Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Via ievs.com:

"Volkswagen e-Golf Priced $35,445 – Available Only Fully Loaded" [$36,265 incl. dest.]

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-e-golf-priced-35445-available-fully-loaded/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm guessing you don't have a Phaeton. I think most of the VW group electrical problems are on audis as they have usually tried to do more fancy things with them.

apvbguy said:
johnrhansen said:
don't VWs usually have electrical problems? EVs and electrical problems don't mix well.
My VW has never had any sort of electrical problems, what problems are you referring to?

minispeed said:
I'm guessing you don't have a Phaeton. I think most of the VW group electrical problems are on audis as they have usually tried to do more fancy things with them.
no phaeton here, I don't think the low sale phaeton could be representative of the VW brand. calling an audi a VW is like calling a mini a bmw

GRA said:
Via ievs.com:

"Volkswagen e-Golf Priced $35,445 – Available Only Fully Loaded" [$36,265 incl. dest.]

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-e-golf-priced-35445-available-fully-loaded/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Priced similar to Leaf SL - but with CCS instead of CHAdeMO. I think this will sell less than Kia soul.

evnow said:
GRA said:
Via ievs.com:

Priced similar to Leaf SL - but with CCS instead of CHAdeMO. I think this will sell less than Kia soul.
The jury's out of the Kia Soul EV... but given the e-Golf's high price tag, limited availability, notoriously spotty (mostly below average) VW reliability, and VW not being a large volume seller in the US, I suspect in the US, the e-Golf will do BMW i3-like sales, maybe doing 500/month at best, but likely more like 100-350/month.

Them doing CCS in the US sure isn't going to help either.

We don't know how Soul will be priced- but won't be more than Leaf. If priced similar to Golf and sold in same markets, Kia will sell more.

cwerdna said:
evnow said:
GRA said:
Via ievs.com:

The jury's out of the Kia Soul EV... but given the e-Golf's high price tag, limited availability, notoriously spotty (mostly below average) VW reliability, and VW not being a large volume seller in the US, I suspect in the US, the e-Golf will do BMW i3-like sales, maybe doing 500/month at best, but likely more like 100-350/month.
Could be. OTOH, the Golf is a much nicer handling car than the LEAF, and it has always provided high utility.
cwerdna said:
Depends. It appears that BMW is talking to both VW and GM about where to put in CCS so they get don't overlap and get maximum bang for the buck, so we could see them start popping up in appropriate places. It would be hard for them to be any slower than CHAdeMO was out of the gate. California and Oregon seem to be doing okay, with the eVgo dual-standard QC stations now starting to appear in the former, and we'll just have to see how much VW and GM are willing to put into CCS, because BMW seems to be fully onboard with installing them at i3 dealers. Not ideal, but a lot better than nothing.

GRA said:
cwerdna said:
Depends. It appears that BMW is talking to both VW and GM about where to put in CCS so they get don't overlap and get maximum bang for the buck, so we could see them start popping up in appropriate places. It would be hard for them to be any slower than CHAdeMO was out of the gate. California and Oregon seem to be doing okay, with the eVgo dual-standard QC stations now starting to appear in the former, and we'll just have to see how much VW and GM are willing to put into CCS, because BMW seems to be fully onboard with installing them at i3 dealers. Not ideal, but a lot better than nothing.
Re: BMW and installing CCS at i3 dealers, I haven't seen anything concrete from them other than their announcement of their $6,548 (subsidized price) 24 kW Combo1 DC FC. Yes, the seemingly low price and light weight is attractive but so far, I know of 0 installed anywhere, let alone BMW dealers. Do you know of any? Maybe that should go in http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11679" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

VW has had a CHAdeMO at their Belmont, CA research facility for ages, now replaced by Efacec dual head CHAdeMO and Combo1 DC FC.

GRA said:
... we'll just have to see how much VW and GM are willing to put into CCS, because BMW seems to be fully onboard with installing them at i3 dealers. Not ideal, but a lot better than nothing.

If BMW's plan is a copy of Nissan's of dealer chargers, Nissan has far more dealers and it's a bungled "end game" plan anyway. I do know that their plans are bigger than that, however (sorry, can't divulge details).

At least VW and BMW are going to be putting a bunch of those cheap 25kW Bosch CCS units, presumably all at their dealers. and more "normal" places for vehicle charging.

