ZAP EV's

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thew

Dont forget about ZAP.. WE have owned a ZAP PK since 2008 and love it. I have a Review of the ZAP up here on our blog here: http://www.depoteco.com/2008-zap-xebra-pk-electric-truck-review/ for anyone that is interested.. While Nissan wants to say they are first at the production line EV Really Zap started the Production line in 2006. But in Nissan's defense a ZAP is Classed as a Motorcycle.. Ours does 50 mph and has about a 50 mile range.. And its a truck with a dump bed.

zap.gif

My wife saw a blue Xebra the other day and mentioned she wouldn't mind one for her 8 mile, round-trip, commute. If I could get one for a decent price I would probably pick it up.

DarkStar said:
My wife saw a blue Xebra the other day and mentioned she wouldn't mind one for her 8 mile, round-trip, commute. If I could get one for a decent price I would probably pick it up.

Grants Pass EV's or GPEV is right in your area.. http://www.gpev.us/
They sell used ones all the time.. Expect to pay aroun $8,000 or so for a used one.. WE will trade ours in for our LEAF, Or i would be happy to sell you ours.. We are moving son to Brookings :) ..

Let me know if you have any questions about the ZAP. WE love ours.. ITs perfect for the around town driving we all tend to do..

If you're interested in one at all, definitely talk to Grants Pass EV. Sean is a GREAT guy, very honest and knows his stuff. I bought my 2008 Xebra Hatchback (sedan, rather than the "truck" shown in the above pic) through him, and had him do some upgrades then ship it up to me here in Seattle (I didn't like the dealer up here).

It's definitely not for everyone, the build quality sucks, it doesn't have very much power, and it is not a safe vehicle (remember, motorcycle), but it's amazingly fun to drive! I commute in mine almost every day (the Leaf belongs to my wife, as she is continuously reminding me). You just have to know what you're getting into before you buy, or you'll be disappointed.

Thew, you can really get up to 50mph regularly? What upgrades have you done? I'm running 84v of Trojan floodies, and top out at 40mph on the flats. That's real mph, not the zap-mph. Also, I assume you're on the Xebra yahoo group? If not, check it out. Anyone interested in Xebras at all should be on the yahoo group. Good bunch of owners, and the moderators force conversations to be on topic. Lots of helpful information there.

have a guy Joe in Olympia who runs the www.pluginolympia.com website has one as well as a Miles as well as WA State based solar on his roof (WA State buys electricity from solar owners at the rate of 54 cents/kwh!)

so besides driving for free on both his EVs he gets money back

blorg said:
If you're interested in one at all, definitely talk to Grants Pass EV. Sean is a GREAT guy, very honest and knows his stuff. I bought my 2008 Xebra Hatchback (sedan, rather than the "truck" shown in the above pic) through him, and had him do some upgrades then ship it up to me here in Seattle (I didn't like the dealer up here).

It's definitely not for everyone, the build quality sucks, it doesn't have very much power, and it is not a safe vehicle (remember, motorcycle), but it's amazingly fun to drive! I commute in mine almost every day (the Leaf belongs to my wife, as she is continuously reminding me). You just have to know what you're getting into before you buy, or you'll be disappointed.

Thew, you can really get up to 50mph regularly? What upgrades have you done? I'm running 84v of Trojan floodies, and top out at 40mph on the flats. That's real mph, not the zap-mph. Also, I assume you're on the Xebra yahoo group? If not, check it out. Anyone interested in Xebras at all should be on the yahoo group. Good bunch of owners, and the moderators force conversations to be on topic. Lots of helpful information there.

Yes, and I have the 84 volt system to.. Extra Cell I Run the Discovery Batteries they work very well but..once one cell takes a hit they die fast.. But I also upgraded the Pack cables to 2/0 and that was the Holy @#@# moment.. The stock welding / battery cables on the ZAP are way to small.. So I did some testing and discovered that Over-sizing the cables allows the motor control to have max current.. Before the 2/0 cable I was pulling almost 400 amps up my hill and driveway!.. (talk abut heat) After the upgrade I can barely make it pull 180 amps..

So swap out those battery cables.. The Pacer group will make them for you to size and you will be very happy you did.. http://www.pacergroup.net/Categories17.aspx?Id=2%2f0_Battery_Cable_Assemblies

Other upgrades included the Smart Spark EQ's.. then swapped out for the power Cheq's .. Also I installed the Woodward spring kit for the rear, and the Pack Tracker to monitor the pack..
Like you said it is a bit goofy, and is classed at a motorcycle, so don't expect air bags or crash test.. But its much better than a NEV.. and up until now it was the only thing EV that you really could use.. Now with the LEAF, ZAP will need to get there act together.. I do love my dump bed.. I cannot put a tree and bags of dirt in the LEAF.. But ill get over it :)

Blorg tell me about your Trojans.. its time for me to replace on of my cells.. I don't think i can get the Discovery EV battery anymore.. Also I have had my ZAP PK Review up since day one, you can read if you like I posted a link above.. But no I have not heard of the yahoo group.. post a link here for us ill go join up. :)

Oh and Sean is a great guy at http://www.GPEV.us.. support them if you can they have been a big help to us..

PM sent, Thew. We can talk about the Trojans offline.

Here's the yahoo group for anyone interested: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Xebra_EV/

I've heard upgrading the cables could help quite a bit, I've been putting that off until I have more time. I didn't realize it would actually increase speed, though, that would spur me to do it sooner rather than later.

Back