Working perfectly and then nothing !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali O

HI all,
2018 Nissan Leaf. Working perfectly one day, plugged it into charge with about 30 miles remaining. Got into it today and it was totally unresponsive!! Sign on the dash said something about 'no power / service'. Went inside to look up the problem. Came back and now there is no warning message - there is nothing at all !! Its totally dead. Its plugged into the power socket on the wall and as there is no power, I can't release it so it can't be moved. We have another EV but can't use the charging cable because of the above !!! Nightmare. Any ideas would be gratefully received,

Al

Thank you so much. I'll do this first thing in the morning.
I love that you call this 'the easy stuff' ;-)

First check the easy stuff. Check the 12 volt battery under the hood. Take a reading right on the battery posts and also on the terminals. They should be the same, and over 12.0 volts. If not, you need to charge or replace the 12 volt battery.
Ditto about the 12 V battery. I'm no mechanic and I didn't even stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night, but if it's totally dead, wouldn't that mean the 12 V is dead because if it weren't, at least something like locks and lights would be still working?

The 12 volt battery in an electric car is critical. It's job is support for the electronics. It should always be at peak performance. When it weakens the first symptom tends to be crazy messages on the dash. For a 2018 Leaf it's probably time to replace it.

Cold weather arrives.
Every year many thousands of vehicles suffer a 12V battery failure.
They can fail 12 months out of the year, of course, but a sudden cold snap is the death nail for a weak one.

Was there any advance warning on the condition of the battery ?
The 12V lead acid type batteries in 2018 cars only last about 3 years anyway. You were driving on borrowed time if you got 5 years out of it. They fail suddenly.

[ I can't release it so it can't be moved. We have another EV but can't use the charging cable because of the above !!! Nightmare. Any ideas would be gratefully received,

[... Its plugged into the power socket on the wall and as there is no power, I can't release it so it can't be moved. We have another EV but can't use the charging cable because of the above !!! Nightmare. Any ideas would be gratefully received...]
I found this in the manual:

If the charge connector cannot be
unlocked
1. Place power switch in the OFF position.
2. Open the hood.
3. Insert a flat head screwdriver or suitable
tool into the screw that is located on the
front of the hood lock.
4. Turn it clockwise to release the charge
connector lock.
5. Remove the charge connector.

I'm glad you asked. Now *I* know, too.

We bought our 2014 S a year ago. On the 2nd day of ownership, my wife was heading out and said the car wouldn't move. Every warning light on the dash seemed to be illuminated. After jumping it, I looked closer at the battery. It was oem and maybe original. A new 12v battery fixed everything. Called the dealer and they were "completely surprised" that it was bad. I asked if they knew it was bad and they said "no, of course not". Silly me for even suggesting they would sell a car with a bad 12v battery. Silver lining was it needed replacement due to age anyway so think of this more as maintenance than repair.

Most people with an internal combustion engine know when the engine will not crank, their battery is in trouble. An electric puts a much smaller load on the battery, so it gives less of a warning that it is about to fail. So in short, it works until it doesn't, with little to no warning of impending failure.
A volt meter or even a test light can be helpful when trouble strikes.

Back