I do not know if GM is on board, or any of the other Frankenplug bloc.

People will compare the network as it is today - not how it was in 2011. That is first movers advantage.

cwerdna said:
Yes, the seemingly low price and light weight is attractive but so far, I know of 0 installed anywhere, let alone BMW dealers. Do you know of any?
bmwi3mnl

There is an ABB fast charger at the eVgo site in Mountain View. Another similar install is in California. Both are operational. BMW and NRG announced that the eVgo network will retrofit 100 sites by the end of the year. That's coming up pretty soon, so let's hope that they will live up to their PR.

Volusiano said:
Notably lacking in article is whether there's TMS on it or not?
No TMS from what I've read recently. Last-minute reversal, apparently. They claim that they have tested this, and it will be all fine. I think I may have heard that somewhere before, but I'm not sure where.

surfingslovak said:
cwerdna said:
Yes, the seemingly low price and light weight is attractive but so far, I know of 0 installed anywhere, let alone BMW dealers. Do you know of any?
bmwi3mnl

There is an ABB fast charger at the eVgo site in Mountain View. Another similar install is in California. Both are operational. BMW and NRG announced that the eVgo network will retrofit 100 sites by the end of the year. That's coming up pretty soon, so let's hope that they will live up to their PR.
I was specifically referring to the $6,548 after subsidy BMW/Bosch 24 kW Combo1 DC FC, not anything from ABB, Efacec, BTC Power, etc., which I know exist and are operational.

AFAIK, 0 of those BMW/Bosch DC FCs have been installed anywhere in the US for public access, so far. If there are any, I've seen no pics nor Plugshare links, so far.

cwerdna said:
I was specifically referring to the $6,548 after subsidy BMW/Bosch 24 kW Combo1 DC FC, not anything from ABB, Efacec, BTC Power, etc., which I know exist and are operational.
The Bosch QC was just unveiled to the public at the 2014 Plug In Conference in San Jose last month. It's unrealistic to expect to see it installed anywhere but at R&D facilities right now.

cwerdna said:
AFAIK, 0 of those BMW/Bosch DC FCs have been installed anywhere in the US for public access, so far. If there are any, I've seen no pics nor Plugshare links, so far.
And that's precisely what I have answered above: "BMW and NRG announced that the eVgo network will retrofit 100 sites by the end of the year." It is my understanding that the Bosch unit will be used for retrofits and new eVgo installations. Dealer installs are likely on the horizon as well, but nothing resembling a concrete plan has been publicly communicated.

e-Golf lease deal as reported by ievs.com:

• "$299 Per Month
    36 Month Lease
    36,000 Miles
    $2,000 Due At Signing

"Nissan LEAF (SL) is currently listed at $302/month for 36 months with $2,399 down."

http://insideevs.com/exclusive-2015-volkswagen-e-golf-lease-deal-299-per-month-36-months-2000-due-signing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, and there are apparently some software teething troubles with a particular brand of CCS-2 QC in the UK:

"Volkswagen e-Golf Incompatible With Ecotricity CCS Fast Chargers In UK"

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-e-golf-incompatible-ecotricity-ccs-fast-chargers-uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
Oh, and there are apparently some software teething troubles with a particular brand of CCS-2 QC in the UK:

"Volkswagen e-Golf Incompatible With Ecotricity CCS Fast Chargers In UK"

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-e-golf-incompatible-ecotricity-ccs-fast-chargers-uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I randomly caught one of VW's engineers at a level 2 station, where the e-Golf reportedly had some difficulties. Interestingly, this EVSE from Juice Bar gave my ActiveE some problems earlier as well. This was corrected by the station manufacturer, and by BMW. It was surprising to see that the e-Golf would run into problems there two years later.

egolflevel2testing

evnow said:
Good to see e-Golf with a reasonable lease offer. Not sure why they don't have a lower trim.
To suck up as much profit as they can from the first out of the gate types, if they only build the car in limited numbers. Then, after a year or two, they can lower the entry price by introducing some lower trim level cars. Ford is still doing this with the FFE, and I think the Soul is only coming fully loaded too. While I'm happy to features that add extra utility/safety, I'm happy to do without most of the electronic doodads and gizmos that mainly add to corporate profits without giving me anything I want or need.

Back