What would you replace your LEAF with...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipcecil

Seeing the positive results that a few Arizona owners are getting to return their LEAFs or end them early with no penalties - if you had to trade your LEAF in today what would you get? Would you get another EV? Lease another LEAF? Would you require a plug-in? Just stick with a hybrid? Screw it and get a Hummer?

I know my wife asked this question multiple times when discussing our range problems - if Nissan bought your car back today, what would you get?

For myself I know it most likely would have to be a plug-in of some kind. I don't think I could go back otherwise. While I think I would still prefer an pure EV, I don't think I would have the option.

Unobtainable:
Toyota Rav 4 EV & Honda Fit EV - unfortunately on available in California. For those in Texas and Arizona, its not much of an option.
Plug-in Prius - is not avilable to me in Texas, so this is a looser as well to me.

Difficult to obtain:
Ford Focus EV - Ford did some weird thing of only making it available in certain cities instead of states. In Texas, it is available in Austin and Houston, but not Dallas-Fort Worth (strange because we have more public charging...). I could get one and have it delievered, but I am quite afraid to own a new tech car that none of the local dealerships can support or repair shops (if I got in an accident).
Tesla Model S - orders are backlogged and the closest "repair" shop for Tesla is in Colorado. Service can still be handled by their mobile unit, but the cost would increase significantly for repairs and service

Not quite ready:
Ford C-Max Energi - not out until later this year
Ford Fusion Energi - not out until next year

Available today:
Chevy Volt - in Texas and ready now, although the smaller size is a little bit of a downer
Mitsubishi i - not enough range, may as well keep a degraded Nissan LEAF

While I would love to try a Ford Focus EV, the lack of support would probably scare me off. The C-max would be nice, but it still has to come out, and Ford is still only using the FFEV dealerships, which would cause the same problems. While it would be great to get a Tesla, cost and availability are too large of hurdles to overcome. I think I would have to walk away with a Chevy Volt.

On a side note - some of these car companies could make nice moves and boost their numbers if they would capitalize on the potential returns - have a returned LEAF get 1,000 off, I would take advantage of that!

Pure EV with QC:
Mitsubishi i - do not like the looks and the reduced range
Tesla S - cannot aford the price. (A $30000 Camry, with taxes, gas and maintenance gets close enough to a Tesla ... so I am still thinking)

I would first consider the Focus and Volt, or possibly another Prius. Right now I am happy with our Leafs, but that will change quickly if I see that capacity bar disappear. The problem I have is that a few Arizona owners being placated does not solve the problem for those who's Leafs simply haven't clocked the necessary miles yet. I want a solid 39 months and 45,000 miles (the length of a 2011 lease) out of each of our Leafs with minimal ( meaning 5-10% MAX ) range loss. A $30K car that is only good for 40-50 miles on a charge after 20-30K miles is nothing short of a swindle. While that may work for the pocket books and sensibilities of some people, I doubt that I am exactly on the fringe here in this thinking.

caffeinekid said:
I want a solid 39 months and 45,000 miles (the length of a 2011 lease) out of each of our Leafs with minimal ( meaning 5-10% MAX ) range loss.
That isn't a reasonable expectation, given that Nissan stated average capacity after 5 years at 80%. Assuming capacity loss is linear, that would mean an expectation of a 13% loss at 39 months. I would not expect a Leaf to do better than Nissan represented.

I would not give up my Leaf easily.

It does everything I expect it to do.

Even with a 20% degraded battery I would still be able to alter my speed to get where I am going.

A refurbished battery option would appeal to me, and I expect that will happen at some point.

Trouble with all the other options listed above:

1: Available - most are not, those that are may have issues that are worse as they are still untested.
2: Price - While the Volt has come down in price, the extra cost for premium gas would make me hate the car. I have a motorcycle that uses premium and $12 didn't even fill the tank - for $12 I drive my Leaf for months with my solar production. The other EV's cost more or give less so what would be the point?
3: Comparing a vehicle like a Camry to any EV for me is ridiculous, and driving one after driving my Leaf (Much less a Model S) would make me sad. EV, what I currently own, or nothing but walking for me at this point. May buy more stock in Tesla since the price dropped a bit, still can't justify that kind of cash for a car - If I need to go that far I can fly a whole lot of times for the 30-70 grand over what my Leaf cost me, and for now I get to park free at LAX (Which saved me over a grand last year)!

The only way I can handle driving my gas vehicles now is knowing I will be in my Leaf again soon. I want a better model, I want an infrastructure like Tesla is offering up, but those are not here now - my Leaf is.

Since we have a Leaf and a Volt.. I'd obviously just go for a second Volt if I had to give up the Leaf for some reason.

If for some reason I had to give up having a plug-in car of any kind I'd go for the Prius C.

Although truth be told, I'd probably go the used route and find me a 2nd Gen Prius as cheaply as possible and drive that.

etracing said:
Nothing. I will be keep it until the wheels fall off.......

+1

I purchased it because I did not see myself returning it after 3 years. If Nissan does not come through with some sort of owner protection for premature capacity loss and does not offer replacement batteries for a reasonable price, I will adapt aftermarket batteries to keep it on the road. If I cannot keep the Leaf on the road, I will be back to the Jeep in the slow lane or the motorcycle in the HOV lane.

Comments on alternatives:
Volt, Prius--not for me because ICE ineligible for HOV lanes in AZ (and no discount on registration).
Tesla--too expensive for commuter car. It is a nice car and would be a possibility if I did not need the Jeep for off road use, towing, and long trips.
Ford Focus--possibility, but I question its realistic range. It is heavier than Leaf, has same stated battery capacity, and has TMS that likely draws power while driving. Therefore, I will need to see real range data in AZ heat before I would consider it.
Mitsubishi--insufficient range.
Smart EV--will consider if they get maximum speed and range up to what the Leaf has.
Honda Fit and Toyota RAV4--likely for California only so not available here.

Gerry

The BYD e6 was at our plug-in day:

http://www.byd.com/auto/e6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

186 mile range, decent size.... will it truly be available soon?

Back