What is the 2016 Nissan Leaf battery cost?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2048Megabytes

Has anyone heard what the replacement cost of the 30 kilowatt battery is in the 2016 Nissan Leaf? Is it the same $6,000 as the 2015 Nissan Leaf 24 kilowatt batteries?

2048Megabytes said:
Has anyone heard what the replacement cost of the 30 kilowatt battery is in the 2016 Nissan Leaf? Is it the same $6,000 as the 2015 Nissan Leaf 24 kilowatt batteries?

We haven't heard, but I'd be astounded if it were even close in price. Eventually, sure, but expect to pay a premium for one for a few years at least.

2048Megabytes said:
No, we don't know the price yet.

It's kilowatt hour or just kWh, NOT kW.

kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

If one charges at 1 kW (or 1000 watts) for 6 hours, 6 kWh came out of the wall. If it's at 6 kW for 1 hour, it's also 6 kWh. If it's 1 watt for 6000 hours, it's also 6 kWh.

(BTW, 1 hp = ~0.746 kW. And, many .gov sites says 1 gallon of gasoline=33.7 kWh.)

Given that it's under warranty for 5/60k, hopefully you won't have to find out what a replacement costs for quite some time. But I would anticipate that the pricing for one today would be similar on a $/kWh basis as the 24kWh. Although, but the time you actually need to buy one, I would expect that price to come down by a lot. Maybe even 50% or more.

forummm said:
Given that it's under warranty for 5/60k, hopefully you won't have to find out what a replacement costs for quite some time. But I would anticipate that the pricing for one today would be similar on a $/kWh basis as the 24kWh. Although, but the time you actually need to buy one, I would expect that price to come down by a lot. Maybe even 50% or more.
Actually, IIRC, the capacity warranty on the 30kwh Leafs is 8yr/100k!

So is the new guarantee on the 2016 Nissan Leaf lithium ion battery to not go below 70% capacity for up to 8 years or 100,000 miles?

On another subject I am hoping the next year 2017 Nissan Leaf battery is increased to 36 kilowatts per hour capacity for a range of around 103 to 125 miles on a single charge.

2048Megabytes said:
So is the new guarantee on the 2016 Nissan Leaf lithium ion battery to not go below 70% capacity for up to 8 years or 100,000 miles?

On another subject I am hoping the next year 2017 Nissan Leaf battery is increased to 36 kilowatts per hour capacity for a range of around 103 to 125 miles on a single charge.

Yes, the guarantee on the 2016 Leaf SV & SL 30Kwh batteries is to not go below 70% capacity for up to 8 years/100,000 miles...
Being currently in a 2016 SV lease, I too am intrigued about what would be the replacement pricing of the 30Kwh battery. I sure do hope, they announce pricing before the 2016 Leaf leases start to come to end of term. The replacement battery pricing would be a big factor in deciding whether to return or buyout a 2016 30Kwh model at end of lease..

If the 2017 Chevy Bolt prices out around $30,000 after incentives with a 60Kwh battery pack, the Leaf is going to face formidable competition unless it too can either offer a similar capacity battery, or offer significantly lower pricing.

2048Megabytes said:
On another subject I am hoping the next year 2017 Nissan Leaf battery is increased to 36 kilowatts per hour capacity.

As far as we know from prior statements the battery pack sizes tossed around were

24, 30, 48, 60.

So I doubt you'll see that 36 and I'd expect a huge price jump from the 30 to whatever comes after it.

It's not unbelievable to me that they could up the Nissan Leaf range to around 177 to 210 miles in range with a 60 kilowatt per hour battery for a decent price by the end of 2019. Volkswagon and Ford along with Chevrolet are stating 186 miles to 200 miles in range by 2019. General Motors is doing it in 2017.

By increasing Nissan electric car range to reliably around 105 miles and higher in range would definitely do it for me. The current 30 kilowatt per hour battery only gives about 85 miles of range from what I read driving 75 miles per hour while using air conditioning.

2048Megabytes said:
No. For 2016 Leafs per the warranty booklet:
In addition to the lithium-ion Battery Coverage for
defects in materials or workmanship, the lithiumion
battery is also warranted against capacity loss
below nine bars of capacity as shown on the
vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge for a period
of 60 months or 60,000 miles, for vehicles
equipped with the 24 kWh battery or 96 months or
100,000 miles for vehicles equipped with the 30
kWh battery, whichever comes first.
The '16 SV and SL have 30 kWh batteries while the S still has 24 kWh. You can download a copy at https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide.

Whether 9 bars still corresponds to ~70% remaining for 30 kWh Leaf, we don't know. There is a short thread at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21879 on this...
2048Megabytes said:
No! It is NOT kilowatts per hour. It is merely kilowatt hours or kilowatt-hours. See https://solarpowerrocks.com/solar-technology/what-the-hell-is-the-difference-between-a-kilowatt-kw-and-a-kilowatt-hour-kwh/ or search http://www.energylens.com/articles/kw-and-kwh for per hour. Notice the usages above don't involve slashes (/ === per).

Back