Why Did You Choose the Nissan Leaf over the Chevy Volt?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We knew we needed to keep our SUV for the long hauls of gear and family and therefore did not need an extended range second vehicle. The Leaf fit the bill quite well!

If we were able to make it as a single car household I would not hesitate to get the Volt, it may not be a pure EV but I think it offers a very nice option for folks who need range extension on occasion.

When a reasonable plug in version of the highlander comes out, we will trade up to that and be "mostly" gas free.

In no particular order:

1. I'm a hatchback kinda guy. (Traded in a Mazda Protege5)
2. I was pi$$ed at all things oil, so I wanted a pure EV.
3. Trust Issues with GM. (EV1 Crushing, Lack of commitment to the technology)
4. Nissan made a full commitment to EVs. I respect that.
5. Nissan's test drive tour event came to my city. I drove one and loved it!

I wanted a clean car that I could store in an insulated garage... no gasoline smell.

I wanted a simple car that didn't have all the usual parts (engine, muffler, oil pan, transmission,...) that would still require maintenance.

I preferred the electric-only range of the LEAF.

I preferred the lower costs of the LEAF.

I wanted to promote pure EVs in America by voting with my wallet. I may "vote" again in the near future.

Note that we still have four diesels for longer trips or when we need to carry lots of stuff... I'm not planning on giving those up, but the LEAF is the daily driver getting most of the local miles.

I already owned a gas car. With changes with my life I can live with the Leaf mileage limitations. It fits my needs.

I am an old tech geek and owning a high tech car appealed to me. The Volt is a typical GM patchwork car. It has no appeal to me.

Wanted a PURE EV.

I don't trust GM to make a reliable car as complex as the Volt.

My wife's car was available for long trips.

Never gave the Volt a chance...

I am surprised to see how few people mention the HOV stickers since that has been a big difference to me.
Only now does the Volt qualify and then for a limited time.

Otherwise having driven a Prius it seemed time to make the next step.

The Volt doesn't really move us to an electric future the way a LEAF does. The LEAF means you are really committed to getting an EV infrastructure going. The Volt says I will only consider it when it is convenient which may be never - I just want my green HOV sticker.

The LEAF is also a great sales tool for the Tesla S since if you like the LEAF you will love the Tesla S.

The gas engine in the Volt would never kick in for me. I could not see dragging a gas engine around that would never be used.

My goal was to be done with gasoline, spark plugs, catalytic converters, exhaust gas recirculation, fuel pumps, ignition coils, hard starts, rough idles, shakes, fumes, gas stations, and having to tithe at the gasoline Altar. No half measures. I don't ever want to roll this car up to a gasoline pump. Ever.

laalan said:
Car Pool stickers for Southern California carpool lanes
Same, but for Northern California :mrgreen:

Not to mention the fact that I've never driven a Chevy (rental car) that I've liked at all!

Several reasons.

1. I don't want the complexity of a gas engine.
2. I don't want to be at the mercy of the oil cartels.
3. I don't trust GM. I feel that they are just an arm of the oil cartels.

With my LEAF I feel good about driving. I really love the pure EV experience.

1. HOV stickers
2. way cheaper
3. my commute is too long for Volt's EV range (50-60 miles)
4. have wife's ICE car available for long trips
5. less maintenance / simpler design
6. straightforward reservation system / Leaf was first to market
7. better design for family car with hatchback and rear bench
8. don't like/trust GM after EV1, bankruptcy, etc

Still, I might've bought the Volt if GM stuck to their first announcement of when and for how much it would be for sale.

1) Wanted electric only as we have built several Electric motorcycles and love the EV grin.
2) Chevy Killed the EV1 and lied about the Volts build.
3) Have separate Solar system so I can sometime charge for "free".
4) Free in town charging...for now
5) Better quality
6) Soon to be built in the US........

Well this is an interesting question. What if you intend on having both? Personally I bought the Volt first as I was unsure about the whole electric car thing, and wanted a backup plan "just in case." Personally the Volt meets all of my needs, and I think it would meet the vast majority of everyone elses. Not to mention the car is pretty sporty looking, fast, and handles well. Not to mention for me it is kind of like an iPod on wheels for lack of better words with the touch center stack and all..

