Why does the last circle on recharge have only one not two?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzd

5AFEEC54-6F8C-4076-976C-F31D340EB9A7-2653-0000025D8CD9B569.jpg

Why is there only one circle on the left sometimes and others there are two concentric circles? What does this signify?

dzd said:
Why is there only one circle on the left sometimes and others there are two concentric circles? What does this signify?
troubleshootmnl

In this case, slightly limited regenerative breaking capability, most likely due to a cold battery. At 80% charge, where your Leaf appears to be at currently, we would typically expect full regen to be available.

Conversely, if you run the battery down very low the double-circles will start disappearing on the right side, meaning your drive power is limited. Single-circle means "this power level is unavailable".

dzd said:
5AFEEC54-6F8C-4076-976C-F31D340EB9A7-2653-0000025D8CD9B569.jpg

Limited regen braking available or power to the traction motor is reduced. Please see Owners' Manual, pp2-7/8:

When power or regenerative braking is limited, the circles on the display change from a double circle to a single circle. Regenerative braking is automatically reduced when the Li-ion battery is fully charged to prevent the Li-ion battery from becoming over-charged. Regenerative braking is also automatically reduced when the Li-ion battery temperature is high/low (indicated by the red/ blue zones on the Li-ion battery temperature gauge) to prevent Li-ion battery damage. The more regenerative braking is reduced the more double circles change to single circles.
If the Li-ion battery charge is low, power provided to the traction motor is reduced. Motor output is also limited if the Li-ion battery temperature is high/low (indicated by the red/ blue zones on the Li-ion battery temperature gauge) or the Li-ion battery charge level is low. The more power provided to the traction motor is reduced the more double circles change to single circles.

When my battery temperature is around 4 bars (like every morning this time of the year), I don't get that last regen circle either. This in combination with the current state-of-charge determine the maximum regen level available.

Usually, by the time I leave work in the afternoon ether the temperature gets high enough or my SOC finally drops down enough that the last regen circle is available...

garygid said:
If you charge to 100%, all of the Regen bubbles will
be "single" (meaning Regen unavailable).
Nubo said:
Conversely, if you run the battery down very low the double-circles will start disappearing on the right side, meaning your drive power is limited. Single-circle means "this power level is unavailable".
Huh. You learn something new every day - even after having the car for two years. And yes, I've RTFM... :oops:

Those regen double circles also depend on speed. I've noticed some don't ''enable'' until your speed has dropped. The regen may be limited but it shows 20KW regen on the Lincomatic GID meter with the last regen circle disabled.

I've seen as many as two double-regen circles missing even at 50% charge on a cool day (40F) while decelerating. Shortly after coming to a stop and accelerating, one of the two might come back, and eventually all of them are lit. The surprise was simply the unexpected "severe restriction" (two) being unavailable despite driving the car from 100% down to 50% at freeway speeds. ( My expectation had been that the constant draw down should have warmed the battery sufficiently to allow full regen. )

Back