windshield susceptible to cracks, Ecopia tires bald?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetesta

My commute is on a freeway with a lot of trucks. Lately I've been having a ton of problems with rocks hitting my windshield, more than I've ever had in 30 years of driving, and I now have to wonder if the Leaf's aerodynamics make it susceptible to windshield impacts (from rocks) and cracks?

Since September I've had 4 or 5 small cracks repaired, and now I have a large crack that will require replacement of the whole windshield, which will cost $500 out of pocket on my insurance. This is getting ridiculous.

My car has about 35000 miles on it and the 2 remaining original ecopia tires are pretty much bald. I noticed in the lease terms I need to replace with "comparable quality" as the original. The shop put on these "Capitol" tires, am I going to get dinged on the lease terms if I turn it in with 4 of these Capitols (which incidentally seem to be holding up much longer than the Ecopias)?

I haven't felt that the LEAF is more susceptible to rocks on the windshield. Mine will be 4 years old in January. I tend to keep a bit of distance behind trucks for that reason, and have had no problems.

As far as tires, I've had better luck with the Ecopias by keeping them inflated up to 44 or 45 pounds. This seems to help reduce the outer tread wear that is common on the front...I replaced my OEM tires at 25,000 miles with more Ecopias and had them rotated at 31,000 miles. They seem to be doing okay...

$500 deductable? Thought glass is usually $0 ded. Mine is.

Had a rock do that on the '12, bulls-eye with spider cracks, fixed it with a $10 kit from an auto parts store. Looked brand new.

The '15 got one too, but more like a chip in the glass, smaller cracks. The kit filled the cracks, but I can still see the chip a little. Not getting any worse anyway. Maybe I'll take it to a glass place.

Not sure about the tires, but I think as long as all four match you should be OK.

My car has about 35000 miles on it and the 2 remaining original Ecopia tires are pretty much bald

If you got 35,000 miles on any original Ecopias then you are a tire whisperer.
These things are more like 7500 mile tires.

And regarding the Leaf being mystically attractive to flying stones.... I feel your pain.

windshield2.jpg

When it comes time to turn it in craigslist is your friend, find out what the minimum tread is for the tires and find a used set. As long as they are all season, 4 matching, name brand (and LRR if the dealer pays attention) they should be good to go. Of coarse you want to ask them first, and get it in writing if the tires don't need to be replaced for the turn in.

Are you seeing a range hit with the new tires?

Yeah, the glass is fragile.

I had a bicyclist hit the back of my car (while I was stationary), his head and shoulders went clear through the rear window. Couldn't be patched. :lol:

The bike guy escaped with a couple minor cuts, but the entire rear hatch was bent in and needed to be replaced.

If a rock is thrown by truck tires, it is a matter of luck whether it hits the windshield or not. Nothing about aerodynamics of the car can change this.

NeilBlanchard said:
If a rock is thrown by truck tires, it is a matter of luck whether it hits the windshield or not. Nothing about aerodynamics of the car can change this.

considering the majority of the impacts were towards the bottom of the window (whereas in my past experience they tend to be more in the middle, or all over) I was wondering if the rocks could be skipping off the upper flat part of the hood onto the window.

There's been construction on the freeway and there are always a ton of trucks, sometimes there's just no way to keep a distance from all of them.

Got my new windshield today, hope it lasts 8 months til the end of my lease!

minispeed said:
Are you seeing a range hit with the new tires?

Now that you mention it, probably. I added them one at a time because the first was to replace a flat, so it was gradual but I'm definitely getting less range and the battery still charges to 12.

KillaWhat said:
My car has about 35000 miles on it and the 2 remaining original Ecopia tires are pretty much bald

If you got 35,000 miles on any original Ecopias then you are a tire whisperer.
These things are more like 7500 mile tires.
:lol: the rain storms were fun this week, odometer says 34,900
1s3f1tA.jpg

yeah i'm way overdue for some new ones, but i figure the longer i wait the better chance of lasting til the end of my lease. But do I get 2 more capitols (and would they hurt the range that much more?!)? I wonder if these will have the minimum 1/8 required by the lease and if not i should maybe get new ecopias?
Ghh1NKq.jpg

Randy said:
I've had better luck with the Ecopias by keeping them inflated up to 44 or 45 pounds. This seems to help reduce the outer tread wear that is common on the front...

Thanks for the tip Randy, I will definitely try that with the new ones!

Back