Who is driving 2013 Leaf? EPA range is 75 miles!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobsfreeleaf said:
... Anyway, this new San Diego dealer was true blue, and matched the $199 lease deal with a couple of small exceptions: The payment was $219 after tax (about $203 before tax), and the term was an extra 3 months (39 total months @ 1,000 miles a month instead of 36). ...
Old trick. They increase the term to lower the payment so that you don't notice that they padded the interest rate.

davewill said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
... Anyway, this new San Diego dealer was true blue, and matched the $199 lease deal with a couple of small exceptions: The payment was $219 after tax (about $203 before tax), and the term was an extra 3 months (39 total months @ 1,000 miles a month instead of 36).

She was just delivered. No kidding, the S modle is beautiful outside and in. I can't believe how much I like the interior, including the seats. It's just stunning. The pictures don't really do it justice. Pretty nice for a free car. Now to drive it!!! :p

That's because the EPA changed the test procedures it uses to calculates range for electric cars for the 2013 model year.
I am very confused here. If this is true therefore other EV without changes for 13 model should have less range but apparently range is the same
2012 FFE 76 miles 2013 FFE 76 miles
2012 iMiEV 63 miles 2013 iMiEV 62 miles
2012 Tesla S 265 miles 2013 Tesla S 265 miles

bobsfreeleaf said:
davewill said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
... Anyway, this new San Diego dealer was true blue, and matched the $199 lease deal with a couple of small exceptions: The payment was $219 after tax (about $203 before tax), and the term was an extra 3 months (39 total months @ 1,000 miles a month instead of 36).

She was just delivered. No kidding, the S modle is beautiful outside and in. I can't believe how much I like the interior, including the seats. It's just stunning. The pictures don't really do it justice. Pretty nice for a free car. Now to drive it!!! :p

Where r the pics of your new boy/girl.

Congrats and get out there and drive!

Ian B

New 2013 EPA tests against an 80% charge! Woo hoo!

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1082456_2013-nissan-leaf-75-mile-range-anticipated-in-new-test-by-epa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phatcat73 said:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1082456_2013-nissan-leaf-75-mile-range-anticipated-in-new-test-by-epa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woah... yes, but from the above
The EPA's new testing procedure averages the ranges achieved from an 80-percent charge (known as Long-Life Mode charging) and a 100-percent charge (called Long-Distance Mode charging).

For the 2013 Nissan Leaf, the maker estimates those ranges to be 66 miles and 84 miles respectively.

So comparing last year's apples to this year's gives a range improvement of 15 percent, from 73 to 84 miles--even though that's not what will appear on the window sticker...

Phatcat73 said:
All from this? End user testing will show it. Certainly some folks will get the 2013s that had a 2011/2012 so they can compare to the same drives they are use to doing. Tony and AZ company testing would be interesting too.
The improvement in apples-to-apples range is largely due, Nissan says, to improvements in the Leaf's regenerative braking, reduced aerodynamic drag, and a slightly lower vehicle weight.

Before this year, the range estimate assumed a battery pack that was charged to 100 percent of its capacity.
Many electric cars--the Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model S among them--offer owners the ability to limit charge to 80 percent of capacity.
While this reduces range, it also prolongs battery life and takes disproportionately less time, since the final 20 percent of a battery pack tops off at a slower rate.
The EPA's new testing procedure averages the ranges achieved from an 80-percent charge (known as Long-Life Mode charging) and a 100-percent charge (called Long-Distance Mode charging).
For the 2013 Nissan Leaf, the maker estimates those ranges to be 66 miles and 84 miles respectively.
So comparing last year's apples to this year's gives a range improvement of 15 percent, from 73 to 84 miles--even though that's not what will appear on the window sticker.
Tesla S 2012 and 2013 same range of 265 miles so it appears that in Tesla case new procedure was used for 12 and 13 models, if not than 13 Tesla S should have range reduced because of new testing procedure or I am missing something here.