I like the Leaf too, and it has its place in the world. If you ask me I applaud Nissan for trying to keep the cost down, and still making the car very nice. In my mind GM made the Volt on par with a Buick or a Cadillac which drives the cost up. If GM had made the interior more like the Leaf it certaintly would have cut costs. I personally think both companies made the right choice for what they were trying to do.

The Leaf is simple. Granted the menu's confuse the crap out of me, but I only got to drive it for 3 days so it really was a crash course. I do like the fact that it is 100% EV. Granted the Volt is too unless it is less than 25 degrees outside, you run down the main battery, or you put it in Mountain Mode (which engages the gas motor with 14EV miles left). Believe me I have froze my behind off at 26 degrees praying for the engine to come on as I did not want to waste what little battery power I had just to create heat....

With the Volt I am not at the mercy of the oil cartels. Out of the 5038 miles currently on my car, 4348 of those are all electric. 638 of my 691 gas miles were driving the car from Jacksonville, FL to Hampton, VA. The other 53 gas miles were a few spare miles here and there where me and my wife ran over the battery mileage on our way home. Either way in 6 months it is not shabby. The last time I put gas in the car was November 8th for $3.35 a gallon at Sam's Club. Put in $16 (just over 4.5 gallons), and still have 3.6 gallons left in the tank.

So I guess the end question is why get a Leaf too since we are happy with the Volt? Personally I do not understand why it is always this car vs that car. Personally I want to shed my independance on oil too. The reality is until there is good charging infrastructure that is unrealistic. You at least need an EREV like the Volt, or a regular gas car to take on trips (or rent I suppose). While the Leaf is fantastic in town it would fall short here in Norfolk where there are only 2 charging stations (right next to each other in VA Beach). So while me and my wife can make the Leaf work here I personally do not think it would be a wise choice for the average person. Especially if they just jump in, and do not start with a car like the Volt where misjudging your range does not mean a flat bed home.

I am sure I will get hammered for these statements, but they are about as unobjective as can be. Both cars have their high and low points. Personally I like both. Otherwise I wouldn't have a Leaf on order. Is really just a shame to see the Volt get beat up day after day when it really is a great car... I do not see people complaining about spending $80,000 on an Escalade when you can buy a Tahoe for about $47,000. So for me spending $39k on the Volt is kind of a mute point. In the end the Leaf is going to run me about $33k, so it is not to far off in my mind. Just keep in mind all of you could have bought a Prius for $24k, and had a cost per mile of about $0.08/mi.. So you spent well over that to save $0.05/mi, or in some cases depending on where you live driving on electricity is more expensive than driving a Prius. Either way for those that wish to count pennies we ALL wasted money in that perspective. As the price difference between a Leaf and a Prius could easily have bought the Prius 80,000+ miles of gasoline along with paying for the car. We all have our reasons. Mine is I got tired of donating to the Middle East, and I find it convenient to have a "full tank" everyday when I leave. Not to mention the cars are powerful, and fun to drive. I know my reasons don't line up with everyone elses, but that is my 2 cents.

Only the range on electric power.

The carpool sticker is not an issue as the Volt qualifies in Florida as well.

The expense was not an issue.

I like the styling/design of the Volt better than the Leaf.

I kept my hybrid (Honda Civic with 115,000 miles) for longer trips.

Same reason I never bought a Prius. Still required gas and I don't want to have to lug the ICE+fuel around everywhere. I like waking up to a full tank every morning.

davewill said:
I insisted we go and test drive one "just to satisfy my curiosity". My wife HATED the thing from the first instant she laid eyes on it. She didn't like the styling. She thought it was too "big". The interior was complicated and "too weird". I can see what she means, too. It seems a little masculine, probably that "sporty" styling.

So, we got her another Prius.

