When does a new car stop being a new car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel

With many of our cars now accumulating months of sitting in port, waiting to be cleaned of pollen, or waiting for accessories, or just waiting until there are enough cars to fill a transport to our location, I'm starting to wonder, at what point does the aging of tires, batteries, seals, lubricants, etc., justify calling it a used car?

Clearly, a car that had sat in a corner for five years could not be represented as "new." And just as clearly, nobody would argue that a car that had waited a week is still a new car. What's the cut-off?

We're seeing reports of cars with VINs in the high four thousand range being delivered to customers, while cars in the one thousand range are still sitting in port for reasons we really cannot know, given the established pattern of lies we are constantly being fed by Nissan. (My dealer is getting cars, but mine is supposedly waiting for available transport!)

How long can a car be left sitting out exposed to the elements and miscellaneous harbor vermin before any rational person would have to admit that it is no longer a "new" car? Three months? Six months? A year?

The car stops being considered "new" when you sign paperwork as a first buyer. So even if you didn't drive the car and want to sell it back to the dealer right away it will be classified as used.

daniel said:
How long can a car be left sitting out exposed to the elements and miscellaneous harbor vermin before any rational person would have to admit that it is no longer a "new" car? Three months? Six months? A year?
Legally? Up until the vehicle is titled for the very first time it is a "new" car. The second it is titled it becomes "used."

Legally, shmeegaly! At what point do you tell a dealer that the car is older than you're willing to pay "new" price for? Because I have no expectation of seeing "my" Leaf for the next six months, by which time it will have been sitting in port exposed to who-knows-what for half a year. Would you pay new-car MSRP for a vehicle that has sat out of doors for half a year? Or even two months? What about a year? Two years?

What's the time frame after which a car that's been neglected, out-of-doors, is no longer worth MSRP to you?

daniel said:
Legally, shmeegaly! At what point do you tell a dealer that the car is older than you're willing to pay "new" price for? Because I have no expectation of seeing "my" Leaf for the next six months
Ask again when you have the opportunity to take delivery, which I predict will be in the month of June. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to take delivery in June... as a matter of fact, I am planning on it myself. :D

daniel said:
Legally, shmeegaly! At what point do you tell a dealer that the car is older than you're willing to pay "new" price for? Because I have no expectation of seeing "my" Leaf for the next six months, by which time it will have been sitting in port exposed to who-knows-what for half a year. Would you pay new-car MSRP for a vehicle that has sat out of doors for half a year? Or even two months? What about a year? Two years?

What's the time frame after which a car that's been neglected, out-of-doors, is no longer worth MSRP to you?

If registered to another or a demo then it is used. For sitting around I give it at least three months past the model year end. If test driven maybe more than 200 miles I am starting to think used and I want a discount or pass.

IBELEAF said:
The car stops being considered "new" when you sign paperwork as a first buyer. So even if you didn't drive the car and want to sell it back to the dealer right away it will be classified as used.

Bingo. Roll backs in California get used car buyers guides, and the warranty starts ticking away.

daniel said:

That's a rough spot. As a dealer, it's a new car, and since they didn't lose it in the back of the lot, I doubt they'd be willing to discount the car to bury the hatchet because it was delayed in the port.

BrendanDolan said:
... since they didn't lose it in the back of the lot, I doubt they'd be willing to discount the car to bury the hatchet because it was delayed in the port.
If they didn't lose it in the back of the lot, why are they continuing to ship cars (cars ordered months after mine) AFTER they told me my car was released for shipping? And while I'm at it, why do they keep giving "estimated" delivery dates when they know they cannot even ship the car by the date they're promising delivery?

If it was just me maybe I'd say they don't like me because of my comments here. But it's a whole PILE of people who ordered in September and October, the vast majority of whom are waiting patiently and respectfully!

I say if they are intentionally holding our cars back, on the grounds that we cannot get any more angry and frustrated than we already are, and we've been lost to them for life as future customers, while the people who ordered in February can still be made to feel all warm and fuzzy about Nissan; if, as I say, they are holding our cars back intentionally to ship those later orders first, as seems likely, then we are justified in asserting that THEY have deprived us of several months of the useful life of the cars, and we should be given discounts in compensation.

The fact that the out-of-order delivery continues EVEN AFTER our cars have been cleared for shipping, means that they are doing this on purpose, and I think my assumption above is reasonable: They've given up on garnering any good will from us at this point and are focusing on the people whose good will can still be salvaged.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now: I've never in my life dealt with a company more dishonest, more disreputable, more incompetent, or more dishonorable than Nissan. I suppose that this comment will get my car moved back to 2012, but I know there are people who agree with this and are just too nice to say it.

daniel said:
BrendanDolan said:
... since they didn't lose it in the back of the lot, I doubt they'd be willing to discount the car to bury the hatchet because it was delayed in the port.
If they didn't lose it in the back of the lot, why are they continuing to ship cars (cars ordered months after mine) AFTER they told me my car was released for shipping? And while I'm at it, why do they keep giving "estimated" delivery dates when they know they cannot even ship the car by the date they're promising delivery?

The cars shipping before yours came off the line without the issues that many of our April delivery date cars had. I would not consider any date recieved over the phone from CS to be valid. I have wondered if it would have been better to get a car after the April SNAFU. But my car has been fine and I am sure yours will be also once they are able to verify all is perfect and ready to ship. These extended delays are unfortunate. :(

daniel said:
I say if they are intentionally holding our cars back, on the grounds that we cannot get any more angry and frustrated than we already are, and we've been lost to them for life as future customers, while the people who ordered in February can still be made to feel all warm and fuzzy about Nissan;
Daniel, Daniel, please take your meds before making a comment.

Have you emailed Brian and politely explained your situation and what you would like to receive from Nissan corporate. People have done this and gotten almost instant results.. It has been suggested you do the same. You know posting these topics here won't do any good.

daniel said:
BrendanDolan said:

If it was just me maybe I'd say they don't like me because of my comments here. But it's a whole PILE of people who ordered in September and October, the vast majority of whom are waiting patiently and respectfully!

You must have missed the opener in my post that said "As a dealer." I wouldn't expect your dealer to do much in the way of a discount, as it wasn't them who lost your car on their lot. Now whether Nissan North America and you can work something out is between you and NNA.

As a Oct order myself (with a rapidly dwindling CA rebate), and as a dealer who has ordered more cars than anyone else, trust me, I know. It'll be over soon though.

Back