Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redLEAF said:
The AW guys like it quite a bit ... 'new benchmark of EV for the common driver' ...

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2015-volkswagen-e-golf-sel-premium-review-notes

We have a '12 Golf R in the family but obviously no real comparison to this new e-Golf; in general VW Golf's are great compact cars, liked Mark Vaughn comments (who happens to own a Mitsu EV) on its range although our now close to 3 year LEAF has showed as high as a 115 miles of range on its GOM as well.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the legendary VW electrical reliability backing all this up.

^^^
We did in May 2014. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=369552#p369552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and some replies on the page after it.

Had a look at an e-Golf on Sunday, although I didn't drive it. I agree with Brad Berman's review: http://www.plugincars.com/volkswagen-electric-e-golf-blue-e-motion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that it's definitely preferable to a LEAF or pretty much any Asian car for those of us who prefer more traditional instrumentation, controls that don't require that we take our eyes off the road to use, and (by report, and as I'd expect) better driving dynamics. Compared to my Subies, it sure was nice to have to move the driver's seat forward to get it in the right position for me, instead of having it all the way back, wishing for more and requiring me to use the cruise control on any trip of more than an hour or so just to let me move my legs around. The Japanese are getting taller, but they still aren't building cars that are as suited to my build as the Europeans.

The back seat room behind me was good too - while not spacious, my knees weren't touching at all and head clearance wasn't an issue either. And surprisingly, with the rear seats folded down and front seats slid all the way forward it was long enough for me to lie down stretched out (6'0"), with my head on the arm rest between the front seats (same thing I do in my Forester). I can do this with the LEAF, but really wasn't expecting to be able to do it in the Golf. Cargo space with the rear seats up was reasonable as well.

All in all, if I had to choose between a LEAF and this, the VW would win hands down. The problem is, this car should have been introduced in 2011, 2012 or maybe even 2013, not Nov. of 2014. While it competes well with the LEAF, it provides no more range than that car, and for me I'd probably opt for the Soul EV for that reason (I haven't checked one out yet, so can't comment on space) - the e-Golf just seems too small an improvement for 2015, when we expect much better range in a couple of years.

GRA said:
All in all, if I had to choose between a LEAF and this, the VW would win hands down. The problem is, this car should have been introduced in 2012 or even 2013, not Nov. of 2014. While it competes well with the LEAF, it provides no more range than that car, and for me I'd probably opt for the Soul EV for that reason (I haven't checked one out yet, so can't comment on space) - the e-Golf just seems too small an improvement for 2015, when we expect much better range in a couple of years.

We drove the new 2015 Chevy Spark EV, BMW i3 and VW eGolf all at the same time on my standard test... 89, 89, 100....

GRA said:
The problem is, this car should have been introduced in 2012 or even 2013, not Nov. of 2014.

It's been more or less ready to ship since 2011, but then went to very, very, very extesive field testing, that lasted for years, and years, and years. Problem with the Germans is they haven't done anything without overthinking it to death since 1945.

GRA said:
the e-Golf just seems too small an improvement for 2015, when we expect much better range in a couple of years.

FWIW, VW seems to plan on rolling out battery improvements as they are available rather than wait for a new model eGolf. That means that we might even see an incremental change every model year or two. I have little doubt that they will keep their promise to double the range by 2018, which would be keeping pace with every other EV out there.

mwalsh said:
GRA said:
The problem is, this car should have been introduced in 2012 or even 2013, not Nov. of 2014.

It's been more or less ready to ship since 2011, but then went to very, very, very extesive field testing, that lasted for years, and years, and years. Problem with the Germans is they haven't done anything without overthinking it to death since 1945.

Well, to be honest, they weren't required to sell a Zero Emission Vehicle in CARB states until 2015 model year. They could wait.

Toyota, Honda, Nissan, GM, Ford and Fiat / Chrysler could not. They had to have model year 2012 ZEV cars.

JeremyW said:
GRA said:
Had a look at an e-Golf on Sunday, although I didn't drive it.
Why didn't you? It's one of the better handling EV's out there...
Asked to, but the salesperson said they weren't letting anyone drive it, as they were selling them as fast as they got them and didn't want to put any miles on it! Of course, until proven otherwise I treat anything out of a car salesman's mouth like the old joke about how you tell if a lawyer (alternately, politician) is lying - their lips are moving. I did notice that they had added an additional dealer markup of somewhere between $4 and 5k to the sticker - maybe there are suckers willing to pay that. Anyway, take it for what it's worth - it was the only one on the lot, while the Nissan dealer up the street had about 30 LEAFs in their storage yard. I can remember when their LEAF inventory was as small, back in 2011. I didn't need to drive it as I've no intention of buying one, so it wasn't a big deal.

