why water cooling?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edy

hi all:
I could not find an answer anywhere, someone on the forum can help me with this question.
besides the charger, AC and heating.
what else the water cooling system serves?
another question:
Tesla has a Radiator too?
i ask because hi end EV conversions are air cooled.
and most of them has the same Range, Acceleration and speed like a Leaf

Regards
Edy

It cools the waste heat from the inverter, motor, and the charger. Not all EV conversions are air cooled and water cooling is superior and allows units to be placed where a loud fan or space does not permit.

Edy said:

Active cooling (whether air or liquid) also prolongs battery life in warm and especially hot conditions. The Leaf does not have active cooling for the battery, and so in very warm climates the battery loses capacity and thus loses range. Acceleration and top speed should not be affected.

RonDawg said:
Edy said:

Active cooling (whether air or liquid) also prolongs battery life in warm and especially hot conditions. The Leaf does not have active cooling for the battery, and so in very warm climates the battery loses capacity and thus loses range. Acceleration and top speed should not be affected.
i got it, and thanks for the informative answers.
now knowing all this.
i wonder why Nissan put such a complex cooling system with two fans and a big radiator, includes all hoses and 3 water containers.
why don't take advantage and use the system to cool down the traction battery?

Cost is most definitely a reason. Another possible reason is that supposedly the battery starts to degrade at a pretty reasonable temperature, like 75 F. That would mean the fan would be on all of the time except in winter, or if you live somewhere like Seattle, which would drain the 12 volt battery which in turn would drain the traction battery (unless it's plugged in).

water removes and transport heat apx 800 times more efficeintly then air, this means very small heat exchangers on the electronics and excellent heat removal for the motor, and it allows us to use a much larger heat rejecting system (The radiator) to put that heat into the air the most efficiently.

Water cooling can NOT go below ambient, and aside from a infenintly large radiator often will never even make ambeint temps. so it would not cool the battery any more then it is all ready, ie it would meerly keep it a couple degrees above what ever the out side air is at.

Water cooling is cheaper in a complex system, it has less parts to fail then air bases systems, you do not lose valuable space as you do in an air cooled set up, the inverter can handle much higher power densities and surges then it could with air cooled.

liquid cooling is simply superior in every respect to air cooling (I run all my power gear via liquid cooling) and it allows you to move the heat to where it is the most effient at geting rid of it or recycling it.

Back