What size generator?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonewild

How many watts would a generator have to have to run the 120vac cord. Say if you went camping or did not have power?

120 volts times 12 amps equals 1,440 watts. So, a generator rated at least 1,600 watts continuous should be ok.
Gonewild said:
How many watts would a generator have to have to run the 120vac cord. Say if you went camping or did not have power?

I think Phil ("Ingineer") was using a honda eu2000 successfully. I've been meaning to find out more about how well this worked out. I have a 5000W honda for hurricanes, but I'm thinking if I can find a buyer for it I would downsize to the EU2000. I think the one I have is nearly 300 lbs, we could get it in the minivan if we had to rescue the Leaf but it would be a lot to manage. Unlike the EU2000 it does have 240v output so some kind of L2 hookup is a possibility.

I wonder if you can use a 240V generator to provide 240V power for Phil's upgraded EVSE for L2 charging. Something like this cheap generator http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-4400-Watt-Portable-Gas-Power-Generator-XP4400-/170749968888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c17dc1f8#ht_5968wt_1294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eHelmholtz said:
I wonder if you can use a 240V generator to provide 240V power for Phil's upgraded EVSE for L2 charging. Something like this cheap generator http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-4400-Watt-Portable-Gas-Power-Generator-XP4400-/170749968888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c17dc1f8#ht_5968wt_1294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From my experience the quality matters as much if not more than wattage. My 5000 watt Honda weighs 100 lbs more than the 6800 watt "Costco special" Coleman it replaced. The Honda will handle much heavier loads and do so reliably, where the Coleman would bog down, sputter, surge, stall, and generally act like the POS that it was, of course all at times when you most need it to perform. You reach a point when it dawns on you why a Honda or a Yamaha is three times the price, and in spite of the high price tags that they are actually a much better value.

Don't buy a cheap generator. The EU i series are very good because they are inverter based. SOme can be linked together for 240 operation and there are dual-fuel kits for gas/propane.

EVDRIVER said:
Don't buy a cheap generator. The EU i series are very good because they are inverter based. SOme can be linked together for 240 operation and there are dual-fuel kits for gas/propane.

Yeap, the EU-series rock. I use an EU65iS at my cabin to charge the Leaf when I drive it there. It charges on 230V (3.7kW load) just fine, while at the same time charging my solar batteries (1.6kW load). I use the 16A EVSEupgrade EVSE for charging there.

Back