Will Nissan retrofit the 3.3 charger to 6.6

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leafme said:
EVDRIVER said:
Based on that comment that means NO for exiting cars and it will be standard on all future cars.

I was in the conversation with Randy, Mark and sdbonez. I was the one who asked Mark that question. Mark said, "Yes" when I asked him if I can purchase the upgrade in the future. I also asked if the heated seats and steering wheel upgrade was possible? He said, "No."

Malcolm :geek:

Nice. Nissan has my money when they announce that retrofit. It better be a retrofit - I'm not buying another car.

mogur said:
Nope. The way I will use the car it would add nothing of value for me.

smkettner said:
Am I the only one that is just fine with 3.3Kw charger?

Same here.. I very much doubt that I would ever drive 80 miles someplace, sit and watch a movie while the car charges, and then come back home. Even in a full day of running errands to the mall, grocery store, movie theater, family, etc., I could only ever see myself driving 60 miles in one stint. The one place where I could use a charge would be for the run out of town to see the nieces & nephew (90 miles round trip) or over to my dad's place (110 miles round trip). In both of these cases, a 5 minute quickie on a DC Fast Charger would serve me much better than 15 minutes at a Starbucks/McDonalds on a 6.6kW. And just my luck, here in Washington atleast, they're proposing DC fast chargers in all of the places I would need one.

Now for people who have time-of-day rate difference, I can perhaps understand a 6.6kW charger, but so far that is not the case with Seattle City Light nor Puget Sound Energy.

TLeaf said:
mogur said:

smkettner said:

Same here.. I very much doubt that I would ever drive 80 miles someplace, sit and watch a movie while the car charges, and then come back home.
Here in Philidelphia, the metro area stretches quite a ways to the northeast and the southwest. I can definitely see times when grabbing kWh 2X as fast when destination charging would be useful to ensure that I could make the return trip without anxiety.

TLeaf said:
mogur said:

smkettner said:

Same here.. I very much doubt that I would ever drive 80 miles someplace, sit and watch a movie while the car charges, and then come back home. Even in a full day of running errands to the mall, grocery store, movie theater, family, etc., I could only ever see myself driving 60 miles in one stint. The one place where I could use a charge would be for the run out of town to see the nieces & nephew (90 miles round trip) or over to my dad's place (110 miles round trip). In both of these cases, a 5 minute quickie on a DC Fast Charger would serve me much better than 15 minutes at a Starbucks/McDonalds on a 6.6kW. And just my luck, here in Washington atleast, they're proposing DC fast chargers in all of the places I would need one.

Now for people who have time-of-day rate difference, I can perhaps understand a 6.6kW charger, but so far that is not the case with Seattle City Light nor Puget Sound Energy.

Changing a charger is not a big deal, don't expect it to be affordable though through Nissan.

So on the 13th of January (just five days ago) I was in the Nissan Chat room asking about charging rates and I was sent this response:

Hillary:
While we cannot speak to the Focus model, we are constantly trying to improve our vehicle's and customer satisfaction. The 2011 model year specifics for the LEAF have been determined. Depending on the charge power used, the LEAF will utilize the following charging scenarios:
Level 2 (low) Charging uses 220 V -15A, The Charge Power is 3.3kW and will charge in about 8 hours.
Level 2 (high) Charging uses 220 V - 30A, The Charge Power is 6.6kW and will charge in about 4 hours.
Level 3 Charging uses 480V - 167A, The Charge Power is 70 - 50 kW and will charge in 20 -50 minutes.

Hillary:
The home charging dock will use the 6.6 kW of power.

If I buy my Leaf and bring it home and it is not capable of Level 2 (high) charging, can I sue Nissan for false advertising? Better yet, can we put together a class action suite and all get upgraded to bigger chargers as a result. Seems if they keep sending out false information, sooner or later it has to bite them.

kahlepj said:
So on the 13th of January (just five days ago) I was in the Nissan Chat room asking about charging rates and I was sent this response:

Hillary:
While we cannot speak to the Focus model, we are constantly trying to improve our vehicle's and customer satisfaction. The 2011 model year specifics for the LEAF have been determined. Depending on the charge power used, the LEAF will utilize the following charging scenarios:
Level 2 (low) Charging uses 220 V -15A, The Charge Power is 3.3kW and will charge in about 8 hours.
Level 2 (high) Charging uses 220 V - 30A, The Charge Power is 6.6kW and will charge in about 4 hours.
Level 3 Charging uses 480V - 167A, The Charge Power is 70 - 50 kW and will charge in 20 -50 minutes.

Hillary:

If I buy my Leaf and bring it home and it is not capable of Level 2 (high) charging, can I sue Nissan for false advertising? Better yet, can we put together a class action suite and all get upgraded to bigger chargers as a result. Seems if they keep sending out false information, sooner or later it has to bite them.
Must have meant 2012 or 2013 model year (Smyrna, TN production)?

KeiJidosha said:
kahlepj said:

Hillary:

Hillary:

Must have meant 2012 or 2013 model year (Smyrna, TN production)?

I saw the same thing posted a long time ago about the first gen models.

pointless to consider anything that comes from a chat or ev call at nissan

I have no faith whatsover in anything they say

they are reading from a 2 year old script

worthless

might as well be in some far off call center in another country and barely speak english

The EVSE (what most people think of as the charger) can be L2 3.3kw or L2 6.6 kw but the current model Leaf will only suck it up at the 3.3kw (or 3.7kw as I just measured) rate.

These numbers keep being coming back but doing the math they are incorrect. An EVSE can deliver up to 80% of the circuit it is on so...

Breaker rating - Continuous current - Max kW
20A - 16A - 3.8kW
30A - 24A - 5.6kW
40A - 32A - 7.7kW

Now i believe I read somewhere that most EVSEs are limited to a maximum of 30A because of the J1772 connector they use is only UL listed up to 30A. That would mean the AV EVSE should still be able to deliver 7.2kW.

If you have a look at the following, Clipper Creek sells EVSEs from 24A all the way up to 80A. Nissan should one-up Ford and offer the 2012 Leaf with a 7.2kW charger or more. By the way, all Tesla's have a charger capable of pulling 70A (16.8kW).

http://www.webstarstudios.com/test_.../CS_Series_Public_EVSE_-_Sell_Sheet_Proof.pdf

Right, current times voltage.

The "nominal" 3.3 kW power description (like 220v x 15 amps = 3300 watts) is more a description of "typical" operation, not a max or min spec, something like the EPA 76 mile range.

I often have 244v here, but some people might have only 220 (or even less), particularly when local "loading" is high.

Here is a link that may help your understanding of Nissan's plans.
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/03/07/report-nissan-to-equip-leaf-with-uprated-onboard-charger-in-201/

Back