What to Tell Electrician

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the difference between the ClipperCreek LCS and HCS models?

If I get a plug-in model, do I have to have any county inspector come and give the okay?

Given the specs are the same LCS appears to be just a newer more compact design, that is also less expensive.

To be legit you want to pull a permit for the new circuit and the outlet and have them inspected afterwards, but not necessarily with the EVSE plugged in but a county inspector might ask questions about what the outlet is for.

wwhitney said:
The only NEC rule for receptacles on an individual branch circuit (dedicated circuit) is that the receptacle rating be not less than the breaker rating.

I know this is slightly OT, but why would the NEC have this rule?

Case 1 (OK by NEC?): 50A outlet on a 30A breaker
A device (EVSE, range, whatever) is plugged in, pulling 40A (perfectly fine for the connector). The 30A breaker trips.

Case 2 (not OK by NEC?): 30A outlet on a 50A breaker
Any device with this outlet should not, without some sort of fault, pull more than 30A. So the breaker never trips.

Maybe I just answered my own question - in Case 2, the problem is lack of protection for a faulty device which pulls, say 40A, thus melting the outlet without tripping the breaker? Did I understand this correctly?

GetOffYourGas said:
Maybe I just answered my own question - in Case 2, the problem is lack of protection for a faulty device which pulls, say 40A, thus melting the outlet without tripping the breaker? Did I understand this correctly?
Yep.

The breaker needs to protect the fixed installation, which includes the wiring and the receptacle. So the breaker size can not exceed the rating of the wiring or the receptacle.

BTW, for a circuit with multiple receptacles, the receptacle rating must (**) match the circuit rating. 15A breaker -- 15A receptacles. 20A breaker -- 15A or 20A receptacles (15A receptacles are rated for 20A pass through). 30A breaker -- 30A receptacles. 40A or 50A breaker --- 50A receptacles (there are no NEMA 40A receptacles).

Cheers, Wayne

** I believe there is an exception for a circuit intended to power a single piece of portable equipment--you can install multiple receptacles so you can move the equipment around. E.g. if you have a portable welder with a 50A plug, but because of the duty cycle it only requires a 30A circuit, you could run a 30A circuit with two or more 50A receptacles for the welder.

I hope I am not redundant... Your EVSE line should be a DEDICATED circuit for the particular amperage of your charger. Mine is a 30A charger, and the breaker is a 40A (as per the manufacturer). You should not "future proof" your 240 volt line with anything higher.

If and when you get a better charger, then change the breaker, say, your new EVSE is a 40 amp, and then put in a 50 amp breaker.

As far as "future proofing", I would have the electrician install a box that can handle future upgrades, and also run the correct gauge of 240v wire (for future upgrades) to where the EVSE will be installed, and also install a 50 amp plug (in advance). That way, when you upgrade, all you do is change the breaker, and then you are in business...

powersurge said:
I hope I am not redundant... Your EVSE line should be a DEDICATED circuit for the particular amperage of your charger. Mine is a 30A charger, and the breaker is a 40A (as per the manufacturer). You should not "future proof" your 240 volt line with anything higher.

If and when you get a better charger, then change the breaker, say, your new EVSE is a 40 amp, and then put in a 50 amp breaker.

As far as "future proofing", I would have the electrician install a box that can handle future upgrades, and also run the correct gauge of 240v wire (for future upgrades) to where the EVSE will be installed, and also install a 50 amp plug (in advance). That way, when you upgrade, all you do is change the breaker, and then you are in business...

As discussed earlier in this topic, plug-in Clipper Creek EVSEs call for circuits whose amperage matches that of the supplied plug so no need to install a lower-amp breaker that matches EVSE amperage.

The NEC article 625 states "...dedicated for Level 1...". I'll leave it at that and give everybody else the final word :mrgreen:

Back