Will a leaf work for me in Phoenix ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coorsleftfield

My story, VW is buying back my TDI and I'm considering a used Leaf for my commute.

I've done some research and it looks like a 2013+ with the 6.6kw charger is the one to get ..

My commute to work is 25 miles, all freeway. In AZ we get an HOV plate with electric cars, so picking up a leaf is tempting.

My concern is will a leaf be able to do a 50 mile round trip commute at all freeway speeds (68 MPH) without having to charge at work? We don't have any EV chargers at the office, so it's important that this this car can do the 50 mile RT without plugging in anywhere.

Is this easily do-able , or is this distance on the edge?

I would say for a '13 with all bars it should be no problem. I have a '13S full bars and easily get 70 miles in the summer, can be closer to 60 in the winter and even down to 40-50 in sub zero temps with heater use, but living in AZ I can't see that would be a problem.
A '13SV or SL will have the more efficient heat pump heater so your range would be less effected in all but extreme cold temps. My '13S has the less efficient electric heater but I still easily make a somewhat regular 60 mile RT trip, again in all but extreme cold(10F or colder) temps and on those cold days I have access to either a 120v outlet or 208v outlet and after several hours I'd be able to make it home.

Find one you like, take it for an extended test drive and see how much range you have left from full on your round trip. There are plenty of charging opportunities in Phoenix to top up if it does not make the trip (see plugshare). A 2013 in the hot AZ environment will eventually degrade to the point that you would need to charge twice a day for your commute but that might be a long time.

I bought my 2015 SV in May 2016 with 428 miles on it and it is now over 9100 miles. My Leaf works well for my 54 mile round trip. If you get a Leaf, you will need 240V charging at home to be able to just charge at home. The L1 charger that comes with the car will take more time than you have overnight to charge after your commute.

coorsleftfield said:
My commute to work is 25 miles, all freeway. In AZ... My concern is will a leaf be able to do a 50 mile round trip commute at all freeway speeds (68 MPH) without having to charge at work?

As the car ages, you are on the edge or past it, especially with freeway speed commute.

At 70 MPH, with a new battery (Tony's range chart) expect 58 miles before LBW or low battery warning. No sweat.
At 70 MPH, just before one bar lost, expect 53 miles before LBW. Still fine.
At 70 MPH, just before second bar lost, will get LBW 6 miles before arriving home. Getting scary.
At 70 MPH, just before third bar lost, will home close to turtle. Scary.
At 70 MPH, just before fourth bar lost, will not get home.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=4295

Workplace charging will become a requirement. Or perhaps get a new or used 30kWh Leaf (2016 SV or SL). Or perhaps wait for a new or used Bolt.

coorsleftfield said:
... We don't have any EV chargers at the office, ...
Is 120 volt charging an option at work? There was a battery change on the 2013s. Ones that were bought early in the year, April or earlier may or may not be less resistant to heat loss.

I can verify that a used Leaf will comfortably do a 50 mile round trip commute in the Phoenix area, that is my current commute. I drive on I-10 and Loop 202. I have no workplace charging, and no convenient L2 charging nearby. Approximately 80% freeway driving, all with carpool lanes.

However, I was doing this commute for a while with 4 Bars down, and it wasn't comfortable. I could only make the distance if I kept below 60 miles an hour on the highways, so I would stay out of the carpool lane in that case, unless I could safely keep my speed below 60.

The positive side is that there are several QuickChargers in the area, particularly in the East Valley. I highly recommend you find one with a QuickCharge port, it will be useful in the Phoenix area. For instance, Autonation Nissan Tempe is right off of Elliot and I-10, and I would stop there daily until my battery was replaced.

There was a battery change on the 2013s. Ones that were bought early in the year, April or earlier may or may not be less resistant to heat loss.

Yes, an early (Jan - March) 2013 build would be a very bad idea. A later 2013 might work, but I suggest either a 2014 built after September (?) 2014, or a 2015. You can't afford to lose much capacity to heat-related degradation.

LeftieBiker said:
I suggest either a 2014 built after September (?) 2014, or a 2015. You can't afford to lose much capacity to heat-related degradation.

+1. I'd go with and 2014 model.

Not sure what OP's timeline is, but my lease would be over in less than months and I'd be happy to sell it at the residual minus the NMAC incentive offered at that time. (I am in Phoenix)

phxsmiley said:
I can verify that a used Leaf will comfortably do a 50 mile round trip commute in the Phoenix area, that is my current commute. I drive on I-10 and Loop 202. I have no workplace charging, and no convenient L2 charging nearby. Approximately 80% freeway driving, all with carpool lanes.

However, I was doing this commute for a while with 4 Bars down, and it wasn't comfortable. I could only make the distance if I kept below 60 miles an hour on the highways, so I would stay out of the carpool lane in that case, unless I could safely keep my speed below 60.

The positive side is that there are several QuickChargers in the area, particularly in the East Valley. I highly recommend you find one with a QuickCharge port, it will be useful in the Phoenix area. For instance, Autonation Nissan Tempe is right off of Elliot and I-10, and I would stop there daily until my battery was replaced.

+1
My commute is 26 miles each way mostly freeway carpool lanes (101, I-17, and I-10) including about 5 miles of surface/neighborhood streets for round trip total of 52 miles. When the original battery in the 2011 was down to 8 bars, there was almost nothing left when I got home with A/C use. I was glad Nissan replaced the battery in the fall because I would have needed to stop to charge with cooler "winter" temperatures. If you can afford new, get a 2016 SV or SL with 30 kWh battery and you will have no worries for a long time. In case it is not obvious, you will need 240-volt charging at home to fully charge the battery overnight. Off-peak residential utility rates make it inexpensive to charge at night.

Gerry

The answer as some have indicated is yes it will be OK for a while but as the battery degrades then it won't do unless your employer takes advantage of the incentives to have a charging station or two installed in the workplace. How many years that takes depends on if you charge and park under a carport or out in the direct sun and how you use the car.

My round trip is 22 miles and I can make it almost a whole week on one charge at work on Monday and another at work on Friday however as the battery degrades I know that I will be likely charging at least every other day and eventually daily. I have a 2014 S with the newer style 24 kWh battery that came with the car which is still at 12 bars at 17,000 miles now.

Thanks for all the great information.. Summary, sounds like it's do-able, but get a 2014+ model.

I was planning on joining the very long Tesla 3 pre-order list, so leasing a new Leaf may be an option. I'm usually dead-set against leasing cars, but in the case of an EV, it may make more sense. I want the dang AZ carpool lane plate more than anything :) Lease of a bolt is another option.

If you want a "bridge" lease to get you to a Tesla, a 2016 SV or SL is what you want. They are on clearance now, and have a 107 mile range, instead of the 83 or so miles (when new) for an Earlier leaf. An SV with no Premium Package should be about $300 a month with little or nothing down.

LeftieBiker said:
If you want a "bridge" lease to get you to a Tesla, a 2016 SV or SL is what you want. They are on clearance now, and have a 107 mile range, instead of the 83 or so miles (when new) for an Earlier leaf. An SV with no Premium Package should be about $300 a month with little or nothing down.

I passed on a new 2016 SV at $244 per month with a 3 year lease at $2,000 down. Paid cash for a low mileage former lease vehicle instead. It depends a lot on your local market. Here we are close enough to the OffLease.com Hub in Orlando to have it lower our local car prices which helps since we don't get as many local subsidies as say the folks in Colorado.

Since I purchased my 2014 I have been getting call backs from dealers offering new 2016 Leaf SV at below the $244 offering that I turned down so walking away saying the price is still too high can work out if your in no hurry.

Back