Why So Many Critics After 17,000 EV Sales in First Year?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya, its the same-o same-o, people who have nothing better to whine about crying the blues. the Post Article is thinly disguised paid advertising.

the US gas prices for 2011 set a record for highest average price despite only briefly hitting the $4 mark. problem is; prices stayed in the mid 3's nearly all year only diving during Dec to its current low 3's.

this reduced consumption and a huge part of that is the # of hybrids being sold. now granted, the number is still a relative drop in the bucket and many can argue that other than the Prius, the others have failed to become mainstream, but several models have the potential to be a lot more popular but have failed to receive the support from the manufacturers like Ford for example.

but i see 2011 as the year EVs come back, but it will be 2012 or maybe 2013 that will be the year that entries into the market either prosper or fail. by the end of the year, we will have over a dozen plug in options to mull over and nationwide distribution of most of them. then we can revisit this question

DaveinOlyWA said:
this reduced consumption and a huge part of that is the # of hybrids being sold. now granted, the number is still a relative drop in the bucket and many can argue that other than the Prius, the others have failed to become mainstream, but several models have the potential to be a lot more popular but have failed to receive the support from the manufacturers like Ford for example.
While hybrids don't presently make up a large % of the US fleet, I wonder what their % of total vehicle miles driven is. For example, I wouldn't have thought our LEAF would have become our primary car. But now it's accountling for over 90% of our miles driven.

ENIAC said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
While hybrids don't presently make up a large % of the US fleet, I wonder what their % of total vehicle miles driven is. For example, I wouldn't have thought our LEAF would have become our primary car. But now it's accountling for over 90% of our miles driven.

Toyota advertised hitting 100 million miles driven with the Prius last Summer (or fall, or maybe Spring?) other hybrids would add to the total

as far as our mix of driving. the Leaf now does nearly 100% of the family driving. now the Prius does the 64 mile commute and the Leaf does the 12 mile commute so drive mix now is 60-40 Prius, but during Summer when range anxiety was not an issue (its really not now either but...) it was 55-45 Leaf.

i plan to ultilize the Leaf more by forcing SO to take it more often (they are both my cars so i will just take the Prius) but soon there will be a QC in Centrailia where she works so if she has concerns she can hope over for a 10 minute boost on her way home

The five worst selling vehicles for 2011 were:

5. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Units Sold: 1,662

4. Acura ZDX
Units Sold: 1,564

3. Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback
Units Sold: 1,548

2. Hyundai Azera
Units Sold: 1,524

1. Acura RL
Units Sold: 1,096

Funny how you don't have critics calling these failures.
And funny how the Leaf alone outsold all of them combined! I tend to view what Nissan accomplished in 2011 as phenomenal.

the article is nothing but spin...so lets spin it the other way

http://www.torquenews.com/1075/strong-sales-2011-leaf-and-volt-shows-bright-promise-rather-dismal-flop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back