So comparing last year's apples to this year's gives a range improvement of 15 percent, from 73 to 84 miles--even though that's not what will appear on the window sticker...

This is exactly what EPA did with the 2012 Toyota Rav4;

80% = 92 miles (34.0kWh usable * 2.7 miles/kWh)
100% = 113 miles (41.8kWh usable * 2.7 miles/kWh)

Average (and what's on the window sticker) = 103 miles EPA

My real world driving around town is close to the EPA rating of 2.7 miles/kWh, but unlike the LEAF, the Rav4 really shines on the freeway. At 65mph, I can knock down 3.4 miles/kWh or 142 miles range.

Phatcat73 said:

Yep, I predicted 15% improvement and 84 miles for a 100% charge.

EdmondLeaf said:
Before this year, the range estimate assumed a battery pack that was charged to 100 percent of its capacity.
Many electric cars--the Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model S among them--offer owners the ability to limit charge to 80 percent of capacity.
Tesla S 2012 and 2013 same range of 265 miles so it appears that in Tesla case new procedure was used for 12 and 13 models, if not than 13 Tesla S should have range reduced because of new testing procedure or I am missing something here.
Yes, this doesn't make any sense since both the 60 and 85 kWh Model S appear to be rated on their 100% full-range charge capacity. The only other car known to use the average of 2 charge modes is the RAV4-EV which was also available as a 2012 model well before the Model S.

Has anyone done any poking around in the bumper of the 2013 LEAF to try to figure out where the aerodynamic improvements came from?

LEAFfan said:
Phatcat73 said:

Yep, I predicted 15% improvement and 84 miles for a 100% charge.

I wouldn't put too much money on the 15% improvement in REAL world driving.

While a new 2011-2012 will produce 4 miles/kWh at 65mph for 84 miles of range (no HVAC, level road, no wind), I suspect the 2013 will only be just a few percent above 84 miles with the exact same parameters.

The good news is that we don't have to wonder too much longer, 'cuz I feel a test coming on real soon.

drees said:
Yes, this doesn't make any sense since both the 60 and 85 kWh Model S appear to be rated on their 100% full-range charge capacity. The only other car known to use the average of 2 charge modes is the RAV4-EV which was also available as a 2012 model well before the Model S.

Has anyone done any poking around in the bumper of the 2013 LEAF to try to figure out where the aerodynamic improvements came from?

One issue is the Tesla uses 90% and 100%... might be a factor over the 80%-100% of the LEAF and Rav4.

TonyWilliams said:

While a new 2011-2012 will produce 4 miles/kWh at 65mph for 84 miles of range (no HVAC, level road, no wind), I suspect the 2013 will only be just a few percent above 84 miles with the exact same parameters.

The good news is that we don't have to wonder too much longer, 'cuz I feel a test coming on real soon.
Funny you should say that. There is a Dutch professor, who specializes in EVs, and he seems to think that the range achieved when going steady 100km/h on flat terrain is a good approximation for the real-world range of the vehicle.

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:

Funny you should say that. There is a Dutch professor, who specializes in EVs, and he seems to think that the range achieved when going steady 100km/h on flat terrain is a good approximation for the real-world range of the vehicle.

What a nut job.... everybody knows that 100km/h is a terrible speed, and flat is boring, and he probably wears wooden shoes.

TonyWilliams said:
What a nut job.... everybody knows that 100km/h is a terrible speed, and flat is boring, and he probably wears wooden shoes.
:lol:

2o13leafmnl

Click to open

EdmondLeaf said:
Do you have 6 kWH charger?

No, totally stripped, no upgrades. Not even using the 3 kwh cord yet since I don't have my upgrade. So, am trickly charging. Wish I didn't have to give up my cord for the upgrade. I am over two light bulbs of charge this morning and the question is: "do i feel lucky?" I really WANT to drive it to work. :? 53 miles

surfingslovak said:

what, no mountain climbing!

Back