Why EV Charging Companies Need Notification Systems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottf200

Why EV Charging Companies Need Notification Systems
By Remy Tennant · January 16, 2013
http://www.plugincars.com/why-ev-charging-companies-need-notification-systems-126133.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As PluginCars.com has reported, the Blink EV charging network (operated by Ecotality) has a checkered history when it comes to quality. I learned this the hard way last April, when I was stranded in my LEAF at a broken Blink Quick Charger in Belmont, Calif. So now, I always not only check the Blink Network map, but also call them, when I'm planning a trip that relies on one of their chargers—especially if it’s a Quick Charger.

Such was the case last Thursday morning when I had to commute from Berkeley to Sunnyvale—a 45 mile one-way trip that I make several times a month.
<snip>

The point I don't understand is why he didn't just go to one of the other 7 Redwood City L2 chargers which were less then a mile away. Looks like he easily had 5-10 miles of range left. He probably could have made it to Belmont (4 miles).

Blink reliability & customer service stinks, but there are a lot of charging alternatives now in this part of the Bay Area.

Also - PlugShare is your friend and is usually more accurate than Blink's status.

EV trip planning, for right now, is similar to IFR flight planning, in that you need to have an "alternate". You need to have enough juice to make it to your to your destination and then to your alternate...

Back