One thing I determined is that ID'ing one of these at a distance is going to be tough, as the distinctive markings are very subtle. Small badges on either front fender just below the door crease line and meeting the door gap (much like a Prius), and the same badge on the left (as one looks at it) side of the upper 'grill'; more body-colored solid material instead of black plastic grill in the lower front intakes at the sides, plus a discreet chrome-colored strip wraparound of the lower grill; and no letters ('TSI', 'TDI', 'GTI') on the right side of the rear hatch, just 'e-Golf' rather than 'Golf' on the left. Oh, and apparently wheels unique to it, but didn't confirm that they were only available on it; the brochure says they are, but that could have changed. See for yourself: https://www.google.com/search?q=e-golf+images&rlz=1CASMAD_enUS624US624&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6CzAVNfmNcuwogSQsYLABQ&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:
All in all, if I had to choose between a LEAF and this, the VW would win hands down. The problem is, this car should have been introduced in 2012 or even 2013, not Nov. of 2014. While it competes well with the LEAF, it provides no more range than that car, and for me I'd probably opt for the Soul EV for that reason (I haven't checked one out yet, so can't comment on space) - the e-Golf just seems too small an improvement for 2015, when we expect much better range in a couple of years.

We drove the new 2015 Chevy Spark EV, BMW i3 and VW eGolf all at the same time on my standard test... 89, 89, 100....
Good to know. Did you ever publish the full test results? I've been checking for it at ievs.com and elsewhere, but didn't see it.

GRA said:
One thing I determined is that ID'ing one of these at a distance is going to be tough, as the distinctive markings are very subtle.

I think that's the point, besides the cost savings of not having to engineer a unique platform: some folks don't want a car that screams "I use a different mode of propulsion!"

RonDawg said:
GRA said:
One thing I determined is that ID'ing one of these at a distance is going to be tough, as the distinctive markings are very subtle.
I think that's the point, besides the cost savings of not having to engineer a unique platform: some folks don't want a car that screams "I use a different mode of propulsion!"
They've certainly achieved their goal, as well as winning "most boring but practical looking BEV". The LEAF is practical looking but somewhat polarizing, and most all the other BEVs and PHEVs (bar the iMiEV) have at least some pizazz.

The e-Golf's available color choices are equally limited to restrained colors: white, silver, light and dark gray, light and dark blue, and black, so if you need a car to shout out "Hey, look at me!", this isn't the one for you. My last three cars have been silver metallic so I could live with the color choices, but it's not as if I'd be doing much speeding in one of these cars, so would think at least one 'loud' color would be offered. It's sure worked for Fiat with the 500e, judging by the % of orange ones I see around here. Not so much for the i3, though - the ones I've seen have been blue, silver or white. I could understand if it was a typical BMW, where speeding is pretty likely and you don't want to call attention to yourself, but the i3 just doesn't have that kind of performance, and its looks call attention to it in any case - might as well go the whole hog.

GRA said:
TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:

Good to know. Did you ever publish the full test results? I've been checking for it at ievs.com and elsewhere, but didn't see it.

Computer crashed, super busy, launching new product (JAMP JR), developing numerous other products including JdeMO, remodeled garage, built a work studio, painting garge floor tomorrow, move business into new building, etc, et al, blah, blah...

TonyWilliams said:
Computer crashed, super busy, launching new product (JAMP JR), developing numerous other products including JdeMO, remodeled garage, built a work studio, painting gar[a]ge floor tomorrow, move business into new building, etc, et al, blah, blah...
Tony, all that lying around vegetating isn't good for you! :lol:

It's easy to maintain sales in the 100s per month, especially when you have a relatively new product like VW has. I'm confused when the author states "Volkswagen served notice that they won’t be relegated to the small volume compliance category of EV sales…they are going to the top." 181 sales is hardly "serving notice". Now, if VW announced that they are going nationwide with the eGolf, that would mean something.

I just saw the e-Golf for the first time, and sat in the front and back; and I plan on going there for a test drive this weekend. The front had plenty of room - a little too much legroom actually, which is surprising considering I am 6'-4". On the other hand, I couldn't get in the back with the front seat all the way back. I will see how it works with the front seat in a position that I would actually use.

I am particularly interested in the default coasting mode on the e-Golf, and in it's direct heating defroster.

Lease in broad terms is $2,500 down, and $299/month.

Edit: I saw an e-Golf on the road this morning - my first sighting in the wild.

I test drove the e-Golf today, and I really like the default coasting. It is a bit firmer ride than the Leaf, but still very smooth and it felt well planted. The only surprise is the heater makes noise - a rumble - and it vibrates somewhat. I like the direct heating defroster - the tiny wires run vertically and the are barely visible from the outside, and they are virtually invisible from the inside.

I didn't have time to figure out everything on the dash, and the navigation, etc.

The driver's seat goes back farther than I need it to; and with it in the position I am comfortable with, I can fit in the rear seat behind myself, so to speak. The footwells are deep, so even though the rear seat looks like it has less room than the Leaf, it is actually okay. It is a bit narrower, though, so a fifth person would have to be a child.

Does anyone else think the nav/radio looks really dated? The pixels on the screen are huge! It bothered me more than I thought it would...

It looks like VW is hitting the advertising pretty good. I received a nice multi-page marketing piece advertising only the EV version of the Golf, as well as an offer for a $50 VISA card if I come test drive one. Not sure if I was targeted because they know I am an EV owner or if they really are that interested in marketing and selling the EV version. Either way, I plan to drive it this weekend.

Back