Funny you say this.. This is almost exactly what our story is. When we first bought the Leaf, my wife was going to drive it to work. She has a 40 mile round trip and I have 10 mile round trip. We figured it would save more money if she drove it. But she was having range anxiety due to her terrible lead-foot driving style and use of the heater on cold days. (Yes, I tried to remind her to pre-heat the car) Anyway, we had planned on getting a second Leaf, so I would have one too. But when she started to complain of the range anxiety I thought maybe a Volt would be better for her. I could drive the Leaf and she could drive the Volt. But when we went to look at one, she hated it inside and out. We never even took a test drive. Then when she found out the EV range was 35 miles (knowing her, it would wind up being 25 miles) she said "what is the point? I'll still be burning gas every day?" So in the end she bought a brand new Prius. I guess we'll be stuck with the Leaf and Prius for a few years and then re-evaluate.

Yeah. Depending on your drive the range can be a factor. I never get less than 42 miles EV range unless I try, but obviously not everyone drives that way. I was on track to get over 50 miles on the charge yesterday had I kept driving, but weather conditions were optimal. I will say at first the Volt is extremely complex the way it is laid out, but after you drive it everyday you know how to utilize everything to its max. For my wife range anxiety is not an issue as I personally drove her everywhere she would ever need to take the Leaf to prove to her the car is capable, and had more than enough range left even if something happened and she needed to divert elsewhere. Obviously the Volt does not go as far in EV, but the gas engine is there if you need to divert by a large margin. With the Volt I do not necessarilly feel I am "lugging about" a gas drivetrain. I still average over 4mi/kwh, and usually closer to 4.25-4.3mi/kwh. Yesterday was a hair under 5mi/kwh at 80F. I am ready for summer to get here, and ready for our Leaf to arrive.

The Prius is your best bang for the dollar by a large margin. We have one, and it has cost us next to nothing to drive and maintain. It is just time to move on to new pastures. I myself am making the bet that Obama will get a second term, and gas will head up close to $8 a gallon along with more money printing to drive inflation faster. Hopefully not, BUT you never know. If I am wrong then at least I have 2 great cars regardless. I would rather not take my chances. Cause once people wise up, and start flocking to these cars the prices will go through the roof as if 1-2k over MSRP is not bad enough. Just look at Prius prices last year. Used cars were going for far more than I even paid for mine new. So hopefully that means we are all making wise investments. Especially with China and India needing ever increasing oil supplies I foresee the price of a barrel only going upward.

What's interesting here is that some considered the Volt along with the LEAF ... we didn't cross shop them as it was our intention to replace an existing ICE car that was driven fairly 'short' distances (except on weekends) with something that could go strictly on electricity and be fine with charging out of our garage. As some others have already mentioned, the LEAF was never to be our 'only' car so the Volt wasn't considered at all; we actually expected the Ford Focus EV to be available sooner than the LEAF in the midwest but it STILL isn't available and after finally seeing one as well as how much they want for it, etc. we feel fine with the choice we made. So, all the reasons for the LEAF over even considering the Volt:

- great for daily no gas commutes for entire household of 3 drivers (7mile/RT: 30mile/RT and 44mile/RT; although that last one we're only hesitant when it's really, really COLD)
- no worry that short trips will negatively affect exhaust system, issue with stale gas, etc. associated with ANY ICE vehicle; less than optimal gas mileage on such short trips, etc.
- less complexity, you're not trying to maintain two drive systems, more than likely less maintenance cost in the long run
- the wife doesn't need to pump gas; laugh as you will, the ICE car we replaced was never gassed up by the spouse; she is however OK with plugging in the LEAF at home
- why pay extra for range we didn't need; again remember only really applies to multi-car households with one vehicle for 'short' trips
- w/o any ICE drive train, LEAF is actually a bit roomier than the Volt; especially where it counts when carrying a back seat passenger or running errands on the weekend
- as some studies have shown, we actually overestimated our weekend range requirements; with the exception of two trips (in excess of 90 miles each way, no charger available at the destination), the LEAF has been the only car we needed on weekends; we'll still keep the other ICE's as we have on occasion needed room for 6 passengers and cargo as well as a few vacation long distance trips and we still have 3 drivers but we'll re-evaluate as the time comes to replace the other vehicles.

Back