What is the best way to cool your battery.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
Has anyone done any measurements to see if the pack internal temperature is lower or is kept from rising as quickly if the AC left on/triggered via pre-cooling, to cool the cabin above? (No, I’m not talking about the crap temp bars on the left.) Some days at my work, I end up needing to use our EV valets, which means the car stays outside in the sun. I can remotely trigger the AC and set the timer too.

Or, is it made worse due to the AC condenser w/radiator fans throwing off heat?

If I remember correctly, someone here on MNL did observe the pack getting warmer due to precooling the interior. I think logically, this is what would happen since the AC condenser would be throwing the heat back towards the battery.

1) The pack has significant thermal mass and changes temperature very slowly.

2) The air from the condenser fan is not all that much warmer than ambient by the time it reaches the pack due to mixing and dispersion.

3) What pack heating there may be, if any, is more likely from the energy drawn from the pack...

muus said:
If I remember correctly, someone here on MNL did observe the pack getting warmer due to precooling the interior. I think logically, this is what would happen since the AC condenser would be throwing the heat back towards the battery.

TomT said:
1) The pack has significant thermal mass and changes temperature very slowly.

2) The air from the condenser fan is not all that much warmer than ambient by the time it reaches the pack due to mixing and dispersion.

3) What pack heating there may be, if any, is more likely from the energy drawn from the pack...

Makes sense, but the conclusions is still that cooling the cabin using the AC will not lower the temperature of the battery. At worst it will raise it, at best it will have little to no effect.

MikeinDenver said:
Not very useful but the best way I have found is ~40F nights. :mrgreen:

I suspect that is the ultimate answer - lower ambient temperature and time.

However, for those who live in areas where that isn't possible I would suggest parking on the grass vs parking on surfaces (like concrete or blacktop) that may be radiating heat all night. Grass or damp earth is less likely to be radiating as much and thus may help your car cool more.

The suggesting that A/C in the cabin can cool the batteries sounds about as likely to work as leaving the refrigerator door open to cool the house :)

Slow1 said:
MikeinDenver said:
Not very useful but the best way I have found is ~40F nights. :mrgreen:

I suspect that is the ultimate answer - lower ambient temperature and time.

However, for those who live in areas where that isn't possible I would suggest parking on the grass vs parking on surfaces (like concrete or blacktop) that may be radiating heat all night. Grass or damp earth is less likely to be radiating as much and thus may help your car cool more.

The suggesting that A/C in the cabin can cool the batteries sounds about as likely to work as leaving the refrigerator door open to cool the house :)

Definitely agree on the non paved surface if possible.

Back