What I've found about the car so far

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kmp647 said:
Can you set it to 90 percent charge?

Not explicitly, but once you figure out how fast it charges on your EVSE, you should be able to fiddle with the stop time for a charge timer for a given session to land pretty near 90%. Of course that requires configuration each time depending on what the charge level is when you start, which will be annoying.

Note that when you set the limit for "80%" in a timer it actually goes to 10 of 12 bars, which is then reported as 83% in carwings.

whats to stop you from setting it to 80%, then manually restart charging to 100% in the morning knowing you wont have enough time to get that far?

i am guessing will only take a little experimenting to figure out how much time u need to start it up.

definitely interested to hear if anyone has tried this because that is what i plan to do when SO does the 60 mile RT

Four things I learned yesterday while driving my Leaf yesterday

1) At 25 mph, it is very quiet
2) Teenage boys walk directly into traffic lanes without looking
3) Brakes are very good
4) Despite the light color of seats, they are easily cleaned :eek: .

Two Junior high kids were walking along street with back toward me and the boy suddenly, without looking turned out into the traffic lane. I stabbed the brakes and came to a short, screeching halt. I hit the feeble horn and had the window down and yelled if you continue to walk into the street without looking you won’t make it to Senior High. Not sure who’s pants were more affected.

DaveinOlyWA said:
whats to stop you from setting it to 80%, then manually restart charging to 100% in the morning knowing you wont have enough time to get that far?...

That is what I have been doing. But once and a while my breakfast routine ends up taking longer than expected and I end up closer to 100% than I intended. Then the regen is limited when I drive through town.

I so wish there was a 90% setting on the timer!

I have not had the issues but only occasionally need a near full range. Usually I get it to 9 white bars on a regular basis. Actually did get to full charge for first time in more than 2 months this past monday

Bud said:
Four things I learned yesterday while driving my Leaf yesterday

1) At 25 mph, it is very quiet
2) Teenage boys walk directly into traffic lanes without looking
3) Brakes are very good
4) Despite the light color of seats, they are easily cleaned :eek: .

Two Junior high kids were walking along street with back toward me and the boy suddenly, without looking turned out into the traffic lane. I stabbed the brakes and came to a short, screeching halt. I hit the feeble horn and had the window down and yelled if you continue to walk into the street without looking you won’t make it to Senior High. Not sure who’s pants were more affected.

The kid is probably hard of hearing from listening to 110db Rap Music. :(

DaveinOlyWA said:
whats to stop you from setting it to 80%, then manually restart charging to 100% in the morning knowing you wont have enough time to get that far?

i am guessing will only take a little experimenting to figure out how much time u need to start it up.

definitely interested to hear if anyone has tried this because that is what i plan to do when SO does the 60 mile RT

Thanks for the excellent idea.
Today I tried and worked perfect.

I've only had my leaf for a week, but on every drive I notice a gentle intermittent chime-like "bong" noise as I go along. The first time I noticed it I was going about 25. Since then I have noticed it up to 35. I also hear it going slow, as in just before coming to a complete stop. It is not unpleasant, and reminds me of an elevator bonging at each floor. I almost expect to hear a woman's voice say, "Third Floor, Housewares" after the noise.

This noise is so obvious (I hear it a couple of times per minute) but I have never heard anyone else mention it. I searched the manual and came up blank.

Anyone else driving an otis elevator?

Is it the same time of sound that the NAV system plays when it is time for you to make a turn? That's the first thing that comes to mind.....

Randy

Orient Express, what does a speed alarm setting do? Since I hear this either very slow or up to 35, do you still think that is it? I'll check it though.

Randy, I don't know if I am familiar with the nav turning sound. I have never noticed the sound when turning, only when going straight.

My grandson was digging around in the center console one day. (He's 21, so I wasn't upset at him doing so.) I was driving, so I didn't see exactly what he was doing, but he got to some screen where it listed nearby charging stations. He touched an entry for a Nissan dealer, and suddenly the car started insisting we should go there. We could turn down the voice, but not the bongs for wherever it thought we should turn. I figured it would go away when we got home and recharged the car overnight, but, no, the next day it was still trying to get us to that dealer. I couldn't seem to find how to turn it off until I looked it up in the manual. I had been searching under "Settings" and "Destination". Since I wasn't interested in changing the "Route", I didn't look there.

Incidentally, this could end up being the only time the navigation system ever gets used in my car. I really don't feel I have any need for it.

Ray

Randy said:
Is it the same time of sound that the NAV system plays when it is time for you to make a turn? That's the first thing that comes to mind.....

Randy
Thanks Randy ;)
It is indeed the same sound. I just got back from a test ride (ended up driving around for an hour or so :D ) and it turned out that I needed to turn off the "turn point" alarm. So apparently I only heard it when I was going straight because it was letting me know that I should turn.

My question is: Why do you want to go to 90%?
As far as I understand it (having had it explained by a guy who helped start Tesla many years ago):
The 80% charge is so that the batteries will last for as long as possible.
The 100% charge is if you need to drive to the edge of the range.
A 90% charge would be the worst of both worlds -- not enough battery conservation, but also not the best range.

jwatte said:
My question is: Why do you want to go to 90%?
As far as I understand it (having had it explained by a guy who helped start Tesla many years ago):
The 80% charge is so that the batteries will last for as long as possible.
The 100% charge is if you need to drive to the edge of the range.
A 90% charge would be the worst of both worlds -- not enough battery conservation, but also not the best range.

Some of us have a commute so long that 80% isn't quite enough.
But we don't need 100%, more like 90%. I would assume that charging to 90% is better than charging to 100%.

Here's another difference between 90% and 100%....

At 100%, you can't regen for a few miles when starting out. But at 90%, you do get some regen action. Every little bit helps....

planet4ever said:
Incidentally, this could end up being the only time the navigation system ever gets used in my car. I really don't feel I have any need for it.
Setting a destination will allow the LEAF to warn you if you have insufficient battery to make that trip!

Then you can grab a take out meal and head to the nearest Nissan dealer for a bite and a chat while you add enough electrons to get home.

Don't ask me how I came up with this "charge while eating" idea. ;)

[If you don't need the NAV guidance, just select ROUTE/CANCEL to zap it.]

leafkabob said:
This noise is so obvious (I hear it a couple of times per minute) but I have never heard anyone else mention it. I searched the manual and came up blank.

Sounds like the nav system believes you're on a route, and need to turn.

I think you need to "cancel route guidance."

You do that by touching the "route" button and then choosing the "cancel route guidance" option (and then confirming you do, indeed, wish to cancel route guidance).

Good luck.

Back