Windshield damage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pezzie

Last week a very drunk man threw beer at my car (I was sitting in my parked car in broad daylight in a small strip mall, minding my own business; really!) He then threw the beer glass at my windshield. The glass skipped along my windshield, hit the ground and smashed. The drunk man ran away. I filed a police report and called my insurance. I had to take my car to an automated car wash to get all the beer off (first time at an automated car wash, not happy about that.) The windshield is scuffed in three places, right in the middle, of course!

I brought my car to my local Nissan dealer and met with their window repair and replacement gentleman. He said he could try to buff the window and reduce the scuff marks, but it won't be perfect. The insurance company will pay for the windshield to be replaced with an original Nissan Leaf windshield.

Has anyone had to have their windshield replaced yet?

PEZZIE
Ocean Blue 2011 SV
November 21 2011

I have had my windshield replaced. My insurance company had to special order the windshield through Nissan. Took about a week. Looks fine, no worries.

Regards,
Brett

I had my windshield replaced today at Speedy Glass in Portland, OR through an apparent contract process that State Farm is a party to. I had a choice of them coming out to me or me bringing the Leaf in to their shop on SE Division Street. I chose the shop as I believed it would be out of the weather and have all they needed to do the best job if there were any problems. As it was, Chris the technician said this was his first Leaf and in his words was surprisingly "simple." The cost was $525 before my deductible. The glass was Plinkington Solar laminated Mexican origin. It replacement came with a lifetime free rock chip repair warranty. The bordering and patterning seemed equivalent to the Nissan branded glass it replaced.

This was about the 4th or 5th solid rock hit in the year plus that I've had the car. The first to cause damage. I hope the new glass stands up as well.

The windshield was damaged Friday on Highway 14 headed towards Hood River and The Dalles. I called in Saturday and it was a done deal today - Monday afternoon.

I had the windshield replaced on my 2012 Leaf. It was replaced in my driveway with Plinkington glass. It turned out well. At first I thought there was a couple of flaws but it turned out to be glue residue from the mirror. After cleaning that off it was perfect. I paid an installer I found through Google $400.

Plinkington is on all 2013 Leafs now. 2011-2012 came with Nissan Nismo glass. I dont think you will notice on the front window, but I can notice a slight shade difference when replacing the side windows.

I had to have the glass replaced on my 2011 about a year ago due to a rock chip that hit the very bottom of the glass under the wiper blades, but caused a crack that travelled half way up the glass right in front of the driver.

So it was an easy Turnover? :D

Turnover said:
I had my windshield replaced today at Speedy Glass in Portland, OR through an apparent contract process that State Farm is a party to. I had a choice of them coming out to me or me bringing the Leaf in to their shop on SE Division Street. I chose the shop as I believed it would be out of the weather and have all they needed to do the best job if there were any problems. As it was, Chris the technician said this was his first Leaf and in his words was surprisingly "simple." The cost was $525 before my deductible. The glass was Plinkington Solar laminated Mexican origin. It replacement came with a lifetime free rock chip repair warranty. The bordering and patterning seemed equivalent to the Nissan branded glass it replaced.

This was about the 4th or 5th solid rock hit in the year plus that I've had the car. The first to cause damage. I hope the new glass stands up as well.

The windshield was damaged Friday on Highway 14 headed towards Hood River and The Dalles. I called in Saturday and it was a done deal today - Monday afternoon.

adric22 said:
I had to have the glass replaced on my 2011 about a year ago due to a rock chip that hit the very bottom of the glass under the wiper blades, but caused a crack that travelled half way up the glass right in front of the driver.

Exact same spot and result though I got to it before the crack got that far. Interesting ...

I just got a chip in my windshield (about 7-8mm) fixed yesterday. Mercury insurance pointed me to all-star glass which charged $69. The mark is about 80% gone now but more importantly, hopefully now it won't spread.

Back