long-term fuel costs and ultimate success or failure unknown. I thin Gen 2 BEVs will have reached a stage where their success, although possibly remaining limited to a niche, is assured, although low fuel prices aren't helping matters.

Stoaty said:
GRA said:
Most people aren't going to need 300 miles of range on more than a handful of days per year. All they have to do is slow down a bit (e.g., 60 MPH) if they need a bit of extra range. Much ado about nothing.
The question is how many will find the need to do so, along with more frequent, longer stops for 'fueling' to be acceptable? Most Model S/X owners seem to cruise at the same speeds as everyone else, only slowing down because they have to, not because they want to. If greater range at higher speed weren't important, there would be no need for the S70, 75, 85, 90 or 100; S60s would be adequate for everyone. but with surveys of the general public consistently showing that their range expectations for a car are shaped by ICEs, i.e. 300+ mile range on the freeway (and the supporting factor of fast refueling), trying to convince any significant % of them that having to slow down well below the speed limit (let alone the actual traffic flow) is 'much ado about nothing' strikes me as highly unlikely, and goes against all experience. Otherwise, we'd all have been perfectly happy to keep the national 55 mph speed limit.

Back