what hurts more: charging 100% at all, or time spent there?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The consensus is that temperature is a much bigger factor than SOC. Add to that, a vehicle standing ready with 100% SOC is much more practical than a vehicle standing ready with 10% SOC. But of course we have charge timers now so it is possible to almost have your cake and eat it too.. by setting the timer to finish the full charge around your estimated departure time.

Ideally I'd like to see a two dimensional graph of degradation over time as a function of both temperature (say 0C to 50C) and Voltage (say 3.0V to 4.2V) for our specific Leaf cells... Something like the lithium cobalt chart here:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries
But with better resolution, and using our cells.

ljwobker said:
Is there a way to add data points into the spreadsheet or help the community improve tracking info?
No, not really. In order to do all the calculations and have the calibration Leafs update properly when the model parameters change (e.g., particularly the percent loss per 10,000 miles and the calendar aging for one year for "normal" climate), I have to add a whole table (scroll down the calibration page to see what I mean) and change the formulas to refer to the new data point. It's rather complicated to do. Also, the main data that is lacking is for Leafs in hot climates, especially if they are 2-3 years old. That means Florida, Texas, Arizona. We need more entries in those areas to see if the model holds well in hot climates. Also, anyone who hasn't had the P3227 update is not a candidate either.

This is what the Leaf needs, a combination of the existing timer function along with the ability to set the charge level.
7738172-299847-set-of-loading-buttons-from-0-to-100-percent.jpg

There really is no reason to set a charge level less than 50%. The best method would be a slider like Tesla uses that allows 50 to 100%.

asimba2 said:
This is what the Leaf needs, a combination of the existing timer function along with the ability to set the charge level.

TomT said:
There really is no reason to set a charge level less than 50%. The best method would be a slider like Tesla uses that allows 50 to 100%.

asimba2 said:

Or best of all, a dual curve charging timer that first takes the battery to an adjustable charge, based on personal needs. So that if I arrive at home at 5, and would like to take my 30% SOC to 50% immediately, in case I decide to do something later, I can have that.

But then the timer also would allow me to specify that at 7 AM, I'd like to be at 90%, and would start charging at an appropriate time to achieve that goal later in the night...

Neither seem at all possible or ever probable in my 2012

cdherman said:
Or best of all, a dual curve charging timer that first takes the battery to an adjustable charge, based on personal needs. So that if I arrive at home at 5, and would like to take my 30% SOC to 50% immediately, in case I decide to do something later, I can have that.

But then the timer also would allow me to specify that at 7 AM, I'd like to be at 90%, and would start charging at an appropriate time to achieve that goal later in the night...

Neither seem at all possible or ever probable in my 2012
The problem with your suggestion is complexity. While technically inclined folks, such as those here at MNL, would like using such a system, what about Joe Average? A very large fraction of the population couldn't even be bothered to figure out how to set the clock on a VCR — never mind setting the actual recording timers — back when that was a common device.

Nissan and other car companies have to walk a fine line between a user interface that isn't off-putting to an average, non technically inclined, person and someone who wants it to be able to do everything.

I'd like to see the default settings dumbed down for someone who just wants to get in and drive but programmable for those who care to learn how to do so. Nevertheless, we often get questions about using the current, very simple, timers. Is it really practical to make them vastly more complex for the tiny minority who like such things?

ljwobker said:
This is probably a more generic question to battery technology than the LEAF, but here goes. If this is answered somewhere else a pointer would be great - I couldn't figure out what to search on.

I'm trying to figure out if either of these cases gives meaningfully different battery life... (somewhat simplified math, I know the charging times aren't exactly right but that's not the point so ignore it)

case 1: you come home at 8pm with the battery at 20%. You plug it in, and by midnight it's charged to 100%. It spends 8 hours charged at 100%, before you drive it off at 8am. You've had one "80% cycle".

case 2: you come home at 8pm with the battery at 20%. You plug it in but with a timer, so by 11pm it's charged to 80%. The car then spends 8 hours charged at 80%, and you re-start the charge at 7am and by 8am it's charged to 100%. In this case, you have still gone through the same cycle - one trip from 20%->100% charge. But the difference is that you've only spent 1 hour above 80%, instead of 8 hours in case 1.

So the real question is whether case 2 provides meaningfully longer battery life than case 1. Does anyone have real data on this behavior?

yes its better for scenario 2 but the differences are small and you ignore the effect of a low SOC on battery health. so yes, plugging in when you get home is a great idea and if you are that concerned with it, you should charge to 50% then shut it down. set timer to charge to full an hour or so before you leave in the morning

but is it worth the hassle. there is a danger of a high SOC and extended time at that high SOC but I believe low SOC time provides a greater danger. your car will allow you to get pretty deep into the pack but not so full... not sure that is a good thing but its done for additional range with the thought that most will plug in ASAP when they are in the 2-3% range

Back