Workplace charging policies

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adric22 said:
Nubo said:
I'm disinclined to ask for charging privileges since my commute is only about 15 miles each way; well within LEAF radius with plenty to spare for side trips and evening jaunts. Sure, I'd charge up with employer electrons if offered as a perk but I don't feel entitled to ask.

I'm in the same situation. I've briefly mentioned the idea of a charging station to the boss, when he was asking for ways the company could be more green. But I never pushed it because I live 4 miles from work and there is really just no need. Even if I forget to charge my car for a week, I can still make it to work and back with no problem. There have been a few times when I did some errands during lunch and came back with 50% charge. It would have been nice to be able to plug in, but still not necessary at all.

But, the way I see it. If I did get them to install a L2 charger then there are some other people at work who might consider going electric if they knew they could charge at work. As it is, all of the people I've talked to who are seriously interested in buying a Leaf are pretty much right at the edge of the comfort zone or worse. If there were an L2 at work, that would make a Leaf much more viable to them.

The difficulty here, as I see it, lies with making a purchase decision based on having a charge available at work. Even if it's there, it's problematic if it's not guaranteed. Say there are 2 spots so someone decides that will work and they buy a LEAF. Their commute is beyond the car's range so they need that charge to make it work. Things work fine until there are half a dozen EV owners now at the site. Get there early! And sure, some type of sharing protocol could be worked out. But there is a definite possibility for the demand exceeding supply. So a workplace charge is tricky if you absolutely need that charge to make the commute work.

If there are co-workers who complain of favoritism, or ask why they don't get free gas for their cars, my comeback has been that we'll give free gas for any car that doesn't pollute. The LEAF driver, at this stage of the game, is a leader toward a sane energy policy and should get special privileges.

That said, I favor the contribution to a coffee and donuts jar as another poster suggests since that tells the co-workers that you are paying for the energy, and that's it's an inconsequential sum.

Another consideration is to establish an efficiency program at your work and see how much energy you can save month to month. Gather the past years' kWh usage and measure how many kWh your efficiency program saves. The savings can then be converted into miles driven that offset gasoline use. The numbers can be eye opening. On a national scale, in 2010, our nation saved 112 TWH through various state efficiency programs. This works out to over 400 billion miles driven in a LEAF. That's approximately 13% of the 3 trillion total miles driven by Americans in that year. Think of it, we saved enough energy to displace a full 13% of all our driving needs in one year through efficiency! And we're still incredibly inefficient. Lots of low hanging fruit there.

It looks like I'm getting lucky. My employer (small company) would be happy to provide power but it isn't practical in our current business park. However, we are getting ready to move to a new (to us) building (actually, half of a building) with parking up against the building. They are requesting a 120V outlet be added to the outside of the building for me. I might have been able to get 240V (actually 208V) but I figured there might be liability concerns so I decided to just ask for 120V.

Also it depends on the placement of the EVSE. My work installed two in their parking lot (blink). I got a couple of comments from co-workers on how I am getting free "gas" and they should get free gas, etc. An easy response from this: these are PUBLIC chargers, anyone can use them. I am just a random person from the public whom happens to work nearby (i.e. across the parking lot :lol: ). Using that logic anyone, even someone working across the street could still park their leaf or volt there and charge all day without paying for it. Why should I be punished (pay) when anyone else from the public doesn't?

But if its in a garage or a place only accessible to workers...well...

As for my work, their evetual policy is using the blink system, any person who works for us will be free. Any visitors/elected officals that come for meetings, etc. can get a blink card from the front desk and charge for free. Any random person will get charged blink's charging cost. How that will be set up, I don't know, but for now its all just me charging!

Pipcecil said:
Also it depends on the placement of the EVSE. My work installed two in their parking lot (blink). I got a couple of comments from co-workers on how I am getting free "gas" and they should get free gas, etc. An easy response from this: these are PUBLIC chargers, anyone can use them. I am just a random person from the public whom happens to work nearby (i.e. across the parking lot :lol: ). Using that logic anyone, even someone working across the street could still park their leaf or volt there and charge all day without paying for it. Why should I be punished (pay) when anyone else from the public doesn't?

If there are co-workers who complain of favoritism, or ask why they don't get free gas for their cars, my comeback has been that we'll give free gas for any car that doesn't pollute. The LEAF driver, at this stage of the game, is a leader toward a sane energy policy and should get special privileges.

I work for the County of Los Angeles and found that facilities management was very un-helpful with the "like free gas" comments. My supervisor pointed me in the direction of the workforce programs clean air department and I found that government entities are required to enact measures to reduce air pollution or be fined (which the County has). That is why you see a lot of the sponsored Vanpools and we have to fill out ride-share surveys every year. Anyhow, they were glad to have me charge for free and they could use it as credit toward the County's responsibility. The CEO emailed Facility Management and over rode their opinion. My experience is that Green policies are a top down flow rather than the traditional work your way up the food chain proposition.

Cheers.

I may have the best story yet.

My employer wants to be known as a green company, and they regularly solicit ideas from the employees. I submitted one to put in L2 charging stations at work, and that qualified for a contest they're currently holding. If they go for my idea (which I think they will) and I continue to be leader in the category I'm in (no one else has even submitted any ideas in this category) I'll not only get free charging at work - I'll win $1,000 for requesting they provide that free charging for me.

THAT'S a win!

I'll reply if I win the contest, and I swear it won't be just to make some of you jealous. :D

myrtlebeachbums said:
I'll win $1,000 for requesting they provide that free charging for me.

THAT'S a win!

I'll reply if I win the contest, and I swear it won't be just to make some of you jealous. :D
Between charging at work and the reward, I assume that will give you 0 cents/mile travel for the next, oh, 6 years or so? Sweet! I'm too overwhelmed at saving $200/month that I don't have time to be jealous! Best of luck!

Back