Whole Foods Removes EV Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, a brand new Whole Foods in Austin (second largest Whole Foods store, behind the Whole Foods HQ store), that opened a few weeks ago, has four ChargePoint stations. I charged at one of them (I just needed the parking spot :) ; the other three chargers were unused). There was no sign about them soon to be removed.

dgpcolorado said:
Nubo said:
I get what you're saying, but I also think you must be younger than me ;)
Hah! That was my immediate reaction also. I remember waiting in those gas lines. I was fortunate that most of my travel at the time was discretionary, as opposed to necessary, so I didn't have to do it very often. Remember "odds and evens"? (Odd and even number license plates had different days of the week when they were allowed to buy gas.)

I worked in a gas station as a college job. I always had gas. And, strangely, everybody wanted to be my friend. :?

I was at WFM in Northbrook today and the 1 working charger was still operational.

The EV spaces were completely ICE'd, but I was able to drag the cord over the hood if an Infinity.

(Didn't have my camera with me, so no picture.)

I left all of them one of those "polite" reminders provided by The Blink system.

When I came out of WFM two of the ICE'rs were gone.

If the Northbrook police were to set a row or two away, they would have a good revenue generator...Like shooting ducks in a pond.

Attachments

• Unknown-7.jpeg
    Unknown-7.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 242
greengate said:
Get the picture?

If birds were roosting on the top of these stations, I could understand their desire to "clean up the environment."

But lacking any evidence of this, why would "environmentally conscious" Whole Foods remove these stations?
This is what they look like now. :(

The vultures have moved in to claim the space of the kill.

Don't even think of lifting the bag to get a charge.

Attachments

• Whole Foods Chargers.jpg
    Whole Foods Chargers.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Whole Food Charger.jpg
    Whole Food Charger.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 200
  • Sealed.jpg
    Sealed.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 200
FYI evgo runs the one in Houston closest to me. But the Houston plans are cost prohibitive unless the workaround I'm trying works. :)

So I've yet to use evgo, but I have chargepoint and blink accounts.

If Whole Foods keeps yanking charging stations out of their parking lots (or if the spots they do keep are frequently ICEd), Fog and Smog might have to make a sequel to their classic:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc1pr2yUU[/youtube]

mbender said:
If Whole Foods keeps yanking charging stations out of their parking lots (or if the spots they do keep are frequently ICEd), Fog and Smog might have to make a sequel to their classic:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc1pr2yUU[/youtube]
That was great!!

Cough up 2 or 4 spaces for chargers?

U got to be kidding.

__________________________________ (This is the bottom line.)

Attachments

• VDQ0ZGn.jpg
    VDQ0ZGn.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 171
greengate said:
greengate said:
Get the picture?

If birds were roosting on the top of these stations, I could understand their desire to "clean up the environment."

But lacking any evidence of this, why would "environmentally conscious" Whole Foods remove these stations?

I wrote to Charge Point and was told that they are aware of the situation..are working with the owner of the units..and hope to have it resolved as soon as possible. :D

After they disconnected and covered the chargers I haven't been there to shop, so I was wondering what the situation is now.

Anything any different?

TRONZ said:
Well Costco yanked out (most of) their chargers a while back. Lots of reasons speculated about that. I am actually getting to the point where I think its kinda silly to make a grocery store (or random whatever) responsible for my cars energy supply. I get that some drivers have patched together a charging routine and really count on some of these sites but we really need to break out of this park-all-day-to-charge-level-2 mindset. Badgering a jerk CEO might seem like a good idea (and fun) but its trivial and a waste of time because they actually don't matter. As mentioned already, the best and most useful EV infrastructure is by Tesla. Its growing and working because it in no way relies on "others" to carry out its disruptive mission. If you want something done right, do it yourself. If you want something REALLY REALLY important done right, you REALLY REALLY need to do it yourself!
Yes I agree with everything you said here. The only question I have is will Nissan ever figure this out ?

greengate said:
greengate said:
Get the picture?

Here's the answer as sent to me from the manager of the property in which Whole Foods Market is located: (Located in Northbrook, Waukegan and Willow roads.)

"Unfortunately , Whole Foods controls the charging stations and we have asked them several times, when they will be back up and running. It is my understanding that they have changed vendors on a national basis, but I do not understand why this has impacted our charging stations for such a lengthy period of time. We view them as a very important aspect of the center are very disappointed that customers have a negative view of the center and us because they are no longer functioning. It is my intention to pass your email along to the Whole Foods store as well as their corporate office. I truly believe that they share the same opinion as us and will want to get them working as soon as possible.

I will keep on this issue until we get a resolution. I will let you know when that occurs so that so that you can come back and shop our tenants again. Thank you very much for your concern."

--------------------------------------------

I suggest for those impacted by this situation, that they write to Whole Foods Corporate, (Drop down menu on their web site..email, call or fax..or put it on Face Book, etc,) expressing your personal concern about this issue.

Yup they work good, but we've got a lot of EV's in the area! Could have used more than two... :?

Also, it's a 208V 40A station, so no faster for '13/'14s. Tesla's and Rav's will like that one.

I have come to the firm conclusion that all the so called 'opportunity' charging on CVS, Wholefoods and like is just useless. There are plenty of them around my house and I have not had a need to use them even once. Why? because I live there and I have an EVSE at my home. Why would I sit in CVS for three hours to get a charge ?

Again for out of towners, it just doesnt make sense for someone to plan their trips sitting in Kroger for a few hours. Emergency use, yes. But never plan your trip around these chargers.

On the other hand, destination charging in your office or school is absolutely a requirement for EV adoption.

mkjayakumar said:
I have come to the firm conclusion that all the so called 'opportunity' charging on CVS, Wholefoods and like is just useless.
I disagree completely. I have often used charging stations like those to pick up enough charge to get home. If more of them were available it would make more trips possible without having to stop for a quick QC on the way back.

I heard they just signed a deal for a new company ,at least in Arizona. They will have FREE L2 chargers soon. We have a few of them in our area and everyone works. No card or payment needed at all. Just give it a little time.

drees said:
mkjayakumar said:
I have come to the firm conclusion that all the so called 'opportunity' charging on CVS, Wholefoods and like is just useless.
I disagree completely. I have often used charging stations like those to pick up enough charge to get home. If more of them were available it would make more trips possible without having to stop for a quick QC on the way back.
Same here. The problem with this particular one is that if it isn't available (which it very likely I think), I'm going to have a hard time getting home given my current battery degradation. I was hoping that this would be a pay station so I could actually use it. There's QC along the way now, so I guess I have a backup plan.

I agree with the sense of EV entitlement that many drivers have. Especially noted in the off topic comments people leave in the plug share station comments. I only use DC chargers that cost money. Level 2 around town is too slow for me. Even if it us free. What am I saving money wise anyway?

Level 2 around town is too slow for me. Even if it us free. What am I saving money wise anyway?

Exactly. I am there in CVS for around 15 minutes and perhaps in Kroger for a little more, and I get what around 8 miles ? And typically folks who shop in a CVS or Kroger are living in the neighborhood anyway, and so this 8 miles is not a lot of value - even if it is free.

Back