Will Headlights draw too much power if left on all the time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemrut

...while driving. On my Prius, I always had the headlights on during the day while driving. It seems like a good safety measure to increase visibility for other drivers. However, I'm concerned about doing the same thing with the Leaf as every 'ounce' energy that can be squeezed out is important as I commute regularly on freeways and drive up a lot of hills going home.

Good question. I intend to leave mine on, as I do on my ICE. I'd think the draw
would be low as they are LED. Perhaps someone who has their LEAF can tell us?

The headlights run off the 12v system so it shouldn't be an issue, especially if you have the SL trim level with solar collector. I've done a fair amount of driving at night and I don't really notice any reduced range.

Each LED headlight draws 10 watts. The four incandescent lights (2 license, 2 parking) draw 5 watts each. If you replace the 4 incandescents with LEDs, you can drop it to a total of about 22 watts.

By the way, the solar panel puts out about 5 watts so it doesn't really make any practical difference...

nemrut said:
...while driving. On my Prius, I always had the headlights on during the day while driving. It seems like a good safety measure to increase visibility for other drivers. However, I'm concerned about doing the same thing with the Leaf as every 'ounce' energy that can be squeezed out is important as I commute regularly on freeways and drive up a lot of hills going home.

nemrut said:
...while driving. On my Prius, I always had the headlights on during the day while driving. It seems like a good safety measure to increase visibility for other drivers. However, I'm concerned about doing the same thing with the Leaf as every 'ounce' energy...

Ya, what he said ^^^^^

25 watts with the LED low beams. I wouldn't recommend the incandenscent high beams, which will use much more.

Four hours would equal 100 watts, or one tenth of one kilowatt, of the 24 kilowatt hour battery.

I think you'll be fine.

Random thing - I noticed when I flash the high beams it seems the low beams still stay on.
I recall other cars that I had switch from low beams to high beams, not leaving both on at the same time.

My Volvo XC70 has only one HID Bulb for high or low beam (sic). The reflector pivots when a different beam is desired.

Even the Swede's can get a bit tricky!

For those who want to leave the headlights on all the time, is there a way to have them automatically turn off on power-down? It's annoying to open the door and hear the "you forgot to turn off your headlights, dummy" alarm every time.

Do any of you know if there is a post here on the forum which has a concise list of what electric circuits are on the main battery? I would like to know what we are able to control in an effort to extend the range of the vehicle vs what is powered by the small 12 volt battery.

I would also be interested in knowing what CarWings is using as the "Electricity Consumed by Accessories". is this all vehicle accessories or only the ones that are on the main battery or only those that are on the small battery. Just wondering....what others may have found on this subject.

Thanks!

Corey

The AC system is fed with BOTH high voltage (compressor motor) and low voltage (controls).

=Smidge=

Since all the power for everything in the car ultimately comes from the main pack, it really makes no difference what it's feed source is...

CJF said:
Do any of you know if there is a post here on the forum which has a concise list of what electric circuits are on the main battery? I would like to know what we are able to control in an effort to extend the range of the vehicle vs what is powered by the small 12 volt battery.

TomT said:
Since all the power for everything in the car ultimately comes from the main pack, it really makes no difference what it's feed source is...

CJF said:

Hello Tom,

Are you saying that the main battery pack is charging the small battery during vehicle operation? I did not know that.

Thanks!

BLUEH20 said:
My Volvo XC70 has only one HID Bulb for high or low beam (sic). The reflector pivots when a different beam is desired.

Even the Swede's can get a bit tricky!

Check out the BMW headlight:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1pDehH5-g[/youtube]

garygid said:
All the electronics are on the 12v system.
Only the motor (via the inverter), the heater, and the DC-to-DC converter are on the HV battery.
(I think.)

Hi Gary,

I was just wondering if anyone had access to or seen some type of a listing of the electrical users on the vehicle. I guess the list that I am thinking about would actually have 3 different columns. Those items that run only on the HV battery, only those items run from the LV battery and those items that use both.

My desire as an operator of the vehicle is to understand what I can control in the vehicle to extend range. I know that some of the more important things are speed, route (up/down hills), rate of acceleration and use of regen during braking. But beyond these if we look into the cabin for help in range extension I know that heating and A/C are big electric users but beyond these two I would like to know what else I can control to extend range. My curiosity stems in part from our low rankings in CarWings in this category. I can understand it when we are using the AC like we have this past week with 100+ degree days but we were still ranked low when we were not using the AC.

Thanks,

Corey

CJF said:
garygid said:
Only the motor (via the inverter), the heater, and the DC-to-DC converter are on the HV battery.
(I think.)

Hi Gary,

I was just wondering if anyone had access to or seen some type of a listing of the electrical users on the vehicle. I guess the list that I am thinking about would actually have 3 different columns. Those items that run only on the HV battery, only those items run from the LV battery and those items that use both.

My desire as an operator of the vehicle is to understand what I can control in the vehicle to extend range. I know that some of the more important things are speed, route (up/down hills), rate of acceleration and use of regen during braking. But beyond these if we look into the cabin for help in range extension I know that heating and A/C are big electric users but beyond these two I would like to know what else I can control to extend range. My curiosity stems in part from our low rankings in CarWings in this category. I can understand it when we are using the AC like we have this past week with 100+ degree days but we were still ranked low when we were not using the AC.

Thanks,

Corey

If you are looking to impact range the only items you have control over that will make any useful impact are the AC and Heat. The headlights and other switchable electronics are insignificant. Having any comparison on HV vs 12V sources will not help you make power saving decisions. People that are turing off the lights in a attempt to extend range are simply wasting their time. If you live in a city with mild temperatures like SF using the AC has only a couple mile impact on range on low. Concentrate on driving technique, it will help you much more.

EVDRIVER said:
CJF said:
garygid said:
(I think.)

Hi Gary,

Thanks,

Corey

If you are looking to impact range the only items you have control over that will make any useful impact are the AC and Heat. The headlights and other switchable electronics are insignificant. Having any comparison on HV vs 12V sources will not help you make power saving decisions. People that are turing off the lights in a attempt to extend range are simply wasting their time. If you live in a city with mild temperatures like SF using the AC has only a couple mile impact on range on low. Concentrate on driving technique, it will help you much more.

Thanks for the help. I kind of thought that might be the case but with all the comments about the electric users effecting range I thought that someone else may be on to something